Gully Foyle #UKTrade Profile picture
Feb 17, 2023 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
🇪🇺 European Front Pages 17/02/23

Happy Friday!

Was going to post a few of these late last night, but well Whiskey got in the way.

So you don't get #TomorrowsPapersToday, and instead get #TodaysPapersToday

Here's a selection of the front page stories across the EU.

1/?
GR 🇬🇷 - Kathimerini

LABOR DAY: The Greek Labor Ministry is expanding its Digital Labour Card scheme to two new sectors, which tracks the clocking in and out times of all employees in companies with a 250+ headcount.

Yes, the govt are tracking their working hours.

2/?
ES 🇪🇸 - La Razón

EQUALITY?: New and controversial amendments to abortion and trans laws in Spain have been approved by Congress, despite warnings from judges that they may have unintended and unwanted impacts.

The article looks to what happened in Scotland as a case study.

3/?
FR 🇫🇷 - Le Figaro

ASSISTED SUICIDE: 13 organisations, representing over 800,000 care givers and health workers across France, have signed a letter to the govt stating that their proposals of legalizing assisted suicide are incompatible with their duty of care.

4/?
DE 🇩🇪 - Rheinische Post

RELIEF DELAYED: Relief payments to energy customers, to help with the high energy prices, are to be further delayed due to "software issues".

Payments were already being backdated in March to cover Jan and Feb, adding further pressure on consumers.

5/?
FR 🇫🇷 - Le Parisien

NUCLEAR WORRIES: To meet the promises made by the Macron govt, an additional 80,000 people will need to be hired in the next 10 years to build next gen nuclear reactors.

All in the climate of dismal financials and abysmal debt published by EDF today.

6/?

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gully Foyle #UKTrade

Gully Foyle #UKTrade Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TerraOrBust

May 21
🚨FIFTY BREXIT BENEFITS - MEGATHREAD🚨

I have collated 50 tangible Brexit benefits, fully evidenced and demonstrably true.

Some may not like that they exist - but that doesn't change the fact that they do.

👇Scroll down to see them in this megathread 👇

#BrexitBenefits2024Image
[ 1 ]

As one of the larger economies of the EU, the UK was a net contributor to the EU budget - which means that it paid in more each year than it received in return.

The UK was responsible for 12.5% of the annual core budget of the EU, which in 2024 was €189 Billion - which would in turn have resulted in a gross contribution from the UK of around €24 Billion, were it still to be a member.

This would have meant a likely net contribution of around €14-16 Billion in 2024 - money that can now be spent in the UK instead.

Link: EU Annual Budget 2024 - consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/eu…Image
[ 2 ]

As an EU member state within the Customs Union, 75% of all customs revenue (it was 80% at the time the UK voted to leave) goes into the budget of the EU.

Now outside of the EU, the UK HMRC receives 100% of that revenue, to spend on public services - currently estimated at around £2-3 Billion extra a year.

Link: EU "Own Resources" Explanation -
Link: HMRC Customs Duties Data - commission.europa.eu/strategy-and-p…
statista.com/statistics/284…Image
Read 54 tweets
Oct 11, 2023
TANGIBLE BREXIT BENEFITS: 18 MONTHS LATER 🧵

In March 2022, I was asked to provide 10 "Tangible Benefits" of leaving the EU. So over the course of a lunch break I wrote a list of 10 and sent it over.

Since then it has been shared thousands of times, and even made the press. Image
Since that time in March 2022, as more benefits came to fruition, I have done the research - and those where I was able to confidently demonstrate and verify a true Brexit benefit as existing, I added to the list.

Today I’m adding the 30th item onto the list. Triple the original challenge.

So to celebrate the task having been delivered many times over, and to reflect that time has passed and some items in the list needed updating as to current status, I have decided to rewrite the full 30 items in a new post - so please, sit back and enjoy.

Also worth noting that I have been asked many times to back up these claims, and many times I have provided the evidence – but this time through I will include the source material within the tweets, so you can see it for yourself.

Link: The original thread -
Link: The “One Year Later” thread -
Link: The Daily Express article:
Before I proceed to the list itself.

This is not intended to be an exhaustive list - merely one which I can say that I have fully researched and can defend as being truly a benefit of leaving the EU.

That is not to say that disbenefits do not exist - merely that benefits *definitely* do.

Oh and credit where it is due to all of you who have helped over the last few years in cultivating this list, and thanks to for the one or two AI images used in this opening.

Thanks! Onto the list!
Read 34 tweets
Sep 11, 2023
🇬🇧 UK Trade Deals: Negotiation Status Update

With the CPTPP accession now signed and awaiting ratification, and the India FTA wrapping up the final tough nuts to crack, what else is going on with UK international trade?

Plenty!

Here's a quick rundown 🧵

1/? Image
The negotiations that are known by me to be in flight right now:

CPTPP Accession (Ratification)
Canada FTA Upgrade
GCC FTA
Greenland FTA
India FTA
Israel FTA Upgrade
Maldives FTA
Mexico FTA Upgrade
Switzerland FTA Upgrade
Switzerland Fin Svs Agmt
USA State Specific MoUs

2/? Image
UK 🇬🇧 -🌏🌎 CPTPP Accession

✅Agreement in Principle: 31 Mar 2023
✅Signed Accession Protocol: 16 Jul 2023

📅 UK Ratification: 2024
📅 CPTPP11 Ratification: 2024
📅 In Place: October 2024

3/? Image
Read 8 tweets
May 5, 2023
🚨NEW

This graph has really wound me up today. Not because it was saying something surprising - I don't think anyone would be surprised that the age category in question is more supportive of EU membership.

The reason that it has wound me up, is because it is a LIE.

1/12
There were some initial obvious questions from the presentation of the data:

- Where are the "don't know / undecided"
- What does "UK based" mean
- What was the actual question asked

I put some of these questions out when the image first started to be circulated.

2/12
Then ITV News posted an article about the "Youth Tracker" and included all of the graphs produced so far - and this graph had a subtle difference.

The one on the tweet and used on the show: 1023 participants
The one in the article: 556 participants

So which was it?

3/12 Image
Read 14 tweets
Apr 25, 2023
Jacob Rees Mogg vs Marina Purkiss: The Verdict

Earlier this evening on GB News, the outspoken political commentator Marina Purkiss appeared on the Jacob Rees Mogg programme "State of the Nation" to debate the topic of the so-called "culture war".

1/? Image
People can of course make their own minds up as to the overall quality of the debate, and I would recommend if you are genuinely interested, in actually watching it for yourself.

In the 9 minute segment, they each made 5 statements as fact - but are they actually fact?

2/?
MP Statements:

1. Children are getting a poorer education
2. UK has the highest energy bills on the planet
3. JRM voted to stop people protesting "if it was annoying"
4. Austria has one of the highest inflations in the world
5. Austria GDP is billions, UK is trillions

3/?
Read 18 tweets
Apr 3, 2023
🇪🇺 European Front Pages, 03/04/2023

Apologies for the delays, I haven't had chance to post one of these frontpage rundowns for a few days.

Lets have a look and see what stories were making the front pages of newspapers across Europe this morning.

1/?
BE 🇧🇪 - Le Soir

NUCLEA-YAH: According to data gathered by Le Soir - their "Great Barometer" - the Belgian people are not only in favour of extending the life of existing Nuclear power stations, but also want to build new ones as well.

2/?
FR 🇫🇷 - Le Monde

INDUSTRIAL STRATEGY?: To counter the rise of China, Joe Biden and the USA is promoting a proactive policy. But what is the strategy for the European Union?

3/?
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(