Jay Annelli 🔜 SCG Con Baltimore Profile picture
Oct 4, 2022 14 tweets 7 min read Read on X
So what’s a dragon engine? #MTGBRO

Dragon Engines were the term for both the highly sophisticated artificial lifeforms that were ‘native’ to Phyrexia, and the copies made by Mishra’s army. All of these are examples of dragon engines. ImageImageImageImage
Back in The Thran, we learn the original planeswalker creator of Phyrexia loved taking the form of a metallic dragon, and populated the first sphere with ‘serpents’ in his image.

These were, of course, corrupted by Yawgmoth when he claimed the artificial plane for himself. Image
We don’t know anything else about the original creator of Phyrexia, just that his technology allowed Yawgmoth to fully realize his vision. He was not Chromium.
After Urza and Mishra first split up, Mishra was a slave to the Fallaji. The weakstone activated a long-buried dragon engine that was basically why he was eventually able to take over their growing empire. ImageImage
After being attacked by Urza’s ornithopters in a surprise attack by Yotia’s Warlord, Mishra realizes he needs more, and heads to Phyrexia through a portal to get them, which is what brings him to Gix’s attention. Image
These dragons engines were very much mechanical life forms. They typically have the “dragon” subtype, but the same size is small and that may change in the BRO set. ImageImage
Eventually Mishra realizes he needs more, but can’t risk going back to Phyrexia. So he builds facsimiles. These are the steam-punkier ones you may remember best, typically made of copper materials. They’re also constructs. ImageImage
Traxos’ is an oxidized copper construct version, either from the sacking of Kroog or fighting in that area later in the war. Image
I don’t recall the timeline if Mishra had the construct versions yet during the sacking of Kroog, and I can’t look it up right now, but it doesn’t matter much.
At the end of the war in Argoth, Mishra has his original dragon engine with him (or so Urza thinks, since it’s his POV). He fuses with it and it’s the last straw for Urza before detonating the Sylex. ImageImageImageImage
Ramos is another of the dragon engines, supposedly reprogrammed by Urza at the end of the war to transport survivors to Mercadia. As he’s not a Phyrexian, he’s probably a good example of the ‘pure’, non-Phyrexian version.

I have no idea how the Henge Guardians relate to all this ImageImage
My assumption is that they were built by Ramos. So much of Ramos’ lore is surrounded by Mercadia superstition though. Image
Here’s the passage from Mercadian Masques about Ramos. Amusingly, this lore was introduced like a year later but didn’t actually happen in the Brothers’ War novel 🤷🏻‍♂️ ImageImage
Sorry for typos, been typing this in my phone while daughter was napping 😅

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jay Annelli 🔜 SCG Con Baltimore

Jay Annelli 🔜 SCG Con Baltimore Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jay13x

Jul 5
I'm updating my Legendary Characters info with disabilities. I'll post my current list, and then you let me know who I may have missed.

I'm deliberately keeping my definition of disability broad here, but use some discretion. Visual or textual evidence helps!
Also, I'm not interested in Phyrexians for obvious reasons. And use discretion with undead characters.

I am also not an expert on disabilities (although I have done a lot of work with disabilities in disaster scenarios, that's a very narrow subset).
Tezzeret, Sen Triplets, Silas Renn, and Breya are all Esperites from Alara who have modified their bodies in a transhumanist fashion. These were not prothesis for missing limbs, so I'm wary of calling it disability rep (I'm aware of the intersection), but still worth including.

Read 27 tweets
Jun 10
A bit early, but for (American) Father's Day, here's a thread of MTG Dads!

I'm also including the "Urza Scale" as a rating for each Dad, where a 10 is "neglect your child their whole life and then kill them as collateral damage" and 1 is... unlikely to do that. Image
Urza

Urza was the father of Harbin (socially at least), but mistrust of parentage led to a lifelong coldness toward his son. Harbin is killed by Urza's Sylex Blast.

Urza Scale: 10
Harbin

Harbin was the father of Jarsyl. He dies when Jarsyl is pretty young so we don't really get to see him in action as a dad.

Urza Scale: N/A
Read 53 tweets
Jun 4
Happy Pride! Here is a thread of Magic Legends who would be celebrating.

First up is Halana and Alena, a couple who debuted way back in Shadows Over Innistrad.

Note: I’m going with both characters who have explicit confirmation and for whom there is heavy implication. I’ll note who is only heavily implied versus confirmed.

This is not an exhaustive list, and your headcanon for your fav is not countered by this thread.
This first section are lesbians, or at least women who have exclusively shown interest in other women so far (which includes Hal and Alena above).

Oviya Pashiri is a widower who was married to another woman for a long time. Image
Read 33 tweets
Feb 6
A Thread of Threads

I've been asked if I had a list of all my long-running threads somewhere. I do now! This is that thread.

First up, the OG Thread of Legendary Creature facts. It has becomes mostly tracking new printings of characters.

The Non-Creature Commander Thread, tracking all the non-creatures that are legal Commanders.

The Canon Cards thread, tracking the history of non-canonical cards printed in MTG.

Read 7 tweets
Dec 24, 2023
*Cracks Knuckles* IT IS TIME

A guide to which Planeswalkers believe in Santa:
Ajani Goldmane

No, but he dresses up as Santa and does good deeds every Christmas
Aminatou

No, but she sees a future where he could come to pass
Read 54 tweets
Dec 22, 2023
Here's a #vorthos thread of Magic Legends you may not realize are still alive (or at least, aren't confirmed dead):

1) Axelrod Gunnarson. Axelrod falls into "no additional lore" camp, so there's nothing placing Axelrod on the timeline or even on a plane. Image
2) Rubinia Soulsinger. She has a short blurb, but nothing tying her to a plane or time, and as a faerie her lifespan isn't the same as a mortal's anyway. Image
3) Gabriel Angelfire. The subject of the original church of Benalia on Dominaria, back when Serranism was outlawed. Gabriel has never appeared in a story, but also hasn't been confirmed to be killed. Image
Read 52 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(