Jerrica Profile picture
Feb 17, 2023 8 tweets 4 min read Read on X
seen a few people on here use this pic of Indigenous women at a film premiere to “prove” Black people, didn’t create the #SayHerName campaign

this pic is from 2021, of a short film about murdered and missing Indigenous women

#SayHerName is a 2014 campaign made by Black women
the #SayHerName hashtag and campaign was started in 2014 by the AAPF - African American Policy Forum - as a way to raise awareness about Black women that are killed by police

trying to deny Black women ownership of our labor and ideas to discredit us is anti-Black racist AF
denying Black women ownership of our labor, emotional, intellectual or otherwise, when it comes to #SayHerName is also a disgusting display of misogynoir

like, y’all feel so entitled to what Black women produce, that you get mad when we tell you “we made this for ourselves”
white women are constantly excluding Black women from feminism, and other liberatory work for women, but the moment we go do our own work, snd t our own spaces, y’all cry foul and say “we should get to use that too!”

i’m TIRED
and i have to point out how utterly gross it is to see folks, especially white gay and trans people, weaponize the oppression of Indigenous women in an attempt to silence Black women

do y’all know how racist that is to both Black and Indigenous women??
like, it’s wild how some white folks are so desperate to silence Black women, that you’ll treat the oppression of Indigenous women as a gotcha to say “see, this thing Black women made for themselves is actually for everyone!”
and sadly, this isn’t a new problem

every time Black women create something for ourselves, white people find some way to colonize it

Black women created a natural hair movement to pushback against societal discrimination of our hair, and white women inserted themselves
Black women carry on our ancestral tradition of protective hairstyles, like Bantu Knots, and white folks not only appropriate it, but erase the style’s African origins by renaming it “mini buns”

like, y’all won’t let Black women have shit, and i’m over it

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jerrica

Jerrica Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JinkiesJerrica

Jan 30
dear white trans people

do not compare a racist white trans girl having her receding hairline mocked to anti-Black racism

i’m a Black trans woman. i suffer racism, transphobia, misogyny, and misogynoir

separately and simultaneously

so unkindly stfu about Black people Image
and i’m not saying there are no overlaps between the experience of anti-Black racism and transphobia

both are manifestations of white supremacy, and both are formed around slurs, dehumanization, and the use of the law to oppress
but the scope and scale of anti-Black racism in the United States is objectively greater in longevity and cruelty than the history of transphobia in the United States

trans people were not systematically enslaved for 250 years

trans people did not endure Jim Crow
Read 7 tweets
Nov 3, 2023
passing shouldn’t be required to be gendered correctly, but ideals don’t negate pragmatism

Black people modulate ourselves to minimize racist encounters, but white people aren’t used to minority survival, which is why white trans women struggle like this
i speak in AAVE when around other Black folks, because that’s part of how i grew up

but i don’t speak AAVE at work, or in my college classes, because even though i shouldn’t have to code switch, i still do to survive, and avoid being stereotyped
so what does Black people code switching have to do with white trans women that don’t modulate their voices?

Black folk learned long ago that to avoid being stereotypes in public life, we had to adapt

but white trans women are unaccustomed to that kind of experience
Read 9 tweets
Jun 10, 2023
now i’m happy that Shazam: Fury of the Gods was a box office flop

Zachary Levi’s whole social media persona has been appearing to be this empathetic guy that wants to uplift everyone. turns out he’s just another anti-vaxx, anti-trans bigot
also, Chris Pratt is exactly who we all think he is. he attended a christian church that is anti-LGBT

Chris Pratt also made an unsubtle, ableist comment about his son with Anna Farris by praising his current wife for giving him a healthy daughter

he’s also misogynistic af
i’ve got time today

remember when Chris Pratt made a transphobic joke about Jennifer Lawrence, to her face? i remember
Read 4 tweets
Jun 8, 2023
random things about me

- i hold a Guinness World Record

- i once did a stage show for a major publisher at E3

- i’ve been a speaker and moderator for celebrity panels at SDCC and WonderCon

- i’ve starred in an commercial

- i’m friends with a Wonder Woman voice actress
- i used to be a tech journalist, and once got to do a phone interview with the CEO of Unity Technologies

- i used to be a pop culture reporter, and during my tenure in that role i got to interview the casts of Sleepy Hollow, Prison Break, Gotham, and the Ratchet and Clank movie
- i randomly met Sam Witwer in a hallway at SDCC as he sat on his skateboard waiting for a friend

- i’ve met Stan Lee three different times from 2004-2015, and got him to autograph my copy of Marvel Tales featuring Spider-Man
Read 8 tweets
May 11, 2023
an unspoken truth that needs to be shared is that many of the terf accounts that exist on social media are just cis men pretending to be cis women so they can accuse trans women of pretending to be women

here’s an infamous example from Reddit where the man got caught lying Image
Graham Linehan, a vocal supporter of anti-trans bigotry, specifically transmisogyny, infamously joined the queer women dating app, HER, and pretended to be a trans woman so he could take screenshots of real trans women’s profiles to target them for harassment ImageImage
generally speaking, there’s a huge problem with cis men pretending to be women on social media in order to harass trans women, or gain clout in women’s discourse

remember ElleOhHell? the man who admitted to using his ex-wife’s pics so he could pretend to be a woman on Twitter? ImageImage
Read 6 tweets
May 11, 2023
terfs generally ignore Black trans women because our existence contradicts their false narratives that frames all trans women as “privileged white men”

it’d be impossible for a cis white woman to justify calling a Black trans woman privileged without exposing herself as a racist
i point this out because terfs are strategic, by which i mean highly intentional in their bigotry

they aren’t misunderstood, or reacting emotionally: they are bigots by choice, and part of that choice is choosing lies they feel will win people over to their awful views
we all live in a cisgender, heterosexual, white supremacist patriarchy

that means that straight white men hold power as the oppressor class

so the easiest way to delegitimize the grievance of an oppressed group is to claim that said group actually has power
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(