Beth Joyner Waldron Profile picture
Apr 10, 2022 25 tweets 15 min read Read on X
Please help.

PBM CVS Caremark cold called me 2x because of my TWEETS about their Eliquis drop & resulting patient harms. A 🧵

Please RT & tag your elected leaders, media, ANYONE who can help protect patients.
#TwitterRx #MedTwitter #CardioTwitter
2) For those new to the Eliquis CVS Caremark coverage issue, take a moment to read my patient story & the issue explainer I published in @RPTHjournal : onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.10…
3) I never gave CVS social media my phone number, subscriber number or permission to access my medical records or contact my insurance plan manager. They did ALL this before cold calling me about a TWEET I made re this @FOX13Memphisnews @FOX13Mandy story fox13memphis.com/news/local/doc…
4) CVS Caremark admitted to me Friday this is standard practice! That BASED SOLEY ON A SOCIAL MEDIA POST about the company or tagging of an exec, they will routinely ACCESS A PATIENT's RECORD & contact that patient. Does HIPPA not apply? @HHSOCR
5) How this began: I was at my mom’s Thursday when I got the first call out of the blue from N. (I will respect his privacy unlike them) who said he was calling on behalf of CVS Caremark’s President.
I said ‘from Dr Alan Lotvin?’
N. said ‘No, the Office of Karen Lynch’.
6) He began by saying ‘I see you have a prior authorization for Eliquis, so why are you are upset on twitter if you have your medication…’

OMG!!!
7) It was then that I realized I had upset the folks who have the power to approve or deny my future prior authorization requests for my life-saving medications. I felt small.
8) Do HIPPA privacy protections apply to PBMs @HHSOCR? It seems mine & my family’s medical/drug life is fodder for the folks at Caremark to pass around at any time, for any reason. Something said on social media should not be sufficient reason to access a patient record!!
9) If I wanted help with a prescription issue, I’d call customer service; I last called December. To use my Twitter ID to deduce my Insurance #, browse my meds, get my phone # to cold call me to catch me off guard to ding me for my patient advocacy? Stalker level crazy.
10) N. had also contacted my insurance plan’s account manager. He said ‘I understand the NC State Health Plan reversed the Eliquis drop 2/9 after some folks were very vocal in January’.
11) Yes, my plan @NCTreasurer did the right thing & reinstated Eliquis at the 2/9 P&T meeting after it was reported 2 thromboembolic events occurred among patients Caremark forced to switch anticoagulants for non-medical reasons. I'm grateful to my plan for taking quick action.
12) However, NC State Health Plan patients have still not been notified Eliquis is available again. I only found out by chance. They sent letters to 5,113 plan patients on Eliquis in November dropping our med, but no notification at all letting us know we have it back.
13) I asked about that & he put me on hold.
I was told some correspondence went in the mail this week & I must not have gotten it yet. 🙄 Y'all the change was done 2/9.
The next answer...it’s on the formulary on the website if patients go search for it! I called BS on that.
14) I was told my advocacy & that of @ASH_hematology & @ACCinTouch & 14 other nonprofits is misplaced. That it was up to the ~7,000 individual insurance employer plans in the Caremark network to add Eliquis back, like my plan did, not Caremark at the national level.
15) So, these 7,000 plans simultaneously on 1/1 decided to drop Eliquis? Please.
Caremark has a base national formulary (covered drug list). Companies/plans then have the choice to accept, reject or modify it. CVS dropped Eliquis at the national level, they can add it back.
16) Eliquis was dropped because Caremark cut a financially better rebate (kickback) deal with the makers of a competing drug, Xarelto. Period. It was not for clinical reasons.
17) In fact studies show Eliquis to be clinically more effective with less clot & major bleeding than alternatives. Even @POTUS takes it. But the 1 in 3 Americans whom Caremark covers apparently don’t deserve access to this save effective top therapeutic? I told him thusly
18) It's not just me.
Here’s what the American Society of Hematology @ASH_hematology told Caremark about it:

"gravely concerned"
"serious impact" on patients
"ASH urges CVS to reconsider"

They cite clinical data showing bleed risk, outcomes.
hematology.org/-/media/hemato…
19) And @advcardiohealth & 14 co-signing nonprofits told CVS it was a bad idea too:
"this abrupt change will be dangerously disruptive for patients"
"unquestionably exacerbate health equity concerns that exist in cardiovascular care"
static1.squarespace.com/static/56e6efd…
20) ACC & ASH doctors even met with Caremark medical leadership to express their concerns on Dec 22 & March 8. Caremark advised doctors to address SAFETY CONCERNS with switching to other anticoagulants in their prior auth requests. CVS KNEW.
acc.org/Latest-in-Card…
21) So it should not be surprising to Caremark that the predicted adverse events are happening. Stroke in NC, bleeds in Maryland, Tenn, it's nationwide. They were warned. Yet rather than show concern for those patients & reverse policy they focus on a patient TWEETING?
22) How can a company whose mission is health clearly KNOW in advance that a policy will cause patient harm, proceed & when those harms happen STILL won’t budge? Why?! What is the $$ arrangement between @CVSHealth @JanssenUS @bmsnews preventing quality patient care?
23) I have been a vocal patient voice. When I received the letter from Caremark dropping my med of 8 years, I got busy organizing, volunteered w/ nonprofits, published, gave @FTC testimony. CVS KNEW who I was when they called me for 54 minutes.
24) As a patient w/ a life-threatening condition dependent upon meds, I feel threatened by my insurance pharmacy benefit manager accessing my private medical records without need & using it to influence my advocacy. I am a captive PBM consumer. Patient protections are needed.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Beth Joyner Waldron

