Anurag Singh Profile picture
Jun 29, 2022 20 tweets 10 min read Read on X
#Blinkit & #Zomato – Long thread:

1/n
Blurred to Opaque to Muddy
How to leverage a listed company to recover losses from failed ventures/adventures?

Danny DeVito famously said in namesake movie – There is only one thing I love more than my money -
"other people’s money"
2/n
Zomato announced that it plans to acquire Blinkit for a “consideration” of $ 578 Mn. We will revisit valuation later. Below is the snapshot of financials.

Who pays $578 Mn on unaudited financials of just 2 mths ? Not even even 1 quarter nos are provided.
@SEBI listening?
3/n
Is the company really growing topline at 162% as claimed ? This invites some curiosity. Where are the past YoY nos ?
I tried to dig out what I could with public reported info. Here is what the past looks like for #Blinkit .Revenues touched Rs 177 Cr in FY 2020 before covid
4/n
As quoted by the founders, pandemic “accelerated path to profitability” for Grofers & it was planning a listing by FY 2021.
No surprise the Rev. grew in FY’20, never mind the loss of Rs 637 Cr to “earn” a revenue of Rs 177 Cr.
5/n
Building narratives is a part of startup playbook. Delivering on guidance…. not important. After all who’s tracking ?
Have a glimpse of the narratives built for planned listing:
2019 – “We’re on track to deliver GMV of Rs 5000 Cr in FY’20”
Actual number ? Try searching !
6/n
2020 – Another bullish guidance:
“Grofers aims to reach $ 1 BN (Rs 7800 Cr) GOV by end of 2020”.
Actual achievement ? Try searching !
They haven’t achieved even half of this in latest reported numbers for 2022.
7/n
2021 – Another year, another guidance.
“Grofers is expecting to touch Rs 10,000 Cr by March 2021 as covid accelerated shift to e-commerce”.
Actual numbers ? Try searching !
Who's tracking?
8/n
2022 – the bull takes a breather. So it scaled down to its earlier projection of $ 1 BN GMV.
Dec 2021 – “Current GMV run rate is $ 600 Mn(Rs 4680 Cr) & aiming to hit annualized GMV of $ 1 BN for FY'22”
Notice that it is “monthly run rate”, not actual sales for the year.
9/n
Enter June 2022.
May be it was time to disclose something in “actual numbers” since Blinkit is getting acquired by a listed company. What does the company disclose ? Jan & May’22 nos only.
Why do you need anything more for "just" $ 578 Mn acquisition?
10/n
Let’s save that trouble for #Zomato. Here is how the YoY financial snapshot looks like:
Extrapolating Jan 2022 financials for the year, we see:

Revenues grew 50% in FY’22 after years since FY’20
#Blinkit is spending Rs 2713 Cr (Jan nos. x12) to "sell" orders of Rs 3546 Cr
11/n
More importantly, Blinkit is spending Rs 2448 Cr to “earn” a revenue of Rs 265 Cr. This for a company started in 2015.

2020 – Grofers says “it turned operationally profitable in 27 cities” with 2.6 Mn new customers.
2022 Jan - Blinkit has just 1.6 Mn active users
12/n
2021: Grofers now says “it plans to achieve profitability in 2021”. Roadmap to list in 2021 is intact, so of course are the stories that need to go along.
Actual profitability numbers for FY 21 ? Not disclosed
13/n
2022 June: Post acquisition plan, the tone is much subtle.
#Zomato CFO says “Given the early stage of business, it is very hard to commit a timeline for profitability……..it is possible in next 3 yrs, but it is an educated guess, not a guidance”.
Bravo !
14/n
Where does this brazen confidence come from ? This is where it turns from opaque to muddy.

#Zomato says the acquisition price is $ 578 Mn. Really ?

Zomato already had 9% stake. So valuation of Blinkit is higher.
Add to this another $ 150 Mn “loan” given in March 2020.
15/n
So what does the valuation of Blinkit add up to?
$578 Mn +57 Mn +150 Mn – cash on B/S)
Total = $ 720 Mn.
This is the actual price paid by Zomato for Blinkit.

Do you now how much money has been raised & spent by Grofers & Blinkit since 2015 ?
You guessed it : $ 700 Mn.
16/n
So how was the valuation of Blinkit arrived at ?
$ 700 Mn has been sunk in Grofers/Blinkit since inception. All that money has to be recovered by VCs. Since listing plans got derailed, plan B is to take money out from one of their own listed entities.
Welcome #Zomato
17/n
You don't even need hard cash. Bonus shares of Zomato are issued with share dilution of ~8%.
$ 700 Mn of losses in a failed venture Grofers (#Blinkit) is recovered in one shot in form of shares of the listed entity #Zomato.
Well played !!
18/n
Conclusion:

My concern is not with the promotors or VCs of #Zomato. After all they are in the business to make money & recover losses where they can.
My question is to the mutual funds who are investing retail money in such muddy ventures.
19/n

