Nacho Oliveras Profile picture
Oct 4, 2022 24 tweets 9 min read Read on X
Antalya again.

4th week in a row I am coming.

1/n Image
I come as much that Apple's AI thinks this hotel is my 'home'...

2/n Image
3/n Image
This is Ibrahim’s office (the manager of my hotel).

Upon seeing the number of suitcases, I congratulated him: ‘so many customers!’. Then he corrected me: ‘no, these belong to a Russian family staying here as refugees until they get a visa for the Netherlands’.

This is new.

4/n Image
What seems unprecedented is that citizens of an invading country (not the invaded one) become refugees, but I feel sympathy for both of them.

5/n
Let us check the news: @vtchakarova calls this ‘Cold War 2.0’, another option would be ‘The New Great Game’. If I were the lion, I would be very careful not to bully Turkey into taking my side too badly unless it were extremely necessary.

As it could very easily backfire…

6/n ImageImage
Considering that Turkey isn't quite welcome in the EU (and it would be odd the EU largest, most populated country was Turkey), that shall grant the Turks more latitude to defend their national interest independently...

#Symmetry

And the bullying...

7/n
can ricochet in the form of "anti-American Imperialism" easily as I said.

8/n
Samuel Huntington described Turkey as a "torn country".

Trying to suppress religion probably creates some issues to on the psyche, or rather, makes it come back in a different forms, same as Freud maintained for sex (and quoting John Gray here)...

9/n
I did not have Tava in Kilis (where it is famous), but I will have it today out of FOMO…

10/n Image
11/n
12/n ImageImage
7pm

13/n Image
Kâzım Özalp caddesi

14/n Image
I preferred Corfu’s “freddo”…

15/n Image
Try to overcome religion and it will come back as a boomerang (and hopefully just as religion).

16/n Image
Possibly my last one this year…

17/n Image
This hammam claims 700 years of history, and it is mixed; men/women.

I found that surprising, and asked them if that was always the case, even 500 years ago, and they said me yes (even more surprising, if true).

It felt like going to a car was, being the car.

Light meal.

18/n ImageImageImageImage
I misread ‘Lindy’ on the candy you get with the tea, which would have been very appropriate.

Some hammam require an appointment, but this one did not.

19/n Image
Lydia leather store.

Lydia kilim store.

Judging by the anecdotal evidence, one would say these people feel closer to the kingdom of Lydia than to the Lycian confederation, even if the Lydians (later integrated as a province in the Roman Empire) are further away in time…

20/n ImageImageImage
According to Strabo, Lydian was almost no longer spoken in our era, and not a lot is known about the language, that was though of Indo-European origin and used an alphabet closer to the Greek one.

21/n Image
Cacık (tzatziki obviously!)

22/m Image
Summer didn’t end here (yet).

23/n Image
24/n Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Nacho Oliveras

Nacho Oliveras Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NachoOliveras

Feb 20, 2023
Russia in the Shadows by H.G. Wells. In 1920 Wells visited Petersburg and Moscow with his son. The harsh reality was apparent to him, as “it is hardly possible to dress up two large cities for the benefit of two stray visitors, wandering observantly in different directions”.

1/n
As Wells had been in Petersburg before the war in 1914 he had a comparison baseline: “Never in all history has there been so great a débâcle before”.

2/n
The disaster was most apparent in Petersburg, where the shrinking population was starving and “all the shops had ceased” except for a few flower shops, which would greatly surprise Wells.

3/n
Read 9 tweets
Feb 13, 2023
Josep Pla's 'Trip to Russia in 1925'.

Pla, a conservative, states his intention of making his account as descriptive as possible because he said he knew basically nothing about Russia (besides having read some of their classics) and he didn't want his account be propaganda.

1/n Image
In any sense (positive or negative) as it was apparently the case a century ago, even today. He paid 10 USD for a Riga to Moscow ticket, and 1 USD for a 3 course decent meal on the same train, that he considered a decent service at a decent price (1 USD 1925 ~ 16 USD today).

2/n Image
A bottle of wine would cost ~0.6 USD. Food and drinks were cheaper than in Germany or Spain, trains were of a good standard, but roads subpar.

There were some (not many) beggars, some people in rags, but 85% were decently clothed. But no one would sport rich man’s clothing.

3/n Image
Read 16 tweets
Jan 13, 2023
Same as it happens for people, it is a typical thing for countries with what I once called “low self-esteem” to be bothered by the perception other countries have on them, and wanting it changed.

1/n
Some examples come to mind.

For instance, the beautiful documentary series that Louis Malle filmed in India, which he considered his best work, was hated in India, to the point India withdrew to the BBC for years permission to film new documentaries.

2/n
And, possibly, yet another example quoted here…

3/n
Read 4 tweets
Jan 8, 2023
1 week driving in Morocco

1/n
Crossed the Anti-Atlas (the last section of the Atlas range, spanning a little less of 500 km from Central Morocco to the Atlantic Ocean) and reached Agadir, a ~3h drive from Marrakech. Had a liver ‘Mqila’ (~casserole if I am not wrong) at this place, that inspired my trust.

2/n twitter.com/i/web/status/1… Image
Souk El Had.

Pretty easy to get lost in it.

3/n ImageImageImageImage
Read 92 tweets
Dec 16, 2022
3 days in Valencia.

1/n Image
Estació del Nord main entrance, next to the bullfighting arena.

The main hall is an Art Nouveau supernova.

2/n ImageImage
Improvising Nacho Industries HA in Valencia until I will be able to use the apartment I rented.

3/n ImageImage
Read 39 tweets
Nov 4, 2022
The last talk of the day at @kilkenomics with @nntaleb, still in the Watergate Theatre, bears a promising name: “The Economics of Russia’s War”.

I don’t know who the other speakers will be. We shall see soon. I will put ‘NNT’ when quoting @nntaleb

1/n Image
Introduction by moderator (A), speaker B is a professor in Boston College, then next speaker is @JavierBlas that I will quote as JB. He explains he writes for Bloomberg on energy and he needs explain his parents he can’t get the Saudi to cheapen oil prices, then comes NNT…

2/n Image
NNT thanks the moderator A because normally he does not get invited back to places!

A asks about NNT meeting Zelenski. NNT explains he attended the Ukrainian parliament last year to give a talk, he gave this, topic was opposing centralized empires…

3/n
Read 28 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(