Mr UFO 👒🛸 Profile picture
Dec 12, 2022 18 tweets 12 min read Read on X
One Piece Theory:

The Origin of the Devil Fruits.

A theory that combines spirals, the broken horn, puns, and the recent lore from Egghead Island.

What if there was no Devil Fruit tree…?

#onepiece #onepiecetheory
A little disclaimer - as with most theories of mine this might prove to be false, and it’s definitely reaching in parts.

Like Vegapunk said - "This is only my theory."

However, I think it’s a fun idea worth sharing…because I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else.

Let’s go.
Let’s recap what we know about Devil Fruits.

(1) Eating it grants users special abilities. In return, they lose the ability to swim.

(2) Vegapunk has said it’s the wish for the next step of human evolution - a result of wishes and desires.
(3) The Devil Fruits are covered in a swirl pattern, similar to Sanji’s eyebrows, and one we’ve seen in Oda's signature.

(4) When a User dies, their ability is reincarnated into another fruit, for someone else to eat.
(5) Records of Devil Fruits exist - as mentioned by Vegapunk, Blackbeard and Sanji, in Devil Fruit Encyclopedias.

I think that’s about all we know - now…the mystery remains: where do they come from?
Oda takes numerous references from Greek mythology.

In fact, the types of Devil Fruit are rooted in Greek words - check out @Senhor_Werner thread here.

Could there be a Greek mythology Oda might be drawing inspiration from? I believe so.

The Cornucopia or the Horn of Plenty is a horn overflowing with fruits and other goodies.

As a baby, Zeus was cared for by the goat, Amalthea.

Not knowing his strength, Zeus broke off one of her horns, which then had the divine power to provide unending nourishment.
Beyond the myth, the Horn of Plenty is used in Thanksgiving and Coat of Arms as a symbol of abundance. It’s even appeared in the Hunger Games.

I think that in One Piece, there exists a Horn inspired by this that can either produce Devil Fruits, or turn normal fruits into DFs.
Here's how it can work: someone will blow into the Horn, and it’ll turn their desire or wish for the future into an ability.

My speculation is that it’ll cost the blower their life - but their will or dream will be inherited by someone else - hence the idea of inherited will.
Now - I’ve seen this being tossed around: how do we get something like the Jake Jake No Mi or the Beri Beri no Mi?

Perhaps the Horn gives you what it thinks you need, and not what you think you need.

When it comes to wishes, sometimes they don’t always go perfectly.
So where does the spiral come in?

I believe that the spiral represents the Horn. The spirals are actually little horns viewed from one end.

It’s possible that the origin of the Devil Fruit is hinted at on the Devil Fruit itself.
One of the other recurring images is that of the broken horn.

We saw it with the Ancient Giant of Egghead, Onigashima, Kaido, Magellan and even Chopper.

Could this be related to the Devil Fruit's origins?

I believe so.
Just like the legend where Zeus broke the horn of Amalthea, it’s possible that the horn originally belonged to a creature - it was broken off and this became the horn that produced Devil Fruits.

The creatured could be an ancient giant, oni or ox - there are many possibilities.
The Horn actually makes sense in relation to the “Devil Fruit”. After all, Devils have horns.

Devil Fruit = the fruits that come from the Devil’s Horn.
So to recap - the origin of the Devil Fruit is inspired by the Horn of Plenty, a horn that symbolizes abundance and fortune.

Just like the Horn of Plenty, a horn was broken off the Sea Devil, and blowing into it allows one to manifest their desires into Devil Fruits.
If this all sounds a bit too much, consider this - Nika himself might be inspired by Zeus or Jupiter.

Interested? Check out this thread here:
Of course, this isn’t the first time I’m talking about a horn. Shanks and Buggy might have something to do with this too.

Check out this thread here:
If you made it all the way here, thank you for reading!

This theory fits all my other music theories, and my theory on what the One Piece is. Check my pinned. 🎶

Is it a horn? Or is it something else? We'll see what Oda has in store.

Do like and RT if you enjoy this thread! 🙏

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mr UFO 👒🛸

Mr UFO 👒🛸 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @StrawhatUFO

Feb 6
One Piece Theory:

The Numerous Hidden Wordplays of ‘Nerona (ネロナ)'.

