Jayesh Mehta Profile picture
Aug 26, 2022 20 tweets 19 min read Read on X
About 10 days back, I read this news..My initial reaction was that of shock and disbelief..I thought how can men, who committed horrible crime against Bilkis Banu, be set free?

In my personal opinion, rapists and murderers must never leave the prison..

1/20 Image
I was wondering how could Gujarat govt release these prisoners? Therefore, I decided to find out the reasons, which led to early release of these 11 prisoners.

While going through this excerpts, I decided to get hold of the SC judgment which triggered this release..

2/20 ImageImageImageImage
I found the Supreme Court judgment, which ordered the Gujarat Govt to consider the application of remission by one of the petitioners who had completed more than 15 years jail..SC order specifically asked Gujarat govt to consider remission on the basis of its 1992 circular.

3/20 ImageImageImageImage
As soon as these 11 prisoners were released, a concerted campaign was launched to rescind this premature release..Usual rogues started attacking Modi ji, using Bilkis Banu's plight..

Politicians-

4/20 ImageImageImageImage
Most vicious and venomous amongst the political lot is #MahuaMoitra ..She did not utter a word, when her party's goons, raped and murdered BJP's women supporters; post West Bengal assembly results in May' 2021..

She has even filed a Writ Petition in SC against release..

5/20 ImageImageImageImage
Then journalists too jumped into the bandwagon led by Ex and current anchors of #NDTV .Nidhi and Sreenivasan maliciously peddled Home Ministry's latest directives, for SPECIAL remission for prisoners.
This policy didnt apply to these 11 convicts as per Supreme Court order.

6/20 ImageImageImageImage
Again that lot of regular, Modi haters were brought into action..

7/20 ImageImageImageImage
Even a serving IAS #SmitaSabharwal , in violation of her service rules, expressed her views publicly..

8/20 ImageImageImageImage
Immediately international agencies inimical to India, jumped in to target India by alleging persecution of minorities in India..

9/20 ImageImageImageImage
Now I will examine early release of 11 convicts by Gujarat Government, both jurisprudentally viz. Precedents, case laws etc. first and, politically second..

*JURISPRUDENTALLY*

Let's begin with SC judgment which paved the way for Gujarat Govt to release these 11 convicts.

10/20 ImageImageImageImage
This is the judgment from Supreme Court of India which directed Gujarat Govt to consider application of the petitioner, under Guj Govt's policy of remission vide its' circular dated 9th July' 1992.
Therefore the argument that Guj Govt ignored latest guidelines doesn't hold

11/20 ImageImageImageImage
5 days after this judgment, Supreme Court of India ordered release of Rajiv Gandhi's assasin Perarivalan..Earlier he was sentenced to death..Later on Supreme Court commuted his death sentence to life imprisonment and finally ordered his release..

12/20 ImageImageImageImage
For his release, Tamil Nadu Govt invoked Article 161 of our Constitution and, passed a resolution in Cabinet, to release all the 7 convicts involved in Rajiv Gandhi's assassination..

Even Supreme Court invoked Article 142 of our Constitution to release Perarivalan..

13/20 ImageImage
One month before release of Perarivalan, Supreme Court commuted death sentence of Mohd. Firoz, a rapist and killer of child, to 20 years of life imprisonment because, judges opined that, Mohd. Firoz had a future even though he had committed most barbaric and ugly crime..

14/20 ImageImageImageImage
After spending 20 years in prison, Mohd. Firoz will walk out free in public..
Mother of 4 year old child, who was brutally raped and murdered by Mohd. Firoz , filed a review petition in SC but it was dismissed..No pressure was exerted on Judiciary to restore death sentence

15/20 ImageImageImageImage
Contrary to popular belief that Life Imprisonment means, Imprisonment for the remainder of natural life of convict, Supreme Court of India has concluded that, Life Imprisonment implies, incarceration of 14 to 20 years, in a landmark judgment passed in November 2012.

16/20 ImageImageImageImage
In this judgment, Supreme Court laid down procedural as well as substantive checks to prevent arbitrary remissions..
Judiciary can't injunct, executive from exercising its' power of remission.

This judgment was authored by liberal's darling judge, J. Madan Lokur.

17/20 ImageImageImageImage
Let's look at, precedents, wherein a convict undergoing Life Imprisonment has been released under remission policy.
Many of you would remember high profile #Tandoor murder case..Naina Sahani was killed by her husband Sushil Sharma.
Sushil Sharma was released vide remission

18/20 ImageImageImageImage
Another high profile case which nobody has forgotten..That of #JessicaLal murder case..Her murderer, #ManuSharma was freed by Kejriwal govt under remission policy, though he was sentenced with Life Imprisonment..

19/20 ImageImageImageImage
I hereby end my FIRST part of critical analysis of 11 Convicts released by Gujarat Govt..

In next thread, I will critically analyse and expose politics behind the current high decibel campaign against the release of 11 convicts in #BilkisBanu case..

