I am late to this, but the supposedly merely-decorative ring of swastikas adorning the bases of some antique lamp posts in Chris Burden's #UrbanLight at @LACMA may not have been neutral symbols & certainly don't now offer neutral, historical visual enrichment as the museum and
and @CityOfGlendale assert: latimes.com/socal/glendale… One argument for retaining the swastikas is that they were applied way before the Hitler era. This is false. hragvartanian.com/2008/02/09/gle… Image
A quick check of @smithsonian reveals that the swastika became a Nazi symbol––an explicitly means an Aryan-supremacist antisemitic symbol––in 1920 before the posts were installed: Image
LA and Glendale have a pro-Nazi, racist past that btw isn't far into the past and which includes Nazi and KKK activity: butchershop-nobonesaboutit.com/is-glendale-st… Image
Also interesting is that lamp posts without swastikas were available and installed just outside of Glendale: crescentavalleyweekly.com/viewpoints/05/… Image
Glendale high & community college had KKK clubs , was a racist, sundown town and as late as 60's had Klansmen in parades. Also had a park devoted to Hindenberg: latimes.com/socal/glendale… ImageImageImage
Glendale was a hub for LA's pro-Nazi activity: glendalereckoning.org/NazisinGlendal… Image
For the definitive history of LA's robust pro-Hitler activity and death-plots, read the HITLER IN LOS ANGELES by Steven J. Ross: pulitzer.org/finalists/stev… Image
unroll

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with JO PERRY #FreeTheHostages🇺🇦 #WomenLifeFreedom

JO PERRY #FreeTheHostages🇺🇦 #WomenLifeFreedom Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JoPerryAuthor

Jul 26, 2022
When the Tiverton, Rhode Island owners of the Atlantic Sports Bar & Restaurant posted an it's-as-hot-as-an-oven-out-and-I-should-know Anne Frank meme, they thought it was funny. Maybe because the particular realness of the girl had been commodified into a meme already:
Frank is the go-to smiling, lovely, nonthreatening Holocaust Icon reliably delivering a simple, feel-good message about our love and goodness, an antidote to those other images and facts and records that are a total disquieting bummer. Anne--she belongs to us so we can call her
we can call her "Anne" is the bright, talented, upbeat not too Jewish EveryGirl embodying who we all are we deep inside and who existed make us feel good about ourselves: the Anne Frank industry is about us, not her. So if the heat was getting to the owners of the Atlantic
Read 7 tweets
Jul 25, 2022
I blissfully didn't know you, the @AnneFrankTrust existed until the recent kerfuffle. So I took a look around: On International Women's Day you chose the Virginia Woolf who said, "I do not like the Jewish voice; I do not like the Jewish laugh," and
who confessed,"Although I loathe anti-semitism, I do dislike Jews" to fete. How jarringly not OK it is to place Anne Frank's signature below Woolf's image as some sort of Jewish seal of approval or insinuation that Frank and Woolf share some sort of feminist-sisterly bond
when Woolf couldn't suppress her visceral disgust nor extinguish her impulse to degrade the group to which Anne Frank belonged and hatred of whom is why she died. Woolf described Sir Phillip Sasson as "an underbred Whitechapel Jew"--you know, "of inferior breeding, vulgar."
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(