Jim Bianco Profile picture
Oct 20, 2022 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1/7

The old trader adage is to "never short a dull market," As this chart shows, this now applies to bitcoin.

Realized volatility (that is, backward or actual volatility) is at a 2+ year low and one of the lowest readings ever. Image
2/7

Bitcoins' price is trending sideways (black rectangle) leading to falling volatility. Image
3/7

Never short a dull market might really apply for ETH.

Post-merge, and post-merge hype, its realized volatility has collapsed to its lowest reading in at least 5+ years. Image
4/7

ETH's price has literally fallen asleep (black rectangle) in the last month or so.

No movement = record low volatility. Image
5/7

But what is NOT a dull market and should not be lumped into the same category as the two charts above is the S&P 500.

Its realized volatility is a very high reading relative to the last 10 years. Image
6/7

Markets bottom on apathy, not excitement. BTC and ETH have apathy.

The S&P 500 is nearly the opposite, as prices move around like a video game.

This might also be another sign of the TradFi/Crypto tight relationship breaking

If so, this is long-run bullish for crypto. Image
7/7

"Institutional adoption" of crypto in the last few years has not been good. Crypto has become a high-beta version of the S&P 500.

The real bull story in crypto is it represents something more/different than high beta stocks.

Diverging volatility might signal this change.
Contrarians note ...

Many of the replies to this thread are getting a fair amount of pushback... I'm pumping my bags, the next move is to $8k, and so on.

If you are bullish, this is better than everyone agreeing a moon is coming.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jim Bianco

Jim Bianco Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @biancoresearch

Oct 16
1/4

Volatility measures are elevated, suggesting markets are "bracing" for the post-election markets.

🧵

Start with the bond market (stocks in thread #3).

The MOVE Index (the "VIX of the Bond Market") closed at its highest level since December 7, 2023. Image
2/4

Why?

The MOVE is the implied volatility of 30-day options (from 2-yr to 30-yr). Oct 6 was within 30 days of the election; it spiked right after.

The MOVE is saying "buckle up" for election week.

Hedging post-election volatility (selling calls/buying puts) is now costly.
3/4

What about the VIX? It is the implied volatility on 30-day S&P 500 options.

This measure is also elevated. Once less than 30 days until the election came, it moved higher. Image
Read 4 tweets
Oct 9
1/9

I'm also looking forward to this debate with Bloomberg's @JSeyff and Blockwork's @fejau_inc at Permissionless III in Salt Lake.

🧵updating some of my charts.

I will explain onstage.
2/9

Breakdown of Assets

Total asset growth stalled in March. iShares IBIT (blue) is taking a bigger and bigger share from Grayscale GBTC (orange). Everything else (red) is about a third.Image
3/9

Daily/Cumulative Flows

$18B in cumulative flows (black). Where did most of it come from?

Hedge fund basis trades (not directional bets) and transfers from on-chain to tradfi accts.

$COIN retail flows are down as they compete with ETFs for retail flows. Stock down too.Image
Read 9 tweets
Sep 30
1/3

China's Govt keeps firing one stimulus Bazooka after another.

Today's installment ...
SCMP: Shanghai, other top tier-1 cities ease ownership curbs in boost for China’s housing market

Results in ...
*CHINA PROPERTY STOCKS GAUGE JUMPS 11% AFTER EASING MEASURES

And causing ....
*CHINA'S CSI 300 UP 22% FROM SEPT. LOW, HEADED FOR BULL MARKET

(biggest such rally since 2008)Image
2/3

The Chinese finally stimulating domestic demand gives hope that they will start to consume more.

This idea is significantly contributing to this unfolding rally in industrial metals.

Example
*IRON ORE SURGES ALMOST 8% AS CHINESE CITIES EASE HOME CURBSImage
3/3

Why should we care?

If the Chinese keep firing these stimulus bazookas, the commodity rally should broaden to energy. The Chinese consume more energy than the U.S. or the EU.

