JChoe Profile picture
Nov 26, 2022 9 tweets 6 min read Read on X
This is going to use politicized terms - especially with antisemitism lately - so, again, you've got to exercise a basic, basic skill of disinformation: holding an idea in your head without believing it

What you're seeing here is a sus #nafofella profile tying us to al-Qassam🧵
Again, this is heavily politicized, so let's go with what the U.S. government says.

The Director of Nat'l Intelligence website says al-Qassam is the militant wing of HAMAS.
dni.gov/nctc/groups/ha…

Per State, they're still a terrorist org (since '97)
state.gov/foreign-terror…
This is also timely given Israeli elections.

This is not the time nor place (and I'm not the author) for primer to Israeli politics, so:

Congressional Research Service says, it's chaotic, there's a LOT of different parties and it's very fractious.
crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RL…
What just happened was a parliamentary shake-up - I'm not going to pretend to understand the details - that resulted in a very, very far-right government in Israel.

AP:
apnews.com/article/middle…

Guardian: theguardian.com/world/2022/nov…
So it shouldn't be a surprise how Ben-Gvir feels about HAMAS or for that matter al-Qassam.
m.facebook.com/ibengvir/photo…

Understanding the strategy he's using requires, again, suspending some level of whether or not you agree with Ben-Gvir or the US & Israel's treatment of HAMAS.
A direct juxtaposition makes it somewhat clearer.

The upshot here is that for some reason NAFO is becoming somewhat of a football - for at least one rather sus account - in Israeli right-wing politics' strategies of enemy-creation and "other"-ing.
By way of context here, Ben-Gvir saying Ha'aretz is a HAMAS rag is roughly equivalent to....

I don't know, Farage maybe?

...saying The Guardian is, like, a pinko commie rag

It's not very accurate. They're lefty, sure, but also very good factually.
mediabiasfactcheck.com/haaretz/
It's interesting in three ways here:

One, what this says about right-wing politics in general and Israeli right-wing politics,

Two, what this suggests about how the Israeli right feels about NAFO and, by extension, NATO and supporting Ukraine in Russia's war against it
Three, the way that NAFO is becoming - as other #nafoFellas have noted - like antifa or BlackLivesMatter, kind of a catch-all term for any digital grassroots anti-propaganda you don't like.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with JChoe

JChoe Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JoohnChoe

Aug 23
There are three parts of an argumentative act in Platonic theory:

- logos, its logical grist
- ethos, the manner in which it's delivered
- pathos, its emotional appeal component

Harris' primary task in her DNC speech was ethos: she had to show she can be Presidential.
(🧵) Image
So the really interesting thing that's happening here is the "solution" that Harris finds to a frankly ferociously unenviable problem to me, portraying a 'plausible', believable President that you could vote for, while avoiding two very common tropes applied to female speakers.
I've seen female debaters come up with a lot of different solutions for this, in college and in high school; my sister was one of them, so were the kids I worked with in my debate app company.

Kamala Harris is doing something different here than other solutions I've seen. Image
Read 7 tweets
Aug 21
Used to run a debate startup before I did this political thing for money. The reason why I switched was this advice I got that I'll share with you:

It's all about the community

This is sort of opaque without context so let me provide that -

(🧵)
Back in December of '17 I knew a couple of things the rest of the world didn't know about the special election in Alabama for a U.S. Senate seat that had just happened.

In March of '18 the rest of the world found out one of them.
archive.is/SXaBD
I also knew the people who did this, though I didn't know what they were doing; just that they were part of a loose network of political operatives working Alabama because it was a flashpoint.

Nearly a year later I found out along with the rest of the world. Image
Read 12 tweets
Aug 21
The question is, where do we run @ResponsibleFP advertisements using the Make America Joyful Again cat (or just "joy cat") if we're looking to maximize our impact?

Start from paths to victory; there are three paths to victory to look at, two for Harris and one for Trump.

1/5 Image
Path 1 is "blue wall states" plus one part of Nebraska.

Path 2 is, flip a Sun Belt state. If Harris loses one or even multiple Blue Wall states but carries a state like AZ, NC or Nevada (where Sen. Rosen (D, NV) is up by two-digit numbers in polls), she can win.

2/ Image
Trump has somewhat less "optionality" compared to Harris.

His "critical path" looks like he has to carry win two states, Pennsylvania and Georgia, to make 270, while holding every state he has a lead in, and losing the states that are going Harris' way.

3/ Image
Read 7 tweets
Aug 11
It's interesting maybe even useful to go into why MAGAs are so obsessed with that one photo of a crowd in Michigan that they think is photoshopped or AI-generated.

In summary, it's because of the fundamental lie of MAGA's popularity that they have to keep up.

1/4 Image
There are recurrent lies that entities like MAGA, Russia, or Boeing have to keep up - indeed, telling these lies is how they sustain themselves and survive, it's how they exploit the audiences they lie to.

These lies are repeated, basic violations of 'felicity conditions'

2/4 Image
When we talk, so the theory goes, we agree tacitly to conditions, one of which is "do not state that which you know to be untrue or is unsupported by evidence". If I keep breaking that rule, then... why would you listen to me?

And yet this is damn near every Republican.

3/4 Image
Read 6 tweets
Aug 10
So on Twitter at least most of you probably know me from NAFO or the resistance, to a lesser extent, my research being in the Times or the Post.

One thing I also do is make memes; some you've probably seen, others not.

I track them too.

1/12

I made this.

This is the first post of this image on Facebook (and also proof that I created it):

and on Twitter

To borrow a meme phrase itself, what you're seeing right here is meme warfare.facebook.com/choejoohn/post…
This is the GIF version.

I asked a volunteer, someone I only know on the Internet, to make a looping GIF from the components of the image I gave them and go "dealer's choice" on the result

We were sort of debating whether animating the arms was worth it; it turns out, it was.
Read 13 tweets
Aug 9
A lot of people think this one by @helenstickler is AI-generated. It's not.

This is *ordinary* for the Harris campaign.

Something is happening, and whatever dumb new attack Trump & Vance come up with, history will remember this time as about her, not them. (1/2)
That's not fake; the signs are two-sided, that's why they look like they face backwards. That's not AI

That's 15K people in Michigan.

Trump, by comparison, couldn't even fill a 10k person auditorium where Harris had people standing in the parking lot just to be a part of things

really if anything

that is cropped to look *smaller* Image
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(