Dan Neidle Profile picture
Jan 22, 2023 12 tweets 3 min read Read on X
#Zahawi update: his lawyers have written to me, denying that HMRC investigated him under COP 9, the procedure for investigating fraud. Since they are in such a helpful mood, I'm optimistic they'll answer some further questions. Full correspondence below:
My email:
The Osborne Clarke reply:
And my response:
I have updated my list of Zahawi questions to reflect the COP 9 answer.
Obvious addition: anyone thinking of sending abusive messages to Ashley should ask themselves some pretty fundamental questions.
I publish Ashley’s name because I believe lawyers engaging in SLAPP should be accountable, to the public and to their other clients.
A response from Zahawi's lawyer:
The last time Ashley suggested I contact Zahawi's press officer, it did not go well:
But I am hopeful this time is different, so:
You can bookmark this thread to catch the reply.

But I probably wouldn't bother.
I'm delighted to say I received a response to my questions. The response says that Mr Zahawi is not going to answer any questions:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dan Neidle

Dan Neidle Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DanNeidle

May 28
Some free legal advice for @TiceRichard. Here is a complete list of the ways a court can overturn tax legislation telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/…
1. EU law challenges
That’s it. There’s no other way to overturn primary tax legislation.

And when I last checked, EU law challenges weren’t a thing anymore.
Read 9 tweets
May 27
Labour and the Tories have both said they can raise £6bn from cracking down on tax avoidance and evasion. How plausible is this? Image
Our analysis is here: with footnotes and links to sources.

Quick summary thread:taxpolicy.org.uk/2024/05/27/is_…
James Cleverly said yesterday that the Conservatives would raise £6bn by clamping down on tax avoidance, £1bn of which will fund their national service proposal
Read 25 tweets
May 23
Our new report: a KC sold a hopeless tax avoidance scheme to vulnerable taxpayers... without telling them that he controlled the company that would profit from the scheme.
The full report is here - thread follows below. taxpolicy.org.uk/2024/05/23/the…
We've previously reported on the "loan schemes" sold to taxpayers in the 2010s. The schemes replaced normal taxable income with "loans" from offshore trusts, supposedly avoiding tax on wage income.
Read 54 tweets
May 16
HMRC just sent this company a penalty - for £0.01.

Over-automation of penalties is a problem. In this case it just wasted postage. But in other cases it's hurting some of the poorest people in the UK.

THREAD Image
Our research showed that, over three years, 420,000 late filing penalties were issued to people too poor to pay tax

Despite earning so little, they for some reason received a self assessment form, didn't return it on time, and so got a £100 penalty. taxpolicy.org.uk/penalties2023/
Until 2011, penalties were capped at the tax owed. So if you were earning £5k and hit with a penalty, it would be cancelled once you eventually filed.
Read 9 tweets
May 10
Nadhim Zahawi’s SLAPP has now resulted in disciplinary action for his lawyer.

A thread on why it happened, and what it means - for the lawyer, for SLAPPS, and for Zahawi himself. Image
Osborne Clarke sent me an email threatening me with a libel action in July 2022 for saying their client, Nadhim Zahawi, had lied (spoiler: he had).

The email included this: Image
And this: Image
Read 26 tweets
May 9
Private schools are promoting advance fee payment as a way to avoid VAT on school fees under a future Labour government.

We're concerned that schools and parents are taking a risk they don't understand, and it could all become a big mess. Thread: Image
We published a report in January concluding that most of the ways schools and parents could try to avoid VAT would not work. The one exception was paying fees in advance.
We said that paying several years' fees in advance would in principle avoid any later VAT change, because VAT would be charged at the point an early payment is made.

We added that we doubted many people would want to do this - but it turns out we were wrong.
Read 53 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(