Dan Neidle Profile picture
Jan 22, 2023 12 tweets 3 min read Read on X
#Zahawi update: his lawyers have written to me, denying that HMRC investigated him under COP 9, the procedure for investigating fraud. Since they are in such a helpful mood, I'm optimistic they'll answer some further questions. Full correspondence below:
My email:
The Osborne Clarke reply:
And my response:
I have updated my list of Zahawi questions to reflect the COP 9 answer.
Obvious addition: anyone thinking of sending abusive messages to Ashley should ask themselves some pretty fundamental questions.
I publish Ashley’s name because I believe lawyers engaging in SLAPP should be accountable, to the public and to their other clients.
A response from Zahawi's lawyer:
The last time Ashley suggested I contact Zahawi's press officer, it did not go well:
But I am hopeful this time is different, so:
You can bookmark this thread to catch the reply.

But I probably wouldn't bother.
I'm delighted to say I received a response to my questions. The response says that Mr Zahawi is not going to answer any questions:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dan Neidle

Dan Neidle Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DanNeidle

Jul 5
Before we bask too luxuriously in the majesty of democracy, here's new evidence (thanks to @wethinkpolling) that half the public doesn't understand income tax.
Half of voters believe that, once you hit the higher rate threshold, the 40% higher rate applies to all your earnings. Our report, with full polling data is here. taxpolicy.org.uk/2024/07/05/hal…
Thread:
Read 45 tweets
Jul 4
Here's my dozen tax reform ideas for the new Chancellor:
The full article is here:

thread belowtaxpolicy.org.uk/2024/07/04/a-t…
1. HMRC reform
Read 100 tweets
Jul 3
Last month we reported that HMRC errors had let Paul Baxendale-Walker, the UK's most notorious tax avoidance promoter, escape a £14m penalty in 2023.

It gets worse. A few months later, HMRC issued a "stop notice" to a PBW company, without noticing that it had been struck-off.
Our report is here:

Thread follows below.taxpolicy.org.uk/2024/07/03/ano…
Paul Baxendale-Walker is the former barrister and solicitor who helped create the "loan schemes" that cost the country £billions and caused misery for tens of thousands of people.
Read 47 tweets
Jul 2
HMRC did it again. Missed a deadline on an important avoidance case. The result: HMRC's entire case struck out.

Got to wonder if something is seriously wrong. Image
This time the deadline wasn't in the slightest bit complicated. The judge set the deadline in writing, and it was an "unless order", i.e. if you fail to comply, you get struck out Image
HMRC applied for, and was granted, an extension til 17 June: Image
Read 18 tweets
Jul 1
Opinion polls often show lots of people personally willing to pay more tax. But they never ask the obvious follow-up question: how much more tax?

We did. It wasn't pretty.
Full findings, and complete polling data, is here.

Thread below.taxpolicy.org.uk/2024/03/17/tax…
We polled people who said they were personally willing to pay more tax, and asked them how much.

Very few people were willing to pay more than £100. 1/3 weren't willing to pay more than £10. Image
Read 20 tweets
Jun 28
The Telegraph says Lord Pannick thinks the ECHR stops Labour putting VAT on private school fees.

He's wrong, and I think almost every tax lawyer will agree with me.

Thread: Image
The most important point is a practical one: ECHR challenges can override acts of Ministers/public officials, but can't override Acts of Parliament.
If you persuade a UK court or Strasbourg that a law contravenes the ECHR, then the court asks Parliament to change the law.

What happens next is politics, not law.
Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(