Beth Joyner Waldron Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BethWaldron

Feb 27
Congress is failing to address PBM reform without ever calling patients to testify.
The PBM execs have spoken.
The pharma execs have spoken.
Since apparently the only public platform patients have is social media, let me give an example how patients are being harmed.
🧵1/
Patients are caught between PBMs & pharma. Let's use as example a drug class so effective & popular they are the #1 (Eliquis) & #3 (Xarelto) federal drug expenditures. Even @JoeBiden & multiple members of Congress take them: anticoagulants aka 'blood thinners'. 2/ Image
Here's my last receipt for Eliquis.
Retail price = $ 713.33
Per recent Senate testimony, cost of production (1 month supply) = $ 1.50
Lifesaving. Used to treat/prevent blood clots such as DVT/PE & stroke caused by afib. Yet affordable only w/ good insurance coverage. 3/ Image
Read 16 tweets
Jan 12
🚨EXPOSED🚨
$CVS manager admits: “I don’t give a f*ck about this G-D job”.
PBMs determine WHICH drugs we can access, WHERE & their COST. Imagine being a patient forced to obtain critical medications only from this pharmacy.🧵1/
(Warning: video contains offensive language.)
For patients, the video's less-than-professional pharmacy environment simply reflects a final indignity faced when acquiring prescription drugs & vaccinations. There's often not the consumer freedom to go elsewhere. This MUST change as vertical corp integration rises. 2/ Image
Corporations like CVS Health have a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders, not to patients. They can per federal regulatory blessing steer patients to patronize other businesses they own & to formulary drugs w/ the highest profit margin they get kickbacks on from pharma. /3 Image
Read 11 tweets
Oct 23, 2023
A death due to PBM practices.

1 in 4 people die from clot related conditions. Anticoagulants treat/prevent. Yet insurer PBMs routinely put up barriers to these effective, life-saving drugs. Adverse events result. 🧵@linakhanFTC @BedoyaFTC @HELPCmteDems @GOPHELP @RebeccaDRobbins Image
Anticoagulants MUST be added to @HHSGov @CMSGov protected drug class! Given their importance to prevent clot & inherit risks in this medication class, namely bleeding, this MUST be done ASAP @BrooksLaSureCMS to protect patients. PBMs are unqualified to manage anticoagulation. Image
Additionally, these dangerous PBM tactics used to reduce patient access to effective clot preventing anticoagulants are well known & documented, but despite pleas we are still waiting for basic patient protections. Time for HHS, FTC & Congress to act! onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/rt…
Read 5 tweets
Sep 12, 2023
New GAO report on drug rebates leaves no doubt that PBM formulary placement & utilization management decisions are NOT influenced by efficacy, safety, or medical need---as we've been told. Rather $$$
gao.gov/products/gao-2…
"All plan sponsors and drug manufacturers had rebate agreements where manufacturers offered rebates for their drug based on the condition that competitor drugs be subject to restrictions in order to limit their utilization." Wow, think about how that motivates PBM decisions.
The #1 drug for adverse events, anticoagulant class= 17% rebates, 10% expenditures, 3% utilization. Are we really OK with a risky drug class's selection & management being determined not by clinical judgement alone but by non-transparent corporate financial considerations?
Read 4 tweets
May 10, 2023
.@SenTedBuddNC In today's @GOPHELP you asked PBMs about their rationale for how how formulary placement impacts patients ability to fill prescriptions from their doctors. You were told it was based on clinical evaluation. This is not true. I have the evidence to prove it. Image
I & 150,000 stable heart patients at risk for stroke & clot were forced off our long time medication by the largest PBM against our doctors wishes. 17 nonprofits said it was dangerous, largest cardiology nonprofit drafting clinical care guidelines met multiple times w/ the PBM. Image
It was only after 6 months of increasing news stories & social media of adverse events (strokes & bleeds) began getting shared more widely (some among your constituents in NC) that the PBM finally reversed their decision & added the drug back to national formulary. Image
Read 7 tweets
Oct 17, 2022
🚨🚨🚨 EXCLUSIVE AUDIO of senior CVS Caremark executives disparaging patients as "brand terrorists" who Tweet about poor PBM service accessing medications or score them low on satisfaction surveys.🧵1/
Audio is from a PBM Operations town hall event. Topic is a shift in methodology with the “Net Promotor Score” (NPS) which will allow CVS Caremark to minimize “detractors” to skew data towards being able to report more positive consumer satisfaction survey results. 2/
Survey design matters. $CVS Medicare Advantage product recently received a SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER govt rating driven by poor consumer survey results. CVS refuted the govt survey(by @CMSGov @AHRQNews) in SEC filing saying CVS's own internal surveys show higher + results. 3/
Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(