Mauro Gilli Profile picture
Dec 3, 2022 20 tweets 8 min read Read on X
Given the attention to the B21, here I have listed some articles and books that I found useful when I wanted to understand #stealth technology (or "low observable", LO).
First and foremost, to understand stealth you need to have at least some general understanding of radar (and more generally, sensors). I wrote a thread some time ago with some references

A great place to start for stealth is this book by Richardson (they have different titles, but it's literally the same book, one just came out after the other) which provides a historical overview, and accessible explanations devoid of technical discussions.
Bill Sweetman wrote or co-wrote several books in the 1980s and 1990s on stealth aircraft. They are generally short and accessible, and add some technical details explained in very simple way.
Similarly accessible and with an eye to operational context is this report by the Mitchell Institute, which puts stealth in context.
This report gets a bit more technical, but it's again very short, and is overall accessible. Written by a physicist who worked on stealth technology and taught about it.
This biography of Ben Rich, the "father of Stealth" at Skunk Work, is also very interesting, in that it provides many anecdotes about the challenges of developing the stealth aircraft.
This recent book, by historian Westwick, provides the economic, social and strategic context behind the development of stealth technology.
The chapter by Kaminsky is also very interesting, and focuses more on the strategic contexts behind the development of stealth.
These two articles, respectively by Welch and Lepingwell, are interesting for many reasons, including the fact that they provide an idea of the public debate at the time the F-117 had been disclosed and the B-2 was about to be unveiled.
On the F-117 being disclosed, you might want to go and check this issue of Aviation Week and Space Technology.
Moving to more technical writings, this article in IEEE Explore provides a historical overview of stealth, with some technical details (ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/259548).
Aviation Week, a couple of years ago, had a series of 7 articles on Sstealth, if you do not have a physics or electronic engineering background, some parts might be a big demanding, but overall they are explained in a very simple way. here are 4 of 7
aviationweek.com/defense-space/…
This article by a Northrop Grumman engineer provides an introduction to assessing how stealth enhances survivability.
This volume by former Lockheed engineer is a must and treats both what stealth is and its implications in a much deeper and broader way than the other works listed. It gets quite technical, but it covers most of what you will need to know.
To understand the principles behind reductions in observability to radar, many books on radar engineering and electromagnetic scattering will have some useful discussions. If you have already such an understanding, these two books provide a deeper (more technical) dive.
These two articles discuss how evolving air defense technology erodes the advantage of stealth, which put the development of the B-21 in perspective.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mauro Gilli

Mauro Gilli Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Mauro_Gilli

May 9
Non è alcuna verità storica. E' una visione del tutto parziale dei fatti.
La seconda guerra mondiale in Europa è stata vinta in particolare in mare e nei cieli, domini in cui l'Unione Sovietica ha giocato un ruolo pressoché nullo. Possiamo riconoscere il sacrificio umano dell'Armata Rosa (alleata dei Nazisti fino al 1941), ma non cambia i fatti.
In Europa, la WWII è stata vinta grazie a:
- il radar "centimetrico" che hanno vinto la Battaglia dell'Atlantico (insieme alla capacità di decifrare Enigma e ad al sonar attivo ASDIC);
Read 8 tweets
Apr 25
Orsini ha scritto un articolo delirante contro di me e @aa_gilli. L'articolo invece di rispondere a critiche fattuali che io e Andrea, in due thread diversi, abbiamo avanzato verso sue affermazioni prive di fondamento, si lancia in una invettiva verso di noi.
Orsini cerca poi, maldestramente, di riproporre nuovamente la sua speculazione per cui i sistemi di difesa iraniani riuscirebbero ad abbattere un F-35 a 300-400km di distanza.
Per Orsini, evidentemente, quando si solcano i confini iraniani, le leggi della fisica smettono di essere valide. Un po' come la pastella (grits) nella cucina del testimone di Mio Cugino Vincenzo.
Read 14 tweets
Apr 21
Mi è stato girato questo video del professor Orsini, secondo il quale la limitata risposta Iraniana all’attacco Iraniano è spiegata dal fatto che l’Iran ha sistemi di difesa antiaerea che possono “colpire gli aerei Israeliani a 300-400km di distanza, cioè è in grado di colpire...
... sia missili balistici di lunga gittata, sia i droni, sia i caccia di quinta generazione, cioè fondamentalmente gli F-35 americani, che sono i caccia più avanzati di cui Israele disponga.”

Non so neanche da dove iniziare. Se non fosse tutto deprimente, sarebbe divertente.
Il professor Orsini parla chiaramente di cose che non conosce, ma con tono sicuro e frasi ad effetto (invocando “la logica”) cerca di impressionare gli ascoltatori, e chi è in studio. Poiché c’è un limite a tutto, qui riporto un po’ di fatti e di “logica”.
Read 27 tweets
Apr 16
We live in an age in which nobody admits being wrong, so quite remarkable to read someone doing it. In this regard, I have a couple of points.
First, the paradox about the debate about missile defense and the F-35 (regardless of which side you take) is that the unconventional thinkers soon created a new orthodoxy.
Somehow hinting that missile defense could intercept ballistic missiles was considered heresy in some circles until just a couple of years ago. To say nothing about acknowledging some strengths of the F-35.
Read 11 tweets
Feb 14
Italy squandered 135 billion (yes, with a b) with its measures to promote growth during the pandemic. corriere.it/economia/finan…
In particular through the "Bonus 110" which literally covered 100% of costs for refurbishing houses and left some chips for banks. One of the most regressive fiscal measures to date. And one which is likely going to restrict any fiscal leeway for the next years.
Keep it mind next time Italian politicians complain about European fiscal rules and austerity, and they ask for more freedom in spending. They could have invested in infrastructure, education, kindergartens, hospitals, research. They decided to give free money to well-off people.
Read 4 tweets
Feb 10, 2023
Last night I read the Seymour Hersch's piece. I am probably late to the party and I am sure much more competent people than me have already take a stab at it, but here I wrote down a couple of points about the part on the activation of underwater mines.
Spoiler: it doesn't makes much sense.

If you haven't read Hersch's essay, here you can find it. To me it reads as a great Hollywood script, more than an accurate account of events. Below I explain why.
seymourhersh.substack.com/p/how-america-…
I will not focus on the detailed account of the meetings & similar. Despite being rather implausible (to start from the fact that one only source has all these details), this is not where the biggest problems are. Rather, with how the sabotage operation was carried out.
Read 26 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(