20/20

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jayesh Mehta

Jayesh Mehta Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JMehta65

May 11
🧵PART - I
As soon as Arvind Kejriwal was arrested by the #ED, Germany, USA and UN Secretary General mounted pressure for his release.

The bench of J. Sanjiv Khanna and J. Dipankar Datta could not withstand this pressure and succumbed to this foreign pressure.

1/9
Over the past 2 years, this same Supreme Court had held that, Right to Contest and Right to Vote were not Fundamental Rights.
This bench has now laid down a new judicial principle of Right to Campaign, to grant an interim bail to Delhi's CM Arvind Kejriwal.

#BailToKejriwal

2/9Image
J. Khanna and J. Datta had already decided to grant interim bail to Kejriwal on 3rd May itself..
Still to display their impartiality, they continued with their farce for few more days..Finally, yesterday they decided to conclude their farce and grant+

#BailToKejriwal

3/9Image
Read 9 tweets
May 5
It has been almost a month from the day, @INCIndia put out its manifesto for #2024LokSabha elections..
I have worked out financial implications of FOUR guarantees, promised by the Congress party.
If Congress comes to power and implements these, 4 promises then, it will+

1/15
+ ruin our country's economy and, lead to bankruptcy like 1991.
Our country will become NEXT Venezuela..

Let's see financial implications of these 4 promises.
(1) Every graduate and diploma holder will be given a right of one year of apprenticeship:
The govt will pay them+

2/15 Image
+₹1.0 lakh for 1 year..
There are about 1.5 crore students passing out graduation+diploma courses every year.
Let's assume, 1 crore graduates/diploma holder take up apprenticeship.
Annual outgo for the Congress govt would be:
1,00,00,000 x ₹1,00,000
=₹1 Lakh crores. __I

3/15
Read 15 tweets
Mar 22
Three days back, Sajid entered into his neighbour's house and demanded ₹5,000 as loan from mother of 3 boys.
While the woman was bringing money, Sajid went upstairs and beheaded two sons' of this woman, Aayush 11 years and Ahaan 6 years..He also tried to behead, third son+

1/9

+Piyush 7 years, too but that boy some how escaped from his clutches and survived..Later on Police arrived at the scene of crime..By that time Sajid had escaped..Police chased him down and trapped him..
Instead of surrendering, Sajid fired on the Police force and, in+

2/9
+ the retaliatory fire, Sajid was shot dead..
Here are the statements of Piyush (survivor), mother of three children and Police official whose team was chasing Sajid to apprehend him..

3/9

Read 9 tweets
Dec 17, 2023
Yesterday this overzealous bigot and lapdog of Sonia Gandhi, made certain observations on I.T. authorities survey on #BBC ..
He does not even know the difference between an Income tax RAID and Survey..
Further, he is propagating his own version of law..

1/14

No Court of law could have declared, an income tax survey on #BBC in recent times, as illegal and unconstitutional.
BBC has reportedly admitted to tax evasion.

Why doesnt retired judge, Nariman wait for #BBC to file its' revised income tax returns?

2/14 Image
In January this year he wanted the SC to impose a time line of 30 days on Union Govt to accept the Collegium's recommendations..
Now he is admitting that the present Collegium system was the WORST..
He wants to change the composition of the Collegium..

3/14
Read 14 tweets
Jul 10, 2023
As I had promised on Saturday morning, I am posting 1st of my Trilogy of threads on Supreme Court's cowardice in matters of justice for Muslim women..This thread is on #BenazeerHeena, whose life has been ruined by the Supreme Court..She had filed a petition in the+

1/15
+Supreme Court challenging Talak-E-Hasan, a mode of divorce in Islam.
Her lawyer, wrote a letter to then #CJI J. NV Ramana for granting an urgent listing of her plea, specifying reasons for her request for urgent listing..However, the #CJI refused URGENT hearing inspite of+

2/15

+looming danger of divorce on her.
Then she approached J. Chandrachud's bench..He asked her, why she had filed the petition under Article 32?
A PIL can be filed in SC under #Article32 and a PIL can be filed in a High Court under #Article226 , of our Constitution..

3/15

Read 15 tweets
Jun 29, 2023
A thread 🧵 on recent sequence of events leading upto PM @narendramodi 's State Visit to USA, upon invitation of President #JoeBiden..PM Modi was also invited to address the joint session of US Congress..FIRST Indian PM to address the Joint session of US Congress two times.

1/28

In India, this invite caused a lot of heart burn to the Gandhi family because, neither Pt. Nehru nor Indira Gandhi nor Rajiv Gandhi and not even Dr. Manmohan Singh, were granted such an honour.
Internationally, China, Pakistan and India haters were not happy with this+

2/28
+ invite..On the other hand, biggest India hater, a hydra in the form of #GeorgeSoros a self confessed Modi hater and; who has deployed a huge sum of funding to destabilize Modi govt.

He set in motion a #toolkit to get this state visit of PM Modi tainted and overshadowed.

3/28
Read 28 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(