isaac Samuel Profile picture
Jul 10, 2022 15 tweets 9 min read Read on X
my article;

"An African island at the nexus of global trade: The Comoros island of Nzwani from 750-1889AD"

The history of one of the Indian Ocean world's busiest port cities.
isaacsamuel.substack.com/p/an-african-i… ImageImage
In the 17th century, a small island off the coast of East Africa became a cosmopolitan locus of economic and cultural interchanges in the Indian ocean world that stitched together the continents of Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Americas.
isaacsamuel.substack.com/p/an-african-i…
Nzwani forged economic and political alliances with distant maritime empires through strategies of similitude, enabling it to grow its economy and emerge as one of the most important port cities in the Indian ocean
Nzwani was primarily settled by groups of Comorian speakers from mainland east Africa, settlements of daub & coral construction were established at Sima and Domoni
thru maritime trade, they adopted Islam,
Domoni's rulers conquered Sima and set up a state.
The classical period of Nzwani's history begins in the 15th century with the emergence of centralized institutions, an elaborate social hierarchy and the flourishing of a large agro-pastoral economy supplemented by maritime trade
Like the Swahili, the Comorian rulers of 15th cent. Nzwani claimed superficial lineages to legitimize their authority, affirmed thru intermarriage with the former

in 1503, Vasco da Gama passed by Grande Comore, but over the century, Nzwani was preferred
the Mutsamudu harbour soon became the preferred stop-over for European ships entering the Indian ocean, prompting the rulers of Nzwani to gradually moved their capital.
demand for provisions increased their power which they extended over the entire Island
more than 90% of 400 English ships that sailed into the Indian ocean from 1601 to 1834 stopped at Nzwani
over 55% had sailed directly from England without a stop-over

Nzwani's trade was well organized and its own merchants sailed across the Indian ocean
Nzwani's population exceeded 25,000 by the 18th cent.
Unlike their East African peers, Nzwani merchants frequently sailed the Indian ocean and possessed extensive nautical knowledge
their circular trade took them to India, Yemen, Mozambique and Madagascar
Nzwani's strategy of similitude -especially with English traders that called at its port- enabled them to forge commercial alliances which they used for all the economic, political, and military benefits that they could acquire

isaacsamuel.substack.com/p/an-african-i… Image
By playing on sentiments of reciprocity and camaraderie, Nzwani's rulers leveraged foreign military assistance in local conflicts especially when faced with threats of invasion

they constructed a large fort armed with cannons bought from the English
internal conflicts in the late 18th century and shifting trade patterns of English ships threatened Nzwani's prominence, but the former were resolved and the latter replaced by the French and American ships

Nzwani retained its place in international trade
upto 60 US & French ships called at Mutsamudu each year between the years 1852-1858

when Nzwani was faced with French colonial expansion, it counteracted them using the British, setting up sugar refineries in the 1860s that produced 400 tones annually
Nzwani's last king Abdallah's tenuous power and shifting international politics, prompted his shift to the French, but a local rebellion gave the latter pretext to annex it.
The maneuverability of Nzwani's elites allowed it to preserve a level of autonomy
isaacsamuel.substack.com/p/an-african-i… Image
some old photos from Nzwani (Anjouan)

#archivesxt ImageImageImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with isaac Samuel

isaac Samuel Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @rhaplord

Jun 26
"A muslim kingdom in the Ethiopian highlands: the history of Ifat and Adal ca. 1285-1520."
africanhistoryextra.com/p/a-muslim-kin…
During the late Middle Ages, the northern Horn of Africa was home to some of the continent's most powerful dynasties, whose history significantly shaped the region's social landscape.
while the history of the Solomonids has been sufficiently explored in many works of African history, their biggest political rivals, known as the Walasma dynasty of Ifat, are less known despite their contribution to the region’s cultural heritage.
Read 24 tweets
Mar 31
my article:

"Anti-slavery laws and Abolitionist thought in pre-colonial Africa"

the view from Benin, Kongo, Songhai, and Ethiopia.

africanhistoryextra.com/p/anti-slavery…
In 1516, the King of Benin imposed a ban on the exportation of slaves from his kingdom, an embargo that was enforced for over two centuries during the height of the Atlantic slave trade
A lot has been written about the European abolitionist movement in the 19th century, but there's relatively less literature outlining the gradual process in which anti-slavery laws evolved between the Middle Ages and the early modern period.
Read 12 tweets
Mar 26
The sheer complexity and diversity of Africa should make it the last place for generalists to write about,

but that has never stopped them,
because even the laziest, most essentialist research is rewarded by their audiences
Take the popular theory of 'wealth in people' as a means of accumulation in pre-colonial societies of west-central Africa

which, to oversimplify, means that 'people' (people/followers/labour) had more value over 'things' (Land, tradable goods etc)
Wealth, Land and Property in Angola By Mariana P. Candido pg 48-49.    This is a good summary of all these scholars who have written about the wealth-in-people theory and their general arguments
In many cases, the theory is usually explained and interpreted to mean;

Labor was scarce = had value = focus of state control = wealth was only accumulated by acquiring followers, dependants, and slaves

Land was abundant= no value = no state control = communally owned
Read 9 tweets
Feb 21
icymi

"The colonial myth of 'Sub-Saharan Africa' in medieval Islamic geography: the view from Egypt and Bornu."
africanhistoryextra.com/p/the-colonial…
The historicity of the term sub-Saharan Africa is the most persistent misconception in discourses on Africa's past
Proponents of its use claim that it is derived from a historical reality, reflected in the nature of the interaction between Africa's regions
However, a closer analysis of the intellectual and cultural exchanges between Egypt and Bornu shows that the separation of Africa was never a historical reality, but is instead a more recent colonial construct with a fabricated history.
Read 28 tweets
Feb 11
my article:

"The colonial myth of 'Sub-Saharan Africa' in medieval Islamic geography: the view from Egypt and Bornu."

The historicity of the term sub-Saharan Africa is the most persistent misconception in discourses on Africa's past
Proponents of its use claim that it is derived from a historical reality, reflected in the nature of the interaction between Africa's regions
However, a closer analysis of the intellectual and cultural exchanges between Egypt and Bornu shows that the separation of Africa was never a historical reality, but is instead a more recent colonial construct with a fabricated history.
Read 11 tweets
Jan 23
(abit late to this)

Here's a megathread on African castles, fortresses, fortified cities and other monumental structures
🧵

-castle of Fasiladas, late 1630s, Gondar, Ethiopia

-Iyasu’s Palace, late 17th cent, Gondar, Ethiopia

-Castle of Bakkafa, early 18th cent, Gondar, Ethiopia

-Castle of Dawit, early 18th cent, Gondar, Ethiopia

-Chancery and Library of Yohannes, late 17th century, Gondar, Ethiopia

-Wešeba Gemb (Yohanne's bath), early 17th century, Gondar, Ethiopia

Read 42 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(