#DoorDash in US is valued at $ 28 BN in a $ 25 TN economy. An Indian replica venture with much poor metrics can’t be worth $ 8 BN. Zomato looks overpriced by 3x.
See comparison below:
n/n

Mutual funds who bought #Zomato are saying out loud –
We love to play with “Other people’s money”

I said this about #Paytm IPO in Nov'21. And it is worth repeating here:

If your mutual fund is still holding #Zomato
STOP that #SIP

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Anurag Singh

Anurag Singh Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @anuragsingh_as

Feb 14
Follow up Thread 🧵: Farmers Protests:
They’re back!
If Karl Marx were to hear about the farmers protests today, there is a chance that he would be back too. Just like the farmers are back with the same old MSP demand, that is not only un-justified but unethical too.#FarmerProtest2024Image
See the picture above Does the farmer in the picture needs a govt subsidy or support?
The gentleman circled in red is a typical rich farmer. What about those circled in blue, that are almost forgotten in background. Now who needs govt support? Who needs the MSP?
Marx would define these farmers as classic “Bourgeoise” that us “Proletariats” should fight against. But there is something that either motivates them or keeps them dis-satisfied.
What forces the wealthiest (Yes) ones to come out, protest for higher prices for farm produce?
Read 26 tweets
Jan 30
Short Thread: HDFC BANK
Why are the FIIs selling the largest bank?

A classic case of different paradigms – You have a framework of valuation & begin to wonder why the world is not getting it? There are 2 options – Either understand the other paradigm or change yours. #HDFCBankImage
I’m not sure if you will change your valuation framework. But at the end of this post, you will definitely understand why FIIs may be selling.
I’ve always been perplexed by this comparison that I’ll share now. Let's take a quick dive -
Book size:
Look at the top 3 US banks that collectively control 45% of assets & lending amongst US banks. Compare the size & scale.
HDFC bank is appx 1/10th of a Bank of America(BOA) in assets. JP Morgan is 12x & Wells Fargo is 6x of HDFC in assets.Image
Read 15 tweets
Dec 27, 2023
LONG THREAD: SBI Cards IPO Follow-up:
Revisiting the #SBIcards IPO thread (Mar-2020). IPO price - 755, price today - 768.
In Mar'20, I quoted "They say market is a great teacher. If this one makes money for investors, I definitely would have missed some lecture in investing".Image
Well, looks like some of us did learn something. Markets at all time highs, SBI cards is still flat since 3 years. I don’t want to sound arrogant claiming victory. We are all learning here. So let's revisit what SBI cards promised (or implied) & what it delivered. Here we go -
Cards in force & spends:
We see glossy numbers again in FY23 annual report: 22% YoY growth in cards,30% YoY in receivables. What is the benchmark? Is it good enough vs IPO projections? Why are the graphics starting from 2019, exactly when the pre IPO disclosures end ????Image
Read 21 tweets
Sep 19, 2023
LONG THREAD: Golden Era for Indian Equities - Behind or Ahead ?
As Nifty crossed 20K, time to take stock of what returns to expect in future?
Examine the journey so far & a critical analysis on CAGR returns which are not quite the story we’re sold. Let’s go for a ride:
1/n Image
We’ve all heard this story. Had you invested in Sensex at inception in 1979, you got 660x returns, CAGR of ~17% . Simple math- Sensex started at 100 & now is hovering at 66,000.
If only making money was that easy. Argument is not that strong if we scratch below the surface.
2/n
I’ll make an effort to validate if there is more to this story than meets the eye. And there is.
As most funds like to present the market returns since inception in 1979, it is important to see the Indian stock market history in 4 distinct decades.
3/n
Read 25 tweets
Dec 23, 2022
The golden era of Indian stock markets - Behind or Ahead of us?

My piece for ⁦⁦@EconomicTimes⁩ analysing Indian markets since inception in 1979.

economictimes.indiatimes.com/prime/money-an…
I’ll post a thread later if you can’t read behind the paywall.
Here is the detailed article in 10 tweets thread if you were unable to read behind paywall -
1/10
Read 13 tweets
May 7, 2022
LIC IPO - Long Thread:
This could be the most hated thread of mine, coz who can argue with LIC fan base? But if your money is not going the right way, I’ll raise questions like I always do. With $3BN riding on #LICIPO , this could be the saving bet for many. Or so you hope…🧵
2/n
India’s Insurance density (Premiums/population) is very low & you will hear this most from insurers. India at $59 per capita premium appears to be in its "infancy" with huge upside ahead. Even with a base of 1.4 Bn people, this does look attractive for high growth. Right ?
3/n
Until you look at the YoY trend below (not found in DRHP, obviously). India has been stuck in this range since 2009. In-fact we have a falling trend with some spurts. This hardly looks like a growth market to me. So what happened here ? We’ll examine this later.
Read 24 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(