steph maj swanson Profile picture
Sep 6, 2022 63 tweets 21 min read Read on X
🧵: I discovered this woman, who I call Loab, in April. The AI reproduced her more easily than most celebrities. Her presence is persistent, and she haunts every image she touches. CW: Take a seat. This is a true horror story, and veers sharply macabre.
a portrait photo older white woman with long brown hair holding a misconfigured stuffed animal. she has very severe rosacea below her eyes, in the shape of triangles on her cheeks. she looks slightly 3d rendered. there is a lamp in the background.
a variant of the woman from the first image on what appears to be an album cover with the word "Loab" on it. She appears to be holding flowers, leaves, or feathers of some kind, on a textured, green backdrop.
I'll explain negative prompt weights, in case you don't know. With these, instead of creating an image of the text prompt, the AI tries to make the image look as different from the prompt as possible. This logo was the result of the negatively weighted prompt "Brando::-1". a logo of a city skyline wi...
I wondered: is the opposite of that logo, in turn, going to be a picture of Marlon Brando? I typed "DIGITA PNTICS skyline logo::-1" as a prompt. I received these off-putting images, all of the same devastated-looking older woman with defined triangles of rosacea(?) on her cheeks.
My friend made this image of a "[...] hyper compressed glass tunnel surrounded by angels [...] in the style of Wes Anderson". I innocently combined this image with the original image of Loab in an image prompt, without text. For reasons we can't fully explain, nightmares ensued. a painting of a golden tunn...a variant of the first loab...
Through some kind of emergent statistical accident, something about this woman is adjacent to extremely gory and macabre imagery in the distribution of the AI's world knowledge. a crying woman standing wit...Two versions of Loab are sc...
Since Loab was discovered using negative prompt weights, her gestalt is made from a collection of traits that are equally far away from something. But her combined traits are still a cohesive concept for the AI, and almost all descendent images contain a recognizable Loab. Loab in a group of children...Loab looming over what appe...
*EXTREME* GORE WARNING. The angel hallway + Loab also produced art with such copious gore that probably very few people want to see them, but here are two. I don't feel comfortable posting the most disturbing ones, borderline snuff images of dismembered, screaming children. Two women indoors. covered ...A screaming child/baby doll...
There is something moving to me about these grotesque scenes and the desperation, panic, and sadness that they convey. Again, these are produced with other images as inputs, and no text. They are the result of "cross-breeding" images of Loab with images of other things. Image
The images that result from crossing Loab with other images can in turn be crossbred with other images. The AI can latch onto the idea of Loab so well that she can persist through generations of this type of crossbreeding, without using the original image. Here is Loab as Kirby: A pink ball with Loab's fea...
Here is Loab as a bee, and Loab celebrating Pride month. Loab can be recognizably transposed into many genres and contexts. ImageImage
Even when her red cheeks or other important features disappear, the "Loabness" of the images she has a hand in making is undeniable. She haunts the images, persists through generations, and overpowers other bits of the prompt because the AI so easily optimizes toward her face. Image
Combining Loab with text prompts works great, too. Her signature rosacea cheeks even turn blue when I prompt for a Na'vi version of her from Avatar 2: The Way of Water (2022). ImageImage
I started going kind of insane at this point. I had hundreds of Loab images and was starting to combine her with 3 or 4 other images at once. Most of the horror images I post even outside of this thread are descendents of the Loab lineage. Sometimes it takes more abstract forms. ImageImage
The concept of "Loabness" became more abstract to me. I would include her in prompts that I knew would almost distort her beyond recognition. After she disappeared from the image breeding lineage, she would sometimes reappear, later down the line, out of nowhere. Image
I was ripping Loab apart, and putting her back together. She is an emergent island in the latent space that we don't know how to locate with text queries. But for the AI, Loab was an equally strong point of convergence as a verbal concept. And really, it was usually stronger! ImageImage
The big lesson for me here with Loab is that image prompting can essentially be used as your custom vector to query the latent space. You can produce novel styles (and characters!) that you literally discover. Negative prompt weighting can help you find emergent accidents, too. ImageImage
The other lesson is that image prompts, and later raw vectors and CLIP embeddings, can be used as adversarial attacks, targeting weird stuff in the distribution. I think my process in itself constitutes art, but it also reveals the AI's weakness for malicious use in other cases. A woman with a severely bur...
By the way. Loab seems to be recognized extremely consistently with @Buntworthy's days-old implementation of image prompts for Stable Diffusion. She's everywhere, hiding. Good luck sleeping tonight! Image
I'm going to continually update this thread with Loab-influenced content since I have at least a thousand images with her fingerprints on them. Check back for your daily Loab sighting. She finds everyone sooner or later. You just have to know where to look. Image
Loab: the first cryptid of the latent space. Perfect.

