Dr Pete Olusoga Profile picture
Dec 31, 2022 15 tweets 7 min read Read on X
A lovely #NewYear 🧵

Do you want to develop HABITS to become a more SUCCESSFUL version of yourself?

Well here are my top 'life-hacks' for 2023 that will make you an instant SUCCESS and a BETTER human.

You are welcome.

#NewYears #NewYearsResolution #NewYear2023 #RandomCaps
1. WAKE UP EARLY! Getting up at 4am means you're up an hour earlier than those losers who get up at 5. Even if your kid has been awake most of the night and you've had 90 minutes total sleep, rise and shine, you lazy git. You can use the extra hour to be MORE SUCCESSFUL at life.
2. GET 8 HOURS SLEEP EVERY NIGHT. Sleep is... oh, wait, if you're up at 4, that means going to bed at 8. Uh... you'll figure it out, because you want to be SUCCESSFUL, remember!

Maybe soundproof your kid's room so their night terrors won't disturb your sweet, sweet slumber.
3. STICK TO A BEDTIME ROUTINE! No phones, ipads, television, communication with the outside world, or fun of any kind, at least TWO HOURS before bed. So make sure you get anything that requires a screen done before 6!
4. TAKE AN ONLINE COURSE! Ah, okay, well you're gonna have to do this before 6, so looks like the kids are gonna have to get their own tea and cook yours as well. But it'll be worth it when you've learned how to code, or do accounting, or some other random shit you'll never use.
5. REGULARLY POST PICTURES OF YOURSELF SMOKING CIGARS, standing next to cars, and ... uh... eating pizza(?) to show how SUCCESSFUL you are even if you are just a prat. Maybe wear a bathrobe. Everyone will think you very sexy and brilliant and definitely not a massive dickhead.
6. READ 20 PAGES EVERY DAY! Forget about reading for pleasure. That's for losers. Improve your own obviously STUPID life by reading some self-help, life-hack KNOWLEDGE BOMBS written by completely unqualified SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE. You can find half an hour to do that, no problem!
7. EXERCISE DAILY. Move, walk, run, lift weights. Every day. No rest! Rest is for betas. Not sure when you're gonna fit this in, but you're resourceful. Maybe at 4am when you're half asleep? They have 24 hour gyms now and the kids will be fine in the house by themselves!
8. BE GRATEFUL. Even when everything around you is terrible and the earth is dying, be happy that you're not dead, you ungrateful shit. Spend 30 mins every day desperately trying to think of things to be thankful for while the world burns around you. Write it down. Feel better!
9. MEAL PREP! You work full time, so why not spend one day of your weekend filling tuppaware with the same dreary shit for your week's lunches. Don't worry about washing, cleaning, shopping, or interacting with your family or other humans. That won't make you a SUPER SUCCESS!
10. MEDITATE EVERY DAY! Maybe this is what you can do at 4am! Good luck not falling asleep! Although, you won't need luck, just DISCIPLINE!
11. In fact, meditate while taking an ICE COLD SHOWER or ICE BATH every morning. That's what SUCCESSFUL people do... apparently. Lots of proven benefits, and definitely not a total pain in the arse to do.
12. BE WEALTHY! You'll find it much easier to be SUCCESSFUL if you're born into money and don't also have one or more actual jobs to do. All you have to do is not spunk away your entire inheritance and hey-presto, you're self-made! Congratulations on your SUCCESS!
And that's my top tips for being SUCCESSFUL IN 2023. Don't concern yourself with having a social life, spending time with your actual family, having any fun, or, you know, enjoying things...
You can achieve an ill-defined, societally-prescribed version of SUCCESS by forfeiting your right to any pleasure whatsoever and doing all of this stuff whilst also somehow working a a full time, precariously-contracted job.

Happy New Year!
#HappyNewYear!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Pete Olusoga

Dr Pete Olusoga Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PeteOlusoga

Jul 29
Unconscious bias (which is rubbish anyway) isn't unconscious if you know about it. So here goes... yet again.

I've only watched about half an hour of gymnastics so far, but I've clocked "elegant, graceful, elegant and smooth, full of grace, etc." for white gymnasts

and...
"So powerful, such power, look at the speed, such strength," etc, when describing athletes of colour, specifically, Simone Biles.

Now, she is strong, and she is powerful, and these are good things, right?

Right!
But we can do better than this.

Research shows that disparity on commentary exists in multiple sports, football, American football, I don't know if there's any research but it's fucking obvious if you watch even just 10 minutes of gymnastics...
Read 8 tweets
Mar 29
WOKE, SNOWFLAKE, UNIVERSITY LECTURER SLAMS “RACIST” BOARD GAME! 🧵 Image
Not really, I just wanted to get your attention, and to pre-empt the Daily Mail Headline.

Beanbag’s been off school with chicken pox for the last week, so the other day I went to the very back of the cupboard under the stairs to dig out some old board games.
🎶“Be a winner at the game of life"🎶
🎶“Get a job… make money, maybe."🎶
🎶“Get married… have a baby!"🎶
🎶“Take a chance, find romance, all you dreams will come true…"🎶
🎶“Be a winner at the gaaaaame of life."🎶 Image
Read 31 tweets
Mar 24
This week, Tory Minister for Work & Pensions, Mel Stride, decided to offer up his considerable expertise on mental health… wait... hold on... nope, sorry... his absolutely not any expertise whatsoever on mental health...

Settle in folks. A thread. 🧵
uk.news.yahoo.com/concern-mental…
Stride said: “While I’m grateful for today’s much more open approach to mental health, there is a danger that this has gone too far...
“There is a real risk now that we are labelling the normal ups and downs of human life as medical conditions which then actually serve to hold people back and, ultimately, drive up the benefit bill…"
Read 46 tweets
Oct 2, 2023
I make no apologies for retweeting this shit over the weekend. Ignorance is not always bliss. Some still choose to believe that racism doesn't exist, or that it's not that bad. Some are "shocked" by this, or think that these are bots not worth engaging with.

1/
But these are real people. Admittedly people with literal shit for brains, but still real people with real jobs.

You probably walk past them on a daily basis, maybe interact with them, maybe work with them.

They won't show their racism to you, but they're there.

2/
They're in schools, shops, offices, the police (obviously), hospitals... Going about their lives all while harbouring hate based on utter nonsense.

3/
Read 10 tweets
Jul 30, 2023
I try to be optimistic. Honestly.

But, for the love of Tina Arena, everything is awful, isn't it? And while I know it might seem simplistic, naive even, there's got to be a better way of doing just about everything. 🧵
Like, for example... instead of allowing Water and Sewerage companies to continue making massive profits while excessively dumping untreated sewage into our rivers and waterways, we could... I don't know, NOT allow them to do that?
bbc.co.uk/news/science-e…
Instead of allowing energy companies to generate profits near £1bn and CEOs to walk away with millions in bonuses, while people choose between heat and food, and debt collectors break into homes to install pre-pay meters, we could... NOT do that?
theguardian.com/business/2023/…
Read 15 tweets
May 12, 2023
Dear Students,

I just asked ChatGPT to write me a 1500 word literature review on a topic.

I asked it to add citations (cos there weren't any)

I then asked it to write a reference list.

I then checked the references.

They were all totally fake.

LESSON: ChatGPT is shit.
Now, obviously it isn't shit.

But we do need to have genuine conversations about how it can best be used to support students work.

I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but wholesale panic in HE about AI generated essays isn't' the answer.
After all, student use AI extensively to improve their work already. And so do we. Even in this app, your typos will be flagged up so you correct them. Word does the same. Grammarly helps students improve their writing.

These things are good things.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(