John Ridge ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Profile picture
Dec 1, 2022 โ€ข 13 tweets โ€ข 6 min read โ€ข Read on X
Reports that ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ Kh-22s are exploding mid-flight are the least surprising news I've heard all war. A ๐Ÿงตwith some thoughts. 1/13
The Kh-22 [AS-4 Kitchen] is a supersonic air-launched cruise missile originally developed as an anti-shipping missile. First entering service in 1962, it is the oldest standoff munition in ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ inventory. Production is estimated to have ceased around 1988. 2/13 ImageImage
The Kh-22 is carried exclusively by ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ Tu-22M3 [Backfire-C] strategic bombers. The Tu-22M3 can carry up to 3 Kh-22s, though it is common for them to carry one or two at a time. 3/13 ImageImage
The most interesting and relevant technical aspect of the Kh-22 is its propulsion system. Unlike other cruise missiles that typically use jet engines, the Kh-22 uses an actual liquid-propellant rocket engine. 4/13 ImageImage
The Kh-22 is powered by a single R-201-300 engine developed by the Isayev Design Bureau (OKB-2). The R-201-300 uses TG-02 (also known as Tonka or Tonka-250) as the fuel and AK-27I, a formulation of inhibited red-fuming nitric acid (IRFNA), as the oxidizer. 5/13 ImageImageImage
TG-02 is a ~50/50 mixture of triethylamine and various isomers of xylidine. AK27I consists of ~73% nitric acid, ~27% dinitrogen tetroxide (NTO), and an iodine-based inhibitor. The inhibitor is present to prevent the nitric acid from rapidly corroding the oxidizer tanks. 6/13 Image
The combination of TG-02 and AK27I is hypergolic, meaning they ignite immediately upon contact with each other in the absence of an ignition source. While this simplifies engine design by not requiring a separate ignition system, it complicates propellant handling. 7/13
The Kh-22's propellants, combined with the age of the missiles, themselves likely goes a long way to explain these in-flight failures. The newest units are almost 35 years old. The R-201-300 is a maze of pumps and propellant lines that have valves, seals, etc. 8/13 Image
A single eroded seal could lead to a propellant leak that would easily cause an explosive engine failure, esp. since the propellants are hypergolic. For example, the Cygnus Orb-3 mission failed when one of Antares' 35-year-old NK-33 engines exploded shortly after launch. 9/13 ImageImage
Deviations in propellant composition due to improper storage could likewise cause a violent engine failure. For example, the nitric acid in IRFNA decomposes over time to nitrogen dioxide, water, and oxygen with exposure to light or elevated temperatures. 10/13 Image
Despite the presence of an inhibitor, IRFNA will still slowly corrode its storage tank. Over time, this will leech material from the tank walls and contaminate the propellant. Either of these effects could produce a significant deviation in propellant composition. 11/13
These deviations could easily produce temperatures or pressures that exceed design parameters or potentially cause unexpected combustion instabilities leading to violent vibrations capable of tearing the engine and missile apart. 12/13 Image
These are just a few examples of the innumerable failure modes that are possible when working with aged (and likely improperly stored/maintained) liquid rocket engines and propellants (that are also hypergolic). 13/13

โ€ข โ€ข โ€ข

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
ใ€€

Keep Current with John Ridge ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

John Ridge ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @John_A_Ridge

May 24
Why is GLSDB more susceptible to Russian electronic warfare than SDB? A few thoughts.

SDB and GLSDB are identical and share a GPS/IMU set. The relevant differences are range and target selection.
1|5

(Repost due to typo)
GLSDB has a range of >150 km while SDB has a range of ~110 km from a ~12 km release altitude and ~270 m/s release airspeed.

