Philippe Lemoine Profile picture
Feb 20, 2023 25 tweets 8 min read Read on X
I just published a post in which I discuss how the war in Ukraine could end. I review different possible scenarios and try to assess their likelihood. I conclude that it will be long as neither side can achieve a decisive breakthrough or back down soon 🧵 philippelemoine.substack.com/p/how-could-th…
Here is the table of contents.
I start by arguing, based on calculations I did previously, that neither side has enough manpower and equipment to achieve a decisive breakthrough this year. They don't have enough to achieve a sufficient relative advantage but also don't have enough in absolute terms.
In addition to a lack of armor, which the Western deliveries to Ukraine won't suffice to solve, both sides are going to have a serious problem with ammunition and this will limit their ability to successfully conduct large-scale offensives.
According to press reports, US officials are aware of the problem, but they think NATO can help Ukraine overcome it by turning its army into a force that fights more like the US and relies more on combined arms tactics, but I argue that it's unlikely to work.
Some claim that, due to the technological superiority of Western gear, Ukraine doesn't need a large numerical advantage in manpower and equipment to achieve a decisive breakthrough, but I argue based on analysis of previous conflicts — especially the Gulf War — that it's wrong.
In particular, I draw from a paper by Stephen Biddle, which convincingly argues that mass, technological superiority and skills combine in a highly nonlinear way to produce outcomes on the battlefield, that any victory Ukraine might achieve will come at a very high cost.
The result is that, even if Ukraine achieves some success on the battlefield this year, it should be limited and will result in significant losses in manpower and equipment. The same argument applies, perhaps even more so, to Russia.
I argue that only if one side made a catastrophic mistake and launched a wildly overambitious offensive without keeping enough forces in reserve to be able to defend against a counter-attack could the war end quickly, but that it's unlikely to happen.
Another possible scenario is that of a long but one-sided war ending with a decisive victory by one side, but I argue that it's not very likely either and a long war in which both sides alternate victories and defeats before it ends in a stalemate is more likely.
One of the reasons is that as long as neither side can achieve success on the battlefield without significant losses (as I have argued above), military, political and bureaucratic factors will conspire to create more favorable conditions for the side that just suffered a setback.
This suggests a war that can be modeled a bit like a mass on a spring, where any gains in one direction by one side creates the conditions for the other to make gains in the opposite direction next.
For the scenario of a long but one-sided war to be realistic, one side would have to scale down their commitment, but I argue that now that both sides have put their credibility on the line it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
I argue that, although the Biden administration's plan to surge military assistance to Ukraine this year so it will be able to take back strategic territory in the South and force Putin to make a deal will probably fail, the US and its allies won't scale down their commitment.
But while despite what some leaks suggested recently in the US, I think neither side is likely to back down anytime soon, I explain why they also can't keep this up forever.
I argue that the fact that both sides can’t back down but also can’t keep this up forever potentially sets the stage a very dangerous situation, because it creates strong incentives on both sides to escalate in order to break the stalemate and end the war more quickly.
This collective action problem could lead to a scenario in which there is a runaway escalation, in which both sides gradually increase their commitment in the hope to end the war more quickly, but paradoxically only lengthen it.
This could result in a decisive Ukrainian or Russian victory depending on who is no longer able or willing to match the other side's effort first.
I argue that if Russia blinks first, unless that's because in trying to match the West's effort Putin causes a revolution or a coup that plunges the country into chaos, but that it's pretty unlikely because he'd probably back down first and the West would facilitate it.
But another possibility is that Russia will somehow manage to reach Cold War levels of military spending, at which point there is nothing the West could do to prevent a Ukrainian defeat, because it would require a commitment on the part of the West that is not realistic.
However, such a scenario also seems very unlikely, because it would require a complete overhaul of Putin's regime that would be difficult to achieve and very dangerous for him, so he is unlikely to attempt it.
Nevertheless, however unlikely it may be, I don't think we can entirely dismiss this scenario because it would be a disaster and it has historical precedents and, in the course of a long war, very surprising things can happen.
Anyway, I just tried to cover the main points here, but there is more in the essay and you should read it for the details. I hope that it will stimulate discussions about how the war could end because people don't focus on the end game and I think it's dangerous.
Moreover, as I say in the introduction, many people take part in the policy debate but aren’t willing to make any kind of predictions, which I think is a bit like showing up to a ball when you’re not willing to pay the price of admission.
P. S. I've added an addendum after someone made a comment on this passage which I think raises an interesting question.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Philippe Lemoine

Philippe Lemoine Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @phl43

Jan 25
A French journalist asked an IDF spokesman whether they still believed there was a Hamas command center under al-Shifa Hospital, pointing out that the evidence presented after the IDF seized it didn't match the original claims made by Israel.

He replied that it was "unacceptable" for "a democracy like yours to ask another democracy a question" and added that such a question was "extremely weird or even nauseating" (if you see what I mean).

The journalist was almost apologetic and tried to argued that it was normal practice, but the IDF spokesman was having none of it. For some reason I'm supposed to give those people the benefit of the doubt though 🤷‍♂️
In case you have forgotten, let me remind you what the IDF originally claimed was under al-Shifa Hospital.
Now if you want to compare that to what the IDF showed journalists after it seized the hospital, Sky News created a 3D model of the tunnels that journalists were able to see. news.sky.com/story/secrets-…
Read 5 tweets
Nov 22, 2023
I have already retweeted this paper, but I'm doing it again because I think it's fascinating. It suggests that most of the differences in economic policy between mature developed economies that people constantly argue about are second-order relative to demography.
To be clear, this does not mean that economic policy doesn't matter and couldn't make a substantial difference, because the range of variation in economic policy among mature developed economies is limited.
It's possible that something that hasn't been tried yet could make a large difference, not to mention that Italy suggests it's still possible to fuck things up big time, but people argue about existing differences as if they mattered a great deal and they don't seem to.
Read 9 tweets
Oct 23, 2023
I'll probably write about this because it keeps coming up and there is a lot to say about the "offer" made at Camp David, starting with the fact that technically a comprehensive offer was never actually made, but for now here's what this amazing "offer" looked like in practice 🙃
First, if people are going to make this argument, then they should say that and not constantly repeat the talking point that Barak made a super-generous offer at Camp David. This is a lie.
Second, the truth is that no Palestinian leader could ever have accepted this "offer", something anyone even remotely informed about the topic knows, so it doesn't really matter if they were never going to get better. Even Ben-Ami admitted as much in 2006. democracynow.org/2006/2/14/fmr_…
Read 12 tweets
Oct 2, 2023
The mandatory reference to Munich and reductio at Chamberlain in foreign policy discussions is not just stupid because a comparison with the crisis over Czechoslovakia in 1938 almost never makes sense, but also because people have a very dumb understanding of that crisis.
It's not that blaming European statesmen at the time is not appropriate, there is plenty of blame to go around in that episode, but people are always very selective in who they blame and thinking about the crisis primarily in moral terms prevents them from truly understanding it.
Maybe I'll write about this eventually, but in my opinion, it's less a story about courage/lucidity vs. weakness/cluelessness than a story about collective action problems between European states created by divergent interests, ideological differences and domestic politics.
Read 7 tweets
Sep 29, 2023
This stuff only saves lives *given current incentives*, but it affects incentives by making it more rational for people to get on those boats. If you want to save lives, as opposed to virtue signal, you should either lift restrictions on immigration or do what Australