Brad Setser Profile picture
Jan 27, 2023 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
It is a bit hard to believe that any story involving China has been underreported, given China's large role in the global public debate.

But China's transformation into a major auto exporter has been wildly underreported.

(see the hockey stick in exports of finished cars)

1/
China has gone from a large net importer of finished (mostly from the EU, the Japanese firms never thought they could sell in China w/o producing in China) to a net exporter remarkably quickly ...

(China has been a net exporter of auto parts for some time)

2/
The US has long been a net importer of autos (mostly from Japan and Korea, but to a degree from Europe too).

And the EU has long been a net exporter of autos.

China has suddenly become a major global competitor

3/
I suspect that you need a Ph.D in political science -- or perhaps psychology and trade law :) -- to understand why the Commission's main response to a surge in Chinese competition (primarily in EVs) has been to threaten to challenge the US in the WTO ...

4/
I do understand that the IRA discriminates against European EV exports to the US (there aren't very many yet & the EU EV market is also undersupplied & will absorb any lost sales)

But the big swing in global demand for EU autos right now is coming from China, not the US.

5/5
this thread was inspired both by this Bloomberg story, and the EU's current freakout over the IRA (& its long silence over China's obviously discriminatory policies in the EV sector, which have had a much bigger impact on EU auto exports and employment)

bloomberg.com/news/articles/…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Brad Setser

Brad Setser Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Brad_Setser

Jul 22
In 2023, the eight largest US pharmaceutical companies
collectively did not pay ANY US corporate income tax.

Time for a real "America first" corporate income tax reform, one where big American companies actually pay a bit of income tax in the US

1/ Image
Why the big "zero" when the US income tax paid by "Big Pharma" is summed up?

Simple. Despite charging high prices in the US and generating the bulk of their revenue in the US, Big Pharma claims (in their corporate disclosure) to be losing money in the US

2/ Image
They do report making money of course -- they just report that all their earnings on their operations abroad.

It is a tax game of course, but one with real consequence

3/

cdn.cfr.org/sites/default/…
Read 5 tweets
Jul 22
How much combined corporate income tax do the top 8 US pharmaceutical companies (by revenue) pay in the United States?

In 2023, the correct answer is zero.

A new blog

1/

cfr.org/blog/american-…
American pharmaceutical companies don't pay anything like 21% (or even 15%) in corporate income tax -- and they certainly don't pay anything like that to the US Treasury.

tax paid to the US Treasury in 2023 was a bit lower than the norm. But only a bit!

2/ Image
Why don't US pharmaceutical companies pay US tax?

Well, the obvious reason is that they report losing money on their US operations (despite high US drug prices) and report making all their money abroad

3/ Image
Read 8 tweets
Jul 22
The end of Milei's honeymoon with the (international bond market) over concerns that Milei and Caputo want to use scarce fx to support the peso is useful reminder to cough, the IMF, that foreign debts are paid out of foreign exchange not dollar GDP

1/ Image
Milei wants to use Argentina's foreign exchange reserves to "to buy pesos on the parallel market" and prop up the peso. Dollar GDP would increase; if you have fiscal model of payments, Argentina's capacity to pay dollar debt goes up ...

2/
The market tho -- at least the market for Argentina (it is less clear in the restructuring cases) -- is worried that using sscarce fx to prop up the peso means less fx to clear Argentina's massive fx payments arrears & to pay external debt

3/

ft.com/content/fd513c…
Read 7 tweets
Jul 17
Lots of talk about the dollar's role as a reserve currency.

Less talk about the United States role as the main (net) borrower in the global economy -- and the interest the US has to pay as a result.

thread

1/ Image
US (net) external debt is around 45% of GDP (down a bit from its peak b/c of fast GDP growth and the mark to market losses of foreign bond holders)

2/ Image
But just taking current interest rates times net debt doesn't produce a good estimate of net interest payments (say 4% *45% = 1.8 pp of GDP ... ), the actual total is more modest ...

3/
Read 11 tweets
Jul 16
My subtle reframing of the reserve currency debate, in the WSJ --

1/ Image
I may be a bit biased, but I think this is a pretty good chart -- the stock of US Treasuries held by private US investors is still pretty small

* custodial holdings in Belgium and Luxembourg blur the line between foreign private and foreign official

2/ Image
A chart that I use to push back against those who claim that the US borrows at a low cost because of the dollar's position as "the" reserve currency and the dominant role of the Treasury market. The US actually pays the highest yield of the major reserve currencies!

3/ Image
Read 6 tweets
Jul 16
The IMF is totally burying the real lead here with the "excluding China" bit --

The most interesting bit of the External Sector Report is the (not discussed) chart on Chinese gross outflows

1/
It isn't exactly a secret that I think the IMF has made an error by deprioritizing balance of payments based analytic tools and concepts in a range of contexts, including in its analysis of China. Let me see if I can explain why ...

2/
Lets zoom in on the chart on gross outflows of China, and focus on the red bar (other, or bank outflows). The positive numbers in 20 and 21 (big outflows from China relative to now) stand out I think

3/ Image
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(