JP Lindsley | Journalist Profile picture
Jan 24, 2023 7 tweets 5 min read Read on X
War Day 335: Fighting tyranny, with songs, jokes, and tanks… my report from #Ukraine given every weekday since February on Chicago’s @WGNRadio … 🧵
#SuzanneVega made a haunting song about #Mariupol. Some people scoff at celebrity tributes to Ukraine but here is why it matters to Ukrainians:
What is going on in #Zaporizhzhia? … especially in #Hulyaipole (a village with a lovely name unless you mispronounce it, in which case it sounds like a common Ukrainian word for Putin these days)
Echoing @BorisJohnson : if you want victory for freedom, if you want to reduce the cost of Russia’s war, send weapons (not just old shit) now, and Ukrainians will get it done
About Nestor #Makhno and Ukraine’s gentle #anarchy: independent of government, dependent on the people around you. Like the American dream described by #tocqueville
@WGNRadio ‘s Bob Sirott on his father’s Ukrainian roots…
And some Odesa humor: what do you do when there is no electricity, no light? “Rotate the planet manually” 🤣💀

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with JP Lindsley | Journalist

JP Lindsley | Journalist Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JPLindsley

Jun 4
Today President Biden said, naw, Ukraine doesn’t really need to be in Nato. But in a recent conversation with the @CurtainSilicon podcast, Garry Kasparov, @Kasparov63, elite world chess grandmaster, said Ukraine is actually doing what Nato was designed to: protect free Europe from Russian authoritarianism.

Kasparov is one of the few Russian dissidents who believes in victory for Ukraine, so let's take a look at his arguments. In the last post of the thread, you can find a 90-second reel of his Silicon Curtain talk. 1/9:Image
First, Kasparov acknowledges that sometimes Europeans have grown frustrated with Ukrainians, especially, say, Polish farmers, who for many months blocked Ukrainian grain trucks.

“I just want to remind you,” Kasparov says to those protestors, “that you had two choices: Ukrainian trucks with this grain that you hate or Russian tanks on your border. … [Ukrainians] saved your asses.”Image
Kasparov then expands upon this idea: “Ukraine is the only European nation that fights for the very purpose for which Nato was built.” What is that purpose?Image
Read 10 tweets
May 28
Is Washington afraid of free people being armed?

Since 1991, both Republicans and Democrats have worked either to keep Ukraine in Moscow's grip or, barring that, to de-arm the Ukrainians.

DC politicians wave the Ukrainian flags. But is this to cover up their true intentions?

full video linked in comments, followed by a step by step text explanation! I welcome corrections and further insights. 1/18
Here's a History of Washington Elites United Against Free Ukraine | 2 of 18

In 1991, George H.W. Bush traveled to Kyiv and urged Ukrainians to stick with Moscow. You can have "freedom without independence", he said. Butwith the USSR collapsing at last Ukrainians had their chance after centuries of Moscow oppression. Hell, no they weren't going to stick with the Kremlin. They ignored President Bush the First, and also Condi Rice who wrote much of the infamous "Chicken Kyiv" speech, so named for its cowardly nature, with a play on the famous Kyiv cuisine. Ukrainians voted for independence. 3/18
Read 18 tweets
Jan 1
I've been through some strange events in my life. There's the weird but funny stuff, like a weekend spent at Chuck Norris's house with no food. There's my car-chase escape from NewsCorp. There's three years working for an eccentric billionaire, or the one year traveling America in the former Allman Brothers tour bus as manager of a Irish-Ukrainian rock band.

But these past two years, I've been living in war, here in Ukraine, a country I first appreciated during the pandemic. Thanks to @WGNRadio for giving me 10 minutes every single weekday to report from Ukraine. Thanks to our donors for helping us bring drones, truckers, and more to the front. Thanks to @pravda_eng for our new podcast Land of the Free.

It's been a helluva week with brutal Russian attacks from Kharkiv--destroying among other things my regular coffeeshop--to Lviv, where drones and rockets fell around days ago. But even then the Ukrainians keep signing the songs of this Christmas season. Together everyone here gives each other strength.

Here's a brief look at some moments from the past two years, because years don't matter for me now. It's still February 24.

Joe Lindsley
Ukrainian Freedom NewsImage
In June, the Russians destroyed the Nova Kakhova dam on the Dnipro River, killing many, perhaps stalling Ukraine's counteroffensive, and destroying the environment for decades. Many in the region still do not have running water.

These photos are from Nikopol, a city on the Kakhovka resovoir. I first visited in July 2022. We could see the russian occupants across the water, where they were ensconced in the largest nuclear plant in Europe. With brave volunteers including an American veteran chef and musicians from Ohio, we held a festival for local volunteers, soldiers, children, dancing and singing in the face of the Russians.

Weeks later the Russians began a nightly and daily bombardment of Nikopol that has continued for 18 months. And when the Russians destroyed the dam, most of that water you see behind us vanished, flooding villages and farms.Image
With @pravda_eng , we launched a podcast, LAND OF THE FREE, stories of life and liberty in a time of war, with guests including the chief rabbi of Ukraine, @RabbiUkraine , a member of parliament @mezentseva_dep , and a former European kickboxing champ.

Popular American podcasts about excellence, ice baths, and current affairs completely ignore the brilliance they could find in Ukraine right now. We begin to remedy that problem with this show--and I hope it inspires producers at @ShawnRyanShow @joerogan @benshapiro to start inviting at least a few Ukrainian guests.Image
Read 11 tweets
Jan 24, 2023
Although the political class might wear the Ukraine colours, they do not necessarily want Ukraine to win swiftly. Consider the impasse over tanks, with both Berlin and Washington seemingly reluctant to send offensive weapons. ...
I encourage the #Davos Blob-sceptics to look more closely at Ukraine. Remember: In 2014, Ukraine’s Revolution of Dignity did something more extraordinary than the Ottawa Truckers or the Dutch farmers. ...
... The people, of all ages and walks of life, stood in the freezing weather until the corrupt pro-Putin government, with ties both to the Trump and Biden worlds, fled the country and put the people in charge ...
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(