& What it might tell us about the enemy (and a friend).

#onepiece #onepiecetheoryImage
In Chapter 1086, Oda revealed that one of the First 20 Sovereigns bore the name of Nerona Imu.

While Oda hasn’t revealed much about Imu themself, there’s actually a few things that the name ‘Nerona’ might tell us.

In this thread, I’ll break it down. Let’s go!Image
Disclaimer: if you don’t like wordplays, this won’t be the thread for you.

Don = Dawn; Gol D = Gold, Usopp a combination of Lie in Japanese (Uso) + Aesop, Ace is a reference to the Ace of Spade, Noland is a reference to him finding “no land”.

Names in One Piece mean something. Image
Read 29 tweets
Feb 2
One Piece Theory:

LODESTAR ISLAND.

& the Realization that Awaits the Future Pirate King.

Once again, Lodestar Island has entered my thoughts. It’s the island that the Roger Pirates reached - only to find themselves having to start their adventure anew.

In the latest opening, we see it twinkling at the end of the Grand Line; a shining star beyond the horizon. Image
There’s this nagging question that's bothering me - if Laugh Tale is the end goal, and Laugh Tale can be reached with the four Road Poneglyphs, what is the purpose of reaching the end of the Grand Line?

What is the purpose of Lodestar?Image
Read 39 tweets
Jan 27
One Piece Theory:

The Incident That Will Shock The World.

BIG NEWS: THE SKY IS FALLING.

For a while now, it’s been hinted that a great incident will happen at Egghead.

There are some possibilities of what this could be...the death of a Gorosei will surely be shocking. Punk Record blasting out its content will also be shocking.

But I think there might be more. Image
In this thread, I’ll share my theory on what the incident could be and uncover some of Oda's secrets. It’s shocking; it might not come true, but at least, it’ll be fun to think about.

This'll be a long one, so buckle up.

Let’s talk about Kuma, the Hero Who'll Break The Sky. Image
Read 37 tweets
Dec 29, 2023
One Piece Theory:

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐩 𝐨𝐟 𝐊𝐮𝐦𝐚’𝐬 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥.

A theory which starts at Thriller Bark and ends, like a retro mecha anime, with Bonney on a giant robot.

A little disclaimer before we start - this theory will speculate about what might happen in the next few chapters. It may or may not come true - still, if there's a chance to use knowledge I learned from being an ARMY, I'll jump at it.

Also, there'll be puns. Let's go.
To cut to the chase, I'll talk about how Kuma is "inside" the Ancient Robot. I'm by no means the first to propose this idea - a big shout-out to @writingpanini who's been on this.

Check out Panini's post here.
Read 34 tweets
Dec 12, 2023
One Piece Theory:

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐦 𝐑𝐨𝐨𝐦.

"..."

In this theory, I’ll talk about the secret Imu is hiding and, more importantly, its sinister connection to Devil Fruits.

The Phantom Room, or the Lost Chamber was first mentioned in Chapter 1084. We know little about it - other than the fact that the guards who see it seem to disappear.

It’s clearly an important place, with connections to Imu and perhaps even the Void Century - but why??? Image
For this theory, I’ll break it down to three sections - (1) connections to Newkama Land, (2) the meaning of 幻, or maboroshi, and finally, (3) how everything points back to the Devil Fruits.

This theory will have some reaches, puns (of course) and all that good stuff. Let's go!
Read 25 tweets
Nov 20, 2023
One Piece Mini Theory:

𝐑𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐃. 𝐗𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐜’𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐞𝐠𝐠.

In this theory, I’ll offer you four observations that point to one thing: the treasure that was taken from Hachinosu was an egg. 🥚

Before I start, I just want to say that this thread is going to have A LOT of puns. If you don't like puns, feel free to turn back.

Puns are key to One Piece - from the laughter of the characters, to the meaning of bounties and the names of people and places.

Now let's go.
For the longest time, it was assumed that Xebec was the one who went to God Valley, of his own accord.

However, Chapter 1096 added in a surprising new detail - a Celestial Dragon had taken something from Hachinosu.
Read 29 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(