Gator | Dentist Profile picture
Jan 6, 2023 10 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Nano Hydroxyapatite

Discovered by NASA and dubbed the "magic bullet" for your teeth (by me, the cavity crusher)

Maybe you've seen it mentioned, or maybe it's the first time you're hearing about it.
The mouth is a busy place, there's a lot of action in there.

We are always in a state of REmineralizing or DEmineralizing our teeth.

If you couldn't put it together, we want to maximize remineralization (adding minerals) to avoid permanent damage and cavities.
Before we talk about how to use products to aid in remineralizing teeth, we must understand what a tooth is made of

A tooth has an outer hard shell of enamel made up of calcium rods in the form of hydroxyapatite.

The inner shell (dentin) is softer due to more water and collagen
Our diet, habits and microbiome dictate how acidic or basic the environment is.

The more acidic, the more hydroxyapatite we lose and the weaker the tooth becomes.

Let this progress for long enough and you find yourself with a big treatment plan from your dentist $$$
Nanohydroxyapatite was discovered by NASA because astronauts in space were losing minerals in their teeth and bones due to lack of gravity.

In the late 70's, a Japanese dental company took interest in it and bought the rights from NASA to make a toothpaste.
Nano HA is synthetically made, and controversial to some (The EU is in the process of fully banning all nanoparticles).

Hydroxyapatite is found in teeth, so that means nano-hydrodyapatite is an equivalent and penetrable material. It's a tiny and free source of calcium.
You may remember me saying that nanohydroxyapatite is great for use after whitening your teeth to prevent and resolve sensitivity.
It wouldn't be a nanohydroxyapatite thread without mentioning fluoride.

This study shows that 10% NHA is just as effective as 500ppm fluoride toothpaste, yet has none of the controversy (unless you're the EU).

nature.com/articles/s4140…
Over the last 50 years, the research shows again and again that hydroxyapatite is a biomimetic and nontoxic material with a wide range of use for your teeth aiding in:

Remineralization of enamel
Eliminating sensitive teeth
Bind to bone for augmentation
Superior cement for crowns
Many dentists and brands are starting to ride the nanohydroxyapatite wave.

Expect to see more and more products touting it as revolutionary.

Then you can tell your crazy aunt at thanksgiving "I know all about that, an anonymous cartoon gator dentist told me"

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gator | Dentist

Gator | Dentist Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BowTiedGatorDDS

Jun 13, 2023
Someone replied/QT you with the infamous braindead meme?

If you've been hit with this meme more than once, there is a chance you've been acting pretty low IQ.

Don't fret though, we can fix you (maybe). 👇

HOW NOT TO BE BRAINDEAD ON TWITTER 🧵 Image
RULE #1: Deceptively simple, rarely followed: read the post before commenting.

See a thread that interests you? Read the whole thing. Have a question? Read the comments.

96% chance your question has been answered 12 times.
RULE #2: Don't make every conversation about you.

See someone talking about deadlift form and you don't lift? Put your phone down bc this isn't for you, champ.

If you buy clothes from the Gap, it doesn't mean you walk into Victoria's Secret and scream "WHERE ARE MY SOCKS?"
Read 7 tweets
May 18, 2023
Everyone loves an ancient herb, especially one like Black Seed Oil. Meet Nigella Sativa, a potent plant that's as old as time, but this time in the context of your oral health.

(Check out @Grimhood for all other things BSO related) Image
There are many on Twitter who talk at length about Nigella Sativa, but a brief intro:

Inside we find Thymoquinone. It's got antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a strong contender against inflammation and oxidative stress, the usual suspects in gum disease. Image
But wait, theres more. It also takes on oral pathogens, helping to keep our oral microbiome balanced. A healthy oral microbiome is a crucial aspect to oral health, and thymoquinone is a great weapon in the arsenal. Image
Read 6 tweets
May 17, 2023
Receding Gums probably account for 75% of the questions I get in replies or DM's, yet the only guidance they receive from their dentist is "get the graft surgery"

Maybe you need the surgery, but what if you don't?

Join me as we walk through the valley of recession together👇
Gum recession sucks.

It hurts.

It looks bad.

It happens quickly.

Before we can consider how to fix it, we need to define where it comes from. Image
Gum recession is not a single-variable issue. There are many factors that contribute to your gums seemingly melting away from your teeth.

Possible Causes:

Brushing too hard
Hard Bristled Toothbrush
Gum Disease
Misaligned Bite
Frenulum Pull
Smoking
Genetics (kinda)
Read 10 tweets
Apr 26, 2023
Cold sore got you down?

Not you, of course. Your friend. Statistically 70% of the population has some form of herpes, but definitely not you.

This thread is for your friend 😉 Image
The herpes virus (HSV-1) is a sneaky little bitch. It hides out in your trigeminal nerve, waiting to strike in your weakest moment. It never fully goes away, only ebbs and flows Image
When herpes decides to rear its ugly head, it puts on a show.

The prodromal stage comes first. Tingling tells you it’s about to go down.

Then it blisters up, full of eager virus ready to infect its next victim.

Then it bursts, starts to crust over and this is when it’s ugly Image
Read 9 tweets
Apr 25, 2023
I’ve been spending some time trying to understand design from a higher level rather than learning specific software

Recently down a Dieter Rams rabbit hole, and early designs from Braun

I’m obviously drawn to the oral care products but the whole brand is very interesting to me Image
I’m not an expert by any means so take my observations with a grain of salt but this product was designed 40 years ago and is almost indistinguishable from waterpicks today. If anything, this is even an upgrade in some respects. Image
I find it fascinating when a brand can create a design that is aesthetic, unique, timeless, and somehow invisible all at the same time. Image
Read 4 tweets
Feb 14, 2023
Zyn has taken the world by storm as a safe way to get your nicotine fix.

We may not have flying cars but we have modern tobacco-free nicotine. Zyn has become a meme and possibly responsible for a portion of the GDP due to reported increased productivity output.

Is it healther?
Before I dive into this let me clarify:

I am not naive to the benefits of nicotine. There are plenty of articles that demonstrate nicotine is not all bad, and has neuroprotective effects.
You may disagree with the following statement but chewing tobacco is one of the most predictable risk factors for oral cancer.

You can witness the changes of the oral soft tissue in real time between exams. Just because you have an uncle that never got cancer doesn't change it.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(