Mark Krutov Profile picture
Jun 14, 2022 15 tweets 6 min read Read on X
🧵See the nickname on that door? This is the door in the basement of local school in Yahidne, Chernihiv region, Ukraine. 300+ locals were kept there by Russian soldiers in inhuman conditions for 26 days. This tag allowed me to find the woman who left it and she told me her story.
They were kept in this basement from March 4rd till March 31rd. See the names right and left of the "calendar"? On the right are those who died in the basement itself, on the left – those who were killed by Russians or died "upstairs" during the shelling.
Evgeniya is the name of the woman. By the time Russians came in she lived in Yahidne with her family, including grandfather who recently had a stroke and was unable to move. They all survived, but 10 people in the basement died from hunger, lack of fresh air and medications.
Nearly all Russian soldiers who kept them in the basement were from Tuva, republic in south-central Siberia, one of the poorest and least-developed regions of Russia. Ukrainian authorities claim they collected evidence to charge at least 9 of them.
Some of them have recent posts on VK like nothing happened (archive.ph/c0cZJ). None of them replied to my messages: why keep 300 civilians together? They all had their own houses with basements, where they used to hide from shelling before.
Russian soldiers provided their prisoners with the minimum amounts of food and water. The first elderly man in the basement died a week after it all started. "He just didn’t wake up when we tried to give him some food", – says Valeriya.
Soldiers didn't allow to bury all the bodies immediately after the death. They only allowed to bring them to this boiler room, giving their clearance when at least 5 bodies were "accumulated" there.
When Russians had to retreat from Chernihiv, many of those kept in this "basement of death" were able to walk out for the first tome in 26 days – just to find their houses destroyed and totally looted.
Now the whole family is in Germany. They want to return, but Yahidne is still being shelled. They lost almost everything but saved their lives. I know It’s on the brink of ethical for me, but if you want to help them – PayPal leralepekha03@gmail.com.
And please read full story here (use google translate). Things like that should never happen again. svoboda.org/a/podval-smert…
Story continues: two of the guys accused by UA prosecutor's office in atrocities in Yahidne are already dead, as I was told by the wife of Nazyty Mongush. She confirmed her husband was there too, but he is alive.
She rejects accusations on behalf of her husband: "They fed them [civilians in Yahidne]. Our husbands won’t hurt a fly. My husband cried when he saw how they have to live: shops were closed, he helped one guy to find the diapers for his son".
She says some guys from the list never have been to Yahidne. "Probably Ukraine got this list when their car was bombed".
There’s one more interesting detail: Russian command also investigated the case of Yahidne, but found that soldiers are not guilty.
After this fruitful conversation she deleted some of her messages and closed her VK, as well as did her husband, and said she will report me to FSB ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mark Krutov

Mark Krutov Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @kromark

May 16
Aftermath of the 2 Ukrainian strikes on Belbek airfield over 2 consecutive nights, as seen in a HR satellite image by @planet from May 16. At least several MiG-31s appear to be destroyed + a fuel depot (according to Wikimapia). Another scorch mark is visible at 44.6857, 33.5590.
Reference image in the video above is taken on May 1st, several planes changed their position since then, several are not seen on May 16 image. Still @planet May 16 HR image: Image
Read 6 tweets
May 7
🧵/ link in the last post. We found a TikTok videos posted by a Russian woman who identified the American serviceman Gordon Black as her “husband.” He adored Trump, called NATO 'aggressive', finally lost his love and went to Russia to get her back. What could have gone wrong?
We watched dozens of videos posted by Vladivostok native Aleksandra Vashchuk, including at least one showing Black in his U.S. Army fatigues. She refers to Black as “my pindos,” a Russian slur word for Americans.
Looks like Black was an army drill instructor.
Read 19 tweets
Apr 27
1/4 Aftermath of the Ukrainian drone strike on the Rosneft oil depot in Razdorovo, Smolensk Oblast, on Apr. 24th, as seen in a @planet satellite image captured this morning, on April 27th.
2/4 Still @planet image: Image
3/4 These attacks have become very annoying for Russia, prompting them to seek a solution such as covering the fuel tanks with the infamous 'mangals'. This is Slavyansk-na-Kubani oil refinery, which was attacked today, reports claim no serious damage incurred. Image
Read 5 tweets
Apr 11
🧵Remember this guy? Artem Uss, son of a high-ranked Russian official, accused of smuggling military technology used in the invasion of Ukraine was facing extradition to the US – until he was sprung from house arrest and spirited back to Moscow in a successful escape plot. Image
Using materials provided by the Italian police and evidence filed by US prosecutors, my colleagues @mike_eckel and @maja_zivanovic reconstructed how Uss fled a gated community in suburban Milan, crossed three borders, and ended up flying home to Russia from Belgrade. Image
Italian prosecutors have implicated six people in the plot. 3 are in custody, awaiting extradition to the US. The other three remain at large. One of those even has been awarded a North Pole trip by Russia for helping Uss to escape. srbija.ru/news/15813-id
Read 12 tweets
Apr 5
🧵'Go and have a blast. Tear out the gold teeth from corpses, loot and bring home whatever you want'. Together with @pustota, we found out that Dmitry Karavaichik, the 'Russian Walter White,' recently visited a prison to agitate convicts to sign contracts with the Russian MoD.
In 2017, Karavaichik and his wife were sentenced to 17 and 16 years in prison, respectively, for producing and selling methamphetamine. Image
In 2022, Karavaichik joined the Wagner troops in Ukraine and received a pardon within six months, immediately signing a second contract after that. Image
Read 10 tweets
Mar 23
1/2 Together with @Maja_Zivanovic we found and old VK account of Muhammad Faizov, one of the alleged perpetrators of Moscow attack. Nothing points to any Ukraine connections, while lots of photos hint that he took part in the assault for a reason. archive.is/ufCd8

2/2 This photo was taken in Moscow near yet another large concert hall, Moscow House of Music (), and posted by Faizov back in 2016. For more details read here: maps.app.goo.gl/JrTKuacQ2sPo4p…
t.me/radiosvoboda/5…
A VK account of yet another alleged perpetrator of attack, Shokhin Sofolzoda. He has the first one (Fayzov/Faizov) among friends, and his VK photos match those published by Russian TG accounts. archive.is/euWZn
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(