Position error due to accumulated inertial measurement unit drift is quadratically proportional to time of flight and range by extension.
2|5 Image
Per interviews with Ukrainian pilots, they are typically releasing JDAM-ER at ~8 km. As SDB's employment profile is likely extremely similar, this is going to bring its range to <100 km.
3|5
Read 5 tweets
Mar 26
So what is 3M22 Tsirkon (SS-N-33)? I have some thoughts based on written Russian sources, published test footage, and conversations with Ukrainian colleagues.

Is Tsirkon a โ€œhypersonic (anti-ship) cruise missile? The answer is โ€œyesnโ€™tโ€๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿป
1|20
While renders from the past decade depict it as a rocket-assisted scramjet vehicle, similar to X-51 Waverider, this is not accurate to the system that has been fielded.

I suspect that they potentially depict an earlier Tsirkon concept that was abandoned or not pursued.
2|20

Since the first live fire test in 2020, all published images and video have indicated a design substantially different design.

Rather than a scramjet vehicle, Tsirkon bore a striking resemblance to 3M55 Oniks (third image), Russiaโ€™s existing supersonic ASCM system.
3|20

Read 28 tweets
Mar 23
This is going to be a spicy ๐Ÿงต, especially for Ukrainians.

But people need to realize that there was no feasible way for Ukraine to have retained its Soviet nuclear weapons in the 1990s. And attempting to would not have ensured Ukraineโ€™s sovereignty.
1|7
Russia had the codes for the weaponsโ€™ Permissive Action Links. Ukraine had no way to arm them without rebuilding the weapons and replacing their PALs.

Moreover, Ukraine could not maintain the warheads, which required regular servicing, without Russian assistance.
2|7
Even if Ukraine was willing to spend the money and time to build a nuclear weapons industry to overcome these challenges, both the U.S. and Russia were fundamentally unwilling to accept the existence of a nuclear-armed Ukraine.
3|7
Read 7 tweets
Mar 2
Good overview of the challenges facing the Marine. Some additional context for SM-2 production. The SM-2 Block IIIAZ All-Up Rounds ordered from Raytheon are new build as far as I am aware. They are modifications of existing USN SM-2 Block IIIA stock.
The USN ordered 94 SM-2IIIAZ MODs and does not appear to be pursuing additional orders and there are no pending FMS orders. SM-2 Block IIIC MODS will likely continue through 2035 for the USN's Acquisition Objective for 1,000 SM-2IIIC AURs as well as FMS actions. Image
Upon the completion of the Netherlands', Denmark's, Chile's, and Taiwan's SM-2IIIA orders, the only new production AURs will be SM-2IIIBs for South Korea, Japan, and Australia as well as SM-2IIICs for Canada and an expected future Australian order.
Read 5 tweets
Dec 25, 2023
Getting some pushback on my comments concerning @MriyaReport last night.

To clarify for those that arenโ€™t familiar, myself and about 50% of the MR team (and 100% of MRโ€™s subject matter experts) left in January 2023 because we were uncomfortable with the direction it was taking.
We became deeply uncomfortable with the volume of misinformation about the frontline and other topics that was being aired by MRโ€™s leadership, @BalticSnowTiger (Axel) and @YAmzallagh (Joe), as well as frequent guests such as @ChuckPfarrer.
We took these concerns explicitly to Joe and Axel repeatedly. However, we were given a cold shoulder and our concerns were ignored. We also raised security and governance concerns regarding the incorporation of MR as a NGO with 501(c)3 status, but were likewise ignored.
Read 8 tweets
Dec 1, 2023
.@anduriltech Roadrunner Round 2: I wrote my prior thread last night having only read the tweets and not some of the ancillary info and I was wrong about a few things, so wanted to go back and do something more serious.
Roadrunner is a reusable VTOL Group 3 UAS that supports a variety of modular payloads. Roadrunner-M is a Roadrunner equipped with a high explosive warhead for use as C-UAS effector against G-3 UAS threats.
In addition to loitering, Roadrunner-M can, depending on the payload, re-attack targets it fails to defeat, potentially be recovered after an attack, and is presumably retargetable.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(