Josiah Hawthorne Profile picture
Sep 10, 2022 23 tweets 12 min read Read on X
Okay, time for a #RingsOfPower Episode 3 livetweet... livewatch... watchtweet... whatever this is.

I'm probably not going to successfully avoid all spoilers, so mute the phrase #RingsofPowerSpoilers if you don't want to be spoilt.

1/?
#RingsofPowerSpoilers

I do like the cool sand-being-formed-into-shapes-on-a-drumhead opening. Wasn't there another opening filmed with molten metal pouring down ring molds, though? Is that being saved for later?

2/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

What's with the tattered awning thing? Does this franchise actually remember that orcs can't handle sunlight very well -- unlike a certain Peter Jackson I could mention?

3/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

I am 4 minutes into this episode and already I have been interrupted twice, by two of my kids, who were supposed to be in bed an hour ago.

Also: whoa, did the orcs grab the rest of Arondir's garrison, too?! Efficient work, orcs.

4/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

So, the presumably-Numenorian sailor uniform looks cool but I can't help but think long jerkins and gambesons will be constricting if they have to go aloft. Don't you boys have to reef the topsails sometimes? Keep your legs free!

5/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Hang on, I'm going to rewind and watch this scenery shot a few times.

6/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

This Numenorian dinghy/gondola thing is being rowed very inefficiently. How much power can you generate standing like that, and facing forward?

It just looks awkward.

7/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

I am *digging* this architecture.

Top two pictures are from the show: bottom two are what I'm guessing are the real-world inspirations. Greco-Roman islander, but with some kind of twist.

8/?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

The unexpected hug. Classic Rogue move. Okay, I think I've got this guy just about statted out in my head. High DEX, high CHA, decent but not above average WIS, mysterious backstory...
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Easy there. This is a family show.
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

So, will we ever see any Numenorian ship doing anything but running before the wind?

I guess it's a bit convenient that wherever they want to go is always downwind.
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Regarding the tree: Elvish and orcish characterization is on point.

The translation of what he's saying is something like "Howl, wild beast."
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Anin -- from "anha," "give"
apsene -- from apsen, "release" "forgive"
"Forgive me."

Both words can be seen in "...ar ámen apsenë úcaremmar sív’ emmë apsenet tien i úcarir emmen." ("Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.")
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Hang on hang on! Is the Hall of Lore... Candlekeep Library?!
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Just saying.

Man, I'd hate to see a copyright battle between Wizard of the Coast's lawyers and the Tolkien Estate's lawyers.
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Nori threatens to tell Malva that it was Poppy who put "fireweed in her toe cream."

It's got to be a different plant, then, because all that would do is make her toe cream good at drawing out pus?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Oh man, I so want to obsess over these shots and try to match them up with real-world constellations.

Is that a Dipper I see up top?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers

Hang on, did he say... bees?!
Wait, that's it?! THAT'S IT?!

How long until Episode 4?
#RingsOfPowerSpoilers #RingsOfPower

"Release the Warg!"

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Josiah Hawthorne

Josiah Hawthorne Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JosiahHawthorne

Jul 3
They tell us that Christian Nationalism is not about white supremacy, that what Wolfe and Wilson and Rigney and Sauve are promoting is just wanting to follow God's laws and live in a "Christian Nation."

But shall we peek under the "hood" and see for ourselves? A 🧵

1/12 Image
"But we the unhyphenated, who trace our ancestry to Western Europe... We, the White Anglo-Saxon Protestants who founded, built, died for and led this country for most of its history, we are not permitted in this New America to have a... place that is distinctly ours."

(😬)

2/12 Image
"There's no distant place that we call home. We have nowhere else to go. But THIS is our home. THIS is our native land. *WE* are Native Americans, born of those who didn't immigrate, but who SETTLED here."

3/12 Image
Read 17 tweets
Apr 25
Various Christian views of Hell as GIFs.

1) Eternal Conscious Torment (Dante style). Hell is God's *retribution* for your sins. The fire is literal. Level of punishment is scaled to fit your sins, but the worst part is the separation from God forever. Held by: Augustine.
2) Eternal Conscious Torment (Evangelical style). As above, but more emphasis on spiritual/psychological torment of God's Absence, less sense of physical punishment. The fire is a metaphor. Held by: Alphonsus Liguori
3) Eternal Conscious Torment ("The Great Divorce" style). Hell is self-exclusion from God's presence, in which we make ourselves eternally miserable without God. The doors to Hell are "locked from the inside." Held by: C.S. Lewis, some Catholics
Read 9 tweets
Jan 24
Theories of Atonement as GIFs from The Office -- a thread.

1: Ransom Theory (Origen) -- Jesus's death was a ransom given to the devil in exchange for humanity's freedom
2. Moral Example Theory (Socinius) -- Both Jesus's life of self-sacrifice, and his martyrdom, were examples for his followers to emulate.
3. Moral Transformation Theory (Abelard) -- Jesus's death is the demonstration of God's love for us, a demonstration so powerful it can change our hearts and turn us back towards God.
Read 9 tweets
Nov 1, 2023
Why the SBC may never reform: a 🧵

1 - The SBC had a "Resurgence" where one theological faction seized power from by cultivating an "US vs. THEM" mentality. The "Resurgence" was led by two men. One was an abuser, and the other was later fired for covering up abuse.
2 - The SBC's now-dominant faction grew up seeing those two men as heroes who won a victory against "THEM."

And perhaps because their faction engaged in dirty tactics, they believe "THEY" would do the same if given the chance. (As though any of THEM are even left?)
3 - Thus a big portion of that faction still believes those two men did nothing wrong. They think credible charges against them must be baseless allegations as part of a power grab by "THEM."

And so this became their default setting when hearing of credible charges of abuse.
Read 8 tweets
Aug 19, 2023
Re: people faking credentials to claim authority in evangelical circles:

The "Satanic Panic" of the 80s was driven by the testimonies of alleged former witches, who were later proven be frauds (Mike Warnke, Rebecca Brown, Michelle Smith).

Laurel Rose Wilson was one.

1/5 Image
Under the name Lauren Stratford, she wrote an book describing her past as a baby breeder (for human sacrifices) in a satanic cult.

She spoke on Oprah. Her books were carried in church libraries.

But a 1990 investigation by Cornerstone Magazine revealed it to be fabrication.

2/
Less than ten years later she tried again.

In 1999, she called herself Laura Grabowski, pretended to be Jewish, and claimed to be a Holocaust survivor. She gave lectures, speeches, and collected thousands of dollars in donations intended for Holocaust survivors.

3/5 Image
Read 9 tweets
May 8, 2023
Types of church websites: 1

WHOOSH fancy transitions! Look at our mostly-white slate of male pastors and female "directors"! Learn about Our Vision™! Shiplap! Who knows what denomination we're affiliated with -- it's a mystery! We're not your grandma's church! WELCOME HOME!
Types of church websites: 2

Join us EVERY Sunday at 10 am for our IN-PERSON Worship Service. (Posted around April 2021)
(The rest of the website is just a bunch of old YouTube sermon recordings and obsolete Zoom links from March 2020 through March 2021)
Types of church websites: 3

We want our church to be a haven for your spirituality! Come check out our slate of community service events! Our book club is reading "White Fragility"! We have a daycare AND a thrift shop! What's a Bible study?
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(