If so, consider this chart.Image
Read 4 tweets
Sep 20
1/9

All Models Are Wrong, Some Are Useful

Let the Index of Leading Economic Indicators' failure to predict the post-COVID economy be a reminder that this is no longer the pre-COVID economy.

Assuming it is as too many do, including Powell, is how mistakes are made.
🧵
2/9

The August Index of Leading Economic Indicators (LEI) was released yesterday. It is a model of ten indicators that predict the economy.

conference-board.org/topics/us-lead…
3/9

The ten indicators are combined into an index.

As this chart shows, it is at its lowest level since 2016. Image
Read 9 tweets
Sep 14
1/3

Below, I described how the Fed meeting now has maximum uncertainty just a few days before they met. This is unprecedented.

🧵 on how the process works. (Very inside baseball).
2/3

Remember, Powell wants a 12-0 vote for every policy decision. He is now working the phones by calling every FOMC member to "horse trade" into a 12-0 vote.

He believes that a 12-0 vote gives policy credibility. Dissents, in Powell's opinion, create doubt and uncertainty.

Powell explained this to Davis Rubenstein in July.
---
From the raw transcript, I edited it for readability

7:58 Powell: The way it works is I talk to the other 18 participants regularly. I speak to them at least once ten days before the meeting and think about this three or four weeks before.

What should we want to achieve? What data do we need to see? How do we want to change our Communications? All those things.

So, I talk to people, listen to them, and try to put together an answer that has broad support on the committee. So when we go into the committee on Tuesday morning [its start], I'm usually confident that I know where this will go.

8:55 Powell: These call calls are generally scheduled and go all day. The Friday before the meeting, I think I have 11 half-hour calls. We talk about the economy, we talk about very specific aspects of the economy, about our mandate, and then we talk about policy, so there's a lot to talk about. I take careful notes.

You can hear him explain it here.
3/3

Since Powell wants a 12-0 vote, he effectively gives everyone a veto.

See the chart above and the annotation about Waller. Waller is arguably the most hawkish member of the Fed. So, if the Fed wants to cut, it can only go as far as the most hawkish member agrees.

The probability of a 50 basis point cut was 60% right before Waller spoke, and it was 20% after he was done. In other words, Waller left the strong impression that he was good with a 25-point basis cut, but no more.

The Fed has only seen two dissents in the last four years. Both in 2022 (highlighted). This is the smallest number in over 70 years.

Again, this is how Powell designed it.

So, as he explained above, when Powell went through his 11 half-hour calls yesterday, and the market was 50/50, he had a lot of "horse trading" to do before a decision could be made (a 12-0 voting agreement).

Then, certain reporters are viewed as "Fed whisperers" who can be called and told "blue horseshoe likes a cut" and let them write a story that "signals" to everyone what will happen at the meeting.
I expect this story on Monday morning.

If not, then this process I described might be changing and could stay changed going forward, leading to more uncertainty and higher volatility.Image
Read 4 tweets
Sep 13
1/5

Actually, this is different.

Before the June 15, 2002, and March 22, 2023 FOMC meetings, the odds of a Fed move were very uncertain, ~50/50.

@NickTimiraos's stories right before these meetings removed uncertainty.

Yesterday's story created uncertainty (chart).

🧵Image
2/5

Going into the June 15, 2022, FOMC meeting, things were uncertain with a 35% - 45% odd 75bps hike.

@NickTimiraos cleared it up with this:
June 13, 2022 (48 hours before the meeting)
Fed Likely to Consider 0.75-Percentage-Point Rate Rise This Week
wsj.com/articles/bad-i…Image
3/5

Mar 7, 2023 SVB fell. The odds were 100% for a 25 bps hike before March 7. They fell to 55% a week before the Mar 22 FOMC meeting.

Timiroas cleared it up on Mar 20, sending the odds back to 86%

Federal Reserve Faces Tough Decision on Rate Increase
wsj.com/articles/feder…Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(