Dr. Phil Metzger Profile picture
May 29, 2022 27 tweets 10 min read Read on X
Another interesting fact: a lot of the darker, new tiles (the replacements) are located over antennas, which we sometimes used as convenient access points for airframe structural inspections between flights. /1
2/ You can tell these are the antenna locations by the four white chevrons painted onto the tiles around each antenna. We used those to align ground-testing antennas to verify the comm/nav systems worked before the next flight.
3/ Another interesting fact: each tile has a hole in it with a white circle painted around the hole so technicians could find it. That hole was used to inject water-proofing spray into the inside of every single tile before each rollout to the launch pad. I marked a few examples:
4/ Oh, but why did we have to spray water-proofing spray inside each and every Space Shuttle tile before every launch? Those tiles protect against the super hot plasma during re-entry from space, and we know there isn’t any water up there! I’m glad you asked…
5/ The problem was that the Space Shuttle had to sit through frequent rainstorms while it was on the launch pad, and if rain seeped into the tiles then it would add a huge amount of weight to the vehicle, which could prevent it from achieving the desired orbit.
6/ But why weren’t the tiles simply sealed so the rain couldn’t get in? I mean, if you had to cut a hole in the surface to inject the water-proofing spray, then the water shouldn’t be able to get in anyhow, right? Well no, because we couldn’t actually seal the tiles. Why not?…
7/ Because the tiles were 90% hollow and were filled with air, and when the Space Shuttle flew up into the vacuum of space, the air needed to easily get out of the tiles or then pressure would make them explode and then they would not protect the Shuttle during landing.
8/ But why were they 90% hollow? Because the whole point of them was to be excellent insulators during hot re-entry from space. They were made of tiny silica fibers that barely touched each other so heat could barely conduct through them.
9/ Here’s an interesting video on how they were made. They were such good insulators you could heat them to glowing-hot while holding them in your hand. newsflare.com/video/173291/w…
10/ So then, if they had to let air out while launching, and the coating couldn’t keep water out, then why have the coating? Two reasons. 1st, to be a smooth surface so the plasma would flow without turbulence over the surface during entry to minimize heating. And…
11/ 2nd, to have high emissivity in the desired wavelengths so heat that *did* get into the tiles from the hot plasma would radiate back to space more easily than go into the skin of the Space Shuttle. Thus, they were black over the hotter parts, white over the cooler parts.
12/ So they were hollow, filled with air that needed to get out while the Shuttle was “going uphill”, but they had to be coated which would restrict the air getting out. So the coating was simply left off near the base of every tile, allowing the air an escape path.
13/ So that escape path for the air meant that the rain could get into the tiles before launch, weighing the vehicle down tremendously, and that would have been a giant problem!
14/ Part of the reason this problem was so giant was that the silica fibers that make up the body of each tile are hydrophilic — “water loving”. Water clings to it. Any water that got into a tile would never want to come out again. It would become happy water inside its new home.
15/ Materials are sometimes classified as hydrophobic — water tries to get away from it — or hydrophilic — water clings to it. The coating on this leaf is hydrophobic, so water beads-up and wants to run off the leaf. (Source: scitechdaily.com/more-efficient…)
16/ The fibers in jeans are hydrophilic, so if you go snow skiing you get wet. That’s why, back in the day, we used Scotchgard on jeans to go skiing. Scotchgard is hydrophobic. It’s pretty much the same thing we sprayed into Shuttle tiles.
17/ Remember learning about a meniscus back in high school or college chemistry lab? It’s that curve of the water inside a glass container. That’s because glass is hydrophilic, so water loves it and wants to climb up the sides of the glass. Shuttle tile fibers are silica (glass).
18/ After installing the tiles, we could not get access to the uncoated parts of the tile to spray “Scotchgard” into each tile to keep the rain out, so they had to poke the little holes in the coating of each tile (in the little circles in this picture) to inject the spray. But…
19/ …now your gonna ask, why not just spray in the Scotchgard BEFORE installing the tiles, when we still had access to the uncoated parts near the base of each tile? Wouldn’t that be easier than injecting each tile one-by-one AFTER installation? Well…
20/ The problem was that the “Scotchgard” burns out of the tiles during that super hot re-entry. It was vaporized by the heat and then it escaped from the tiles the same way the air escaped. So we had to reinject it into every tile all over again before every flight.
21/ So we had hollow tiles for heat protection, high emissivity coating on the tiles, a gap in the coating to let the air out, Scotchgard for inside the tiles to keep the rain out, and tiny holes to spray the Scotchgard in after every landing before going back out to the pad. BUT
22/ There was still one problem. Sometimes the Shuttle came back from a mission, freshly burned-out from all its Scotchgard, and before it was towed back to the hangar a thunderstorm rolled in and the tiles got soaked full of water. Florida weather changes fast.
23/ So then we are back to square one: how do we get those tons of water to come back out of the hydrophilic tiles before spraying in the new Scotchgard? Heat lamps did not work. It just moved the water around the outside of the vehicle to the cold side, never leaving the tiles.
24/ I used to be a Space Shuttle comm/nav engineer and later became a physicist. My first physics project at NASA was to study how to get water out of the Space Shuttle tiles. I did experiments filling them with water and sucking it back out using a vacuum hose on the same holes.
25/ It was a really cool condensed matter project because the water droplets did a directed (but randomized) walk through the fibers, with denser fibers holding the water more tightly so it was diffusion thru random potential wells. It resulted in stretched exponential curves.
26/ In the end we used those results to help decide how long to suck on the tiles before removing the suction cups and moving on to the next batch of tiles. The system could suck the Shuttle dry in a few days, whereas heat lamps took months and still couldn’t get the water out.
27/ So when I look at Shuttle tiles I think of those 2 things: the white chevrons marking the comm/nav antennas which I worked on for 10 years as part of the launch team, then the tiny holes where we sucked water out after (later) becoming a physicist. Fond memories! /end