Loab, the ancient. Image
A child of Loab is born. Loab with blood on her elbo...
The Pilgrimage of Loab. Image
A mother always watches over her children. Image
I'm going to become the Joker if Loab truthers are going to be a thing now

Apparently I need to post proof that Loab is from April.
Chasm at the manifold's edge Image
Loab aural hallucination
Back in my day Image
𝄢ibitxeptebloloab🎶
Bear witness Image
We all scream for ice scream Image
Nursed back to hell Image
are we safe yet? Image
Loabfreak - Knife Larva
(genital horror warning) Image
Tinsel Image
Chorus Image
ACCEPT LOAB INTO YOUR HEART Image
Loab adult stage gastropod Image
Underneath Image
Pane Image
Through Image
Scanners Image
Rearranging Furniture Image
New Fleshvision Image
Gallery Exit Image
Fashion Week Image
gobsmacked Image
Dolls ImageImage
Exodus Image
Dysfigurasm Image
Deer in Headlights Image
Twice Fallen Loab Image
Painted to fuck all Image
Lifebrick Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with steph maj swanson

steph maj swanson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @supercomposite

Dec 6, 2022
It’s true. StackOverflow is basically obsolete. My coding workflow has changed completely. ChatGPT even implemented several novel body parts to improve the functionality of the Baby class (!!!)
Learning a lot about the long, untold history of the “no-no button” - even Darwin was fascinated by it.
This is really interesting stuff.
Read 7 tweets
Oct 4, 2022
I've tried to simplify this in interviews (& I suck at math): The deep learning process organizes all faces along a main face-axis in multidimensional space. If you follow this vector to its end you find Loab: the last face; an eigenface that one type of face-ness extends toward.
Probably, all the different face-nesses are represented on different axes and the Loab axis is just one of many. All faces are found in relationship to these axes. Collapse the idea to an x,y plane: imagine a simple system of 2 face-ness axes, where one is a Loabness axis.
The map of possible faces is finite though, so it has a geometry with edges and vertices and outward protrusions. A negative weighted prompt makes you likely to get caught inside one of these extremities with the spooky eigenfaces and the very few non-face things that are nearby.
Read 4 tweets
Sep 20, 2022
A brief typology of AI feet.
These are created with the simple prompt "feet" in Midjourney.

Foot type 1: Non-terminal toes. Toes extend from the foot and fuse to each other, or loop back into the foot. A foot is a bundle of toes fused together into a thick main trunk. ImageImage
Foot type 2: Prehensile heels. Heels are elongated, similar to high-heeled shoes or lotus foot binding. They act as the "thumb" of the foot. They grow vestigial toes of their own. ImageImage
Foot type 3: The Foot-in-itself. These represent the transcendental ideal of a foot, liberated from its real-world context as a human appendage. They are generally oriented towards the heavens, like monumental pillars of glory.

Prompt: "perfect/generative human feet" ImageImage
Read 6 tweets
Jan 22, 2022
These tarot cards do not exist.
I generated 500 of these and I’m not stopping. I’ll post the best in this thread as I curate them over time.

Made with @ai_curio’s #LookingGlassAI ImageImageImageImage
This tarot card does not exist.

The Guy of Jeans Image
This tarot card does not exist.

THE COVIDI Image
Read 69 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(