The Spaceshipper πŸš€ Profile picture
Nov 23, 2022 β€’ 15 tweets β€’ 5 min read β€’ Read on X
#Andor reminded me of when and why I became a Star Wars fan. It was neither for the Jedi nor for the ships.

I already liked the OT when I did Star Tours at 12. The feeling of descending into the Death Star trench and undermining the evilness of the Empire is what made me a fan. Image
It's always been about people's struggle against oppression (or what made oppression possible, for the Prequels. This is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause).

Star Wars never needed to be nostalgic for what it was, but to explore what it tells from the start. Image
Tony Gilroy and the Andor team have understood this well. I can say it now: Andor is now one of my favorite SW stories.

And by that, I mean alongside what I love most about Star Wars.
What I would never have believed possible, and which I no longer believed possible since 1999. Image
But #Andor has also been able to show that the battles and fights have even more impact when you take the time to dig deeper into the characters and highlight the issues.

Inspired by the golden age of TV series, they were able to bring emotion and meaning. Image
I thought very hard of the Iranians, Ukrainians, Afghans, Sudanese, Syrians, Nigerians, Yemenis, Ethiopians, and all those who suffer from oppression.
Failing to be able to do something.

Drawing inspiration from many revolutions throughout history, Andor spoke of all oppression.
It's funny to be so enthusiastic when Andor theoretically represented everything that I no longer wanted: a story around a character from the movies at the time of the Empire. Still.

But I'm wrong: the important thing is not the subject but the way of dealing with it.
Writing aside, huge congratulations to the production designer Luke Hull, as well as all the designers, concept artists, prop builders, costume designers, sound designer, and @NicholasBritell and @ILMLVFX and co. Everything was absolutely successful and worthy of the films. Image
@NicholasBritell The wait for the final season will be long.

And even if I understand that they preferred to devote their time to making 2 seasons rather than 5 because it would take them a decade, I will really regret not seeing such a level of storytelling for each year from now to Rogue One. Image
@NicholasBritell Now it's very cool that Star Wars can tell very different things, with knights, mercenaries and wizards, while exploring the tensions of a revolution elsewhere.

Going back to see Mando and Grogu between now and Andor's return will be very nice.
There is a lot to say on the lore and the ships too, but it's way too soon obviously.

(but a look at my TL shows me that you will quickly find it elsewhere)
Never, never, never I would have guessed that a SW series would become one of my favorites of the year.

I love the SW series, but like a candy of nostalgia surrounded by a paper of pretty concept art and behind the scenes stories. There I had an unexpected restaurant meal lol
Now finishing to write about the ships XD
I hope to finish during the day, but I also have to move my office because the roof should be removed tomorrow (and I care about my PC and my artbooks lol).
BTW in case you missed it, stay for the credits.
Thinking about him.

The young me becoming a fan (and an Ishi Tib) that day, at Star Tours.

Wanting to crush the Empire <3 Image

β€’ β€’ β€’

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
γ€€

Keep Current with The Spaceshipper πŸš€

The Spaceshipper πŸš€ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TheSpaceshipper

May 6
Please note that Star Trek Prodigy did not invent the concept of "lost kids on a spaceship".

There was The Astronauts (2020). There was Space Cases (1996), with Firefly's Jewel Staite (ans appearances of George Takei & Mark Hamill). There was SpaceCamp (1986).

And these are the ones that come to me from memory, without looking at my notes. There must be other stories, including lots of novels.

Because it's a solid basis for a story in space. What's important is how it's told.

We're building on what's gone before, and.... Image
...that's a good thing.

SpaceCamp, Space Cases, The Astronauts and Prodigy are distinct, and Skeleton Crew probably will be.

Plus, I don't understand why it seems like we learned about it yesterday when we've known about the synopsis for 2 years.

Read 5 tweets
Mar 22
I don't know how anyone with an account like mine will manage in 20 or 50 years.

For decades, the Internet was an incredible research tool. Of course, information had to be checked and cross-checked, but it was like a global library.

With the rise of AI, everything changed. Image
In less than 2 years, I've seen a flood of fake concept art and illustrations by great artists. Fake or altered Moebius or Foss art. I've seen fake production images. I've seen articles in the form of bad syntheses of poorly digested information.
Now I'm mostly relying solely on my own archives and books published before 2023. Anything I find since last summer I put in a separate directory (unless I'm sure of the source).

People born 20 years from now will arrive in a world where the truth will be way harder to find.
Read 8 tweets
Mar 19
[Thread] Farscape fans, to celebrate the show's 25th anniversary today, several interviews have been published.

Find them in this thread, along with the hope for a revival. 🀞

1/15

Showrunner Rockne O'Bannon: "Looking back, there's been a lot of conjecture about bringing..." Image
"...the show back which I'd love to do. Brian [Henson] and I have been talking about that at length for quite a while. And even though we would love to have gotten it going sooner, there's actually something to be said about having had a 25 year gap. It's not something you..." Image
"...would ever plan to do. But I think it's potentially a real advantage in that there is such a span of time that the characters could have grown and other things could have happened."

"The Uncharted Territory, where the series takes place, is truly wildly expansive..." Image
Read 17 tweets
Feb 9
[Thread] Star Trek Into Darkness (2013): The office of Admiral Alexander Marcus and a history of (space) flight

The production design of this unloved film is nice. For example, this office contains a number of ship models (including the villain's secret shipπŸ‘Œ). Image
A history of space flight by Admiral Alexander Marcus:

Created by Quantum Mechanix's artisan prop and model shop, @QMxInsider FX Cinema Arts, these 14 models were made of mixed media including resin and plastic.

It took a team of six model makers about two months to create this history of spaceflight miniatures. Image
Read 24 tweets
Dec 13, 2023
[Thread] Lucasfilm/Star Wars/LucasArts/@ILMVFX holiday cards through timeπŸ’«

It's a tradition we've compiled into the fifty or so tweets below. Image
2023: Art by @menyhei Image
2022: Art by @AmcbToraidhe Image
Read 45 tweets
Oct 10, 2023
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (LucasArts) was released 26 years ago today.

And since we won't have a Star Wars TV show for a while, why not (re)discover the adventures of Kyle Katarn? Let's get on with the Valley of the Jedi quest.

1/22 Image
The story begins one year after the fall of Emperor Palpatine, when a group of Dark Jedi, searching for the location of the legendary Valley of the Jedi, capture Qu Rahn, a Jedi Master...

2/22
But it's on Nar Shaddaa that we find Kyle Katarn (Jason Court), hero of Dark Forces (1995), who is trying to find out more about his father's death from an information broker droid, 8t88.

This dive into the city was fantastic for its time.
3/22
Read 27 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(