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr. Phil Metzger

Dr. Phil Metzger Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrPhiltill

Jul 18
A little background. The earlier version of this mission was the Resource Prospector Mission. When Jim Bridenstine was appointed NASA Administrator, NASA cancelled it without his permission just hours before he was sworn in. I can’t confirm this, but rumors say he was livid! /1
2/ Mr. Bridenstine was appointed by Pres. Trump, and the Trump Transition Team had people assigned to plan space policy. They were calling people for input. I got one such call and the person told me they not only WEREN’T going to cancel Resource Prospector, but instead…
3/ …they were thinking about having MANY Resource Prospector missions. We talked about what would be the scientific, engineering, and economic value of building multiple copies of the mission. There was strong interest in the lunar ice to support building a sustainable program.
Read 17 tweets
Jun 22
Ok, here’s a little thread of some of the recent, awesome fluid dynamics content on here.

1. Checkout the computer modeling of airflow over an aircraft!

1/N
2. Vortices made visible by water vapor

/2
3. Just awesome! Look how the rings pull each other toward the end.
Read 14 tweets
Jun 12
Four other problems with landing on a flat pad, even if it is a steel with water deluge.

(I’m assuming the larger size of the Super Heavy booster is why they can’t use flat concrete like ordinary booster landings.)

The four problems: … /1
1/ You need enough surface area around the base of the rocket for the gas to flow out, or the engines will choke. Imagine a cylinder extended below the rocket to the ground. The exterior of that cylinder must exceed the exit area of all the rocket nozzles that are firing. Image
2/ With more engines firing you would need longer legs to keep that area large enough. If not, then the flow will choke meaning it goes subsonic and super high temperature and pressure, comparable to inside the combustion chamber, which can destroy the nozzles or engines.
Read 9 tweets
Jun 10
If I had to guess it would be this: same exact material as the existing tiles but just a wee bit thicker. Here is why…

1/N
2/ Here is what they look like on the inside. They are something like 98% empty space, and the rest is a glass fiber. The fibers touch each other along small contacts, so thermal conductivity is very low. (The scale bar is 100 microns, or 0.1 millimeter.)
3/ This is an extreme case of a “granular material” where the grains are long fibers. I did research on shuttle tiles when I worked in a physics lab at NASA, and I did research on thermal conductivity through granular materials, so I can report something interesting about this. Image
Read 14 tweets
Jun 4
This was the same reaction the science team had during the Apollo program — surprise that bone-dry soil could have so much cohesion! See the clods in the footpad image, especially. Short 🧵 1/N
2/ Closeup image of the clods. These are likely very porous, low density clods — very fluffy material — that will easily fall apart between your fingers. Yet they are in blocky shapes somehow held together as the footpad impacted and disrupted the ground. Image
3/ The first hint of this came from the famous boot print made by @TheRealBuzz. Scientists’ jaws dropped when they saw the clean, vertical sidewalls of this print in such dry, fluffy material! How could the sidewalls stand straight without any moisture?! Image
Read 18 tweets
Apr 28
Untrue. This does touch on something related that actually happened, which people have apparently distorted and used to prop up the dumb conspiracy theory. I will explain… 1/N
2/ First I’ll tell you what I know about the videos, then the telemetry.

When I analyzed the plume effects of the lunar landings, starting in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I tracked down the original data. One of the guys on my team worked with Houston to get the videos.
3/ The originals had been converted to digital and this was more convenient for us to use, since we wouldn’t need reel-to-reel NTSC video equipment, so this is what we got. I had high resolution copies of all the landing videos. There was no lost video. It all exists.
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(