Justin Alexander Profile picture
Dec 11, 2022 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
My deluxe edition of #Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen has escaped from the maw of shipping!

I have not done much more than flip through it at this point, but let's take a quick peek. Image
Back of the Deluxe Edition lays out what you've got here:

- The campaign book.
- The board game.
- The DM screen. Image
I do wish that the Deluxe Edition box was functional.

(It would be nice, for example, to pack everything up if I were taking it to a friend's house or game store.)
But with this tab design, it is not. Image
Also, the box is made out of tissue paper.

I actually made an effort to gentle separate the tab, but the force still somehow managed to rip the back corner of the box?

C'est la vie.
Inside the box we can see the good stuff securely packed away.

Great design on the cardboard insert. Keeps everything tight & protected, even when the box is wandering around the upper Midwest.

(Might be the only 5E book I've had mailed that didn't end up with a dinged corner.) Image
Early promo images had suggested the deluxe edition would have a copy of the regular edition cover. But it turns out the deluxe edition has its own, unique cover with a metallic treatment. ImageImage
Full spread, featuring the full DM screen.

Great spread on the DM screen. Would be more than happy to have this setting tone for the table. Image
Interior of the screen.

Left side has your core D&D references. Image
I like seeing the skill list.

And organized alphabetically, rather than split up by ability score.
This was a debate we recently had while designing the Planegea GM screen. Utility of being able to glance at skill list for rulings is essential; and I'm a big fan of the variant rule for flexibly pairing of a skill to the most appropriate ability score.
I wish Conditions didn't chew up a full panel. It's incredibly useful to have that info on the screen, but it's something we actually ended up dropping from the Planegea screen because of what we would have to give up in other utility.
The other half of the screen has the campaign-specific stuff.

Pay particular attention to the visual reference for the many different flavors of draconians. I love this, because I know from experience that keeping them all straight can be tough for a new #Dragonlance DM. Image
I actually think setting-specific and campaign-specific reference on a GM screen is great, but often overlooked because commercial screens usually go for system-generic.

I don't always agree with what WotC chooses to put on there...

...and I can't really judge for this specific screen yet (since I haven't actually read the campaign).

But, in principle, I like the approach.

The custom graphics for each campaign are also a great way to set tone.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Justin Alexander

Justin Alexander Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @hexcrawl

Jun 7
Hypothesis: The beholder's mouth gets larger with each new edition.

Let's start with the original 1975 appearance on the cover of Supplement I: Greyhawk. Image
Okay, let's compare AD&D 1E (Tom Wham) to AD&D 2E (Jeff Easley).

Here I think you could argue that the 1E beholder has a wider mouth, but I definitely think the 2E has more maw.
Now AD&D 2E (Jeff Easley) to D&D 3E (Scott Fischer).

Bigger teeth. Bigger mouth.
Beholder, AD&D 2e (Jeff Easley)
Behlder, D&D 3e (Scott Fischer)
Read 9 tweets
Jan 22
This article was removed because it was attracting transphobes and its original purpose was also defunct.

Core claims from the article and the discussion at the time it was written:

1. You shouldn't deadname people.
2. However, the ethics of re-editing material written before a name change is complicated.

3. If Jennell requested a change to the original article, I would change it.

(She did, and I did.)
For better or for worse, I stand by those claims.
Read 8 tweets
Jan 22
I have been asked to respond to this post.

Short version: The post is not only lying about what I said, it's also wrong about what Jennell said and what Jennell's wife has said.

diyanddragons.blogspot.com/2024/01/xander…
For one example completely out of my control, the post claims Jennell's wife said she was in a coma on November 1st in the GoFundMe updates.

You can go look: That's not true.

(Make a donation while you're there.)

gofundme.com/f/jennell-jaqu…
The post is, IMO, deceptive in countless ways, for example by claiming that my descriptions of private messaging in the spring of 2023 is actually describing a public comment on a deleted blog post from 2018.
Read 7 tweets
Jun 20, 2023
When I did theater, we would periodically run into "my significant other is uncomfortable with my character (me) kissing someone onstage."

Never once had someone's significant other get concerned about their significant other getting stabbed or haunted by a ghost on stage.
Remove the script and the formality of the stage and... well...
I'm not even saying "it's because people will get concerned." I'm saying human emotion is complicated and personal comfort with emotion, particularly in Puritanical America, is varied.
Read 16 tweets
Jun 19, 2023
Re: 5E DMG. #dnd

A lot is made of chapter order (start by creating a pantheon of gods!). That's easy to point to, but is really only representative of the more fundamental problem:

The designers didn't have a clear vision for the structure of play. Cover of 5E Dungeon Master'...
So there's a bunch of stuff, but very little of it is actually connected to any clear function. It seems mostly sourced from other D&D books and a vague sense that this is "cool" or "should be there."

Which makes it tough for the reader to come to grips with it.
It's like a hoarder's garage. If you dig through it, you're occasionally like, "Holy crap! There's a 3D printer in here!"

The print head is missing and you'll need to track down some filament before you can use it, but... 3D printer! Wow!
Read 6 tweets
Jan 20, 2023
OGL 1.2 survey is live.

survey.alchemer.com/s3/7182208/OGL…  1. Would you like to provide feedback on the content of the
Well... a lot, actually. 2. Now that you've read the proposed OGL 1.2, what concerns
But here's my tight response:

Attempting to de-authorize the OGL is simply unacceptable. I will not purchase anything from Hasbro if you persist in this extra-legal act of cultural vandalism.
Read 29 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(