Dr Monique Ryan MP Profile picture
May 14, 2022 7 tweets 6 min read Read on X
We woke up this morning and our beautiful mural (left) had been painted over (right).

Imagine being the painter sent to whitewash over “Active Hope”!

#ActiveHope #Mon4Kooyong #KooyongVotes #ausvotes
The mural comprised 4 panels, one designed by long-term Kew resident W.H. Chong, the remainder by renowned Melbourne designer Georgia Perry. The mural was painted by Wall Lords, a local arts group.

Left: statements from W.H. Chong and Wall Lords
Right: Jess from Wall Lords
Our political opponents are accusing us of vandalism(!), but the story is much more complex than that.

Something happened between Tuesday and Friday, and we’re hoping to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

We have been subjected to so many dirty tricks!

Our amazing volunteers came together at Kew Junction at midday today to show that this community movement will not be bullied.

We refuse to be intimidated.
It was an incredible display of the energy and positivity of our wonderful community.

If you've been near our campaign, you'll know we're having so much fun!
Our beautiful mural didn't last long, and we're pretty upset at how this was handled.

But we aren't about to let our "active hope" be extinguished!
The real vandals are the forces that caused the mural to be painted over before the paint was dry!

Fortunately, they missed one!

The climate is truly changing in Kooyong.

Carry water. Chop wood. Find those last 500 votes.

#ActiveHope #Mon4Kooyong #KooyongVotes

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Monique Ryan MP

Dr Monique Ryan MP Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Mon4Kooyong

Apr 5
If you want to understand just how broken our HECS system is, here is a quick story 🧵

A few weeks ago, someone approached me at a community forum to tell me about her kids.
She has four kids. All have completed university degrees; all have significant HECS debts. Some had been able to get on top of their HECS debts, but she was particularly worried about her fourth child.
He studied locally to become a pilot, and now works in the Northern Territory, flying sick kids to and from remote communities to Darwin Hospital. It’s important work, but the pay isn't amazing.
Read 8 tweets
Nov 12, 2023
🧵 Today, I'm introducing my first Private Member's Bill and launching the national #CleanUpPoliticsAct campaign:

It's time to shine a light on lobbying in this country.cleanuppoliticsact.com.au
Lobbyists representing everything from Big Coal to the gambling industry are undermining the government’s efforts to take real climate action and manage the cost of living crisis.

I’ve been in Parliament for 18 months now and I’ve seen it first hand, it’s shocking.
Politicians are outnumbered by lobbyists 15 to one.

On any one day, hundreds of them roam the halls in Canberra, secretly meeting with Ministers to influence government policies so they favour vested interests, not the public interest.
Read 7 tweets
Oct 15, 2022
It's been interesting to watch the Liberal’s PR work this week.

They clearly think the concerns some of my cross-bench colleagues and I have about the Stage 3 cuts is their golden ticket back in with the public.

I don’t think they’ve learned anything from the election…

🧵1/
My constituents in Kooyong understand the economy.

They understand the challenges Australia is facing including debt, inflation & cost of living pressures.

They understand a budget. They know the significance of our debt and the burden of paying that debt into the future.

2/
People in Kooyong are keenly attuned to how govs collect & spend taxpayers’ $

That’s why they chose to replace a sitting Treasurer—whose gov wasted billions on rorts & pork-barrelling—with an Independent elected on a platform of integrity & transparency in public spending.

3/
Read 9 tweets
Aug 4, 2022
My independent colleagues & I have worked collaboratively, constructively & with conviction to secure vital amendments to the climate change Bill, locking in a 43% starting point for emissions reduction.

Proud to be doing politics differently.

(@ChaneyforCurtin here in spirit!) Image
Today I successfully moved an amendment on behalf of my colleague Kate Chaney @ChaneyforCurtin (who is unwell) ensuring the Bill states its function to actually drive climate action, and that this action is linked to the best available science.
My colleague @zdaniel successfully amended the Bill to confirm that 43% is the minimum target for emissions reduction, paving the way for more ambitious targets. My colleague @KyleaTink has amended the Bill to secure greater transparency over advice on climate action.
Read 6 tweets
May 19, 2022
⚠️ Do you know anyone who tested positive for COVID between Saturday and Tuesday 6pm? 🦠

Unless they have already voted or applied for a postal vote before now, they won’t be able to vote at all.

This is a major problem. 🧵

#ausvotes #KooyongVotes
Here’s the story. If you tested positive for COVID you have to isolate for 7 days. Which means not voting in person.

So the @AusElectoralCom has helpfully set up phone voting for this election, so if you test positive today you’ll still be able to vote.

So far, so good…
BUT the @AusElectoralCom only offers phone voting to people who tested positive after Tuesday 6pm.

Anyone who tested positive between Saturday and Tuesday 6pm and hasn't applied for a postal vote… can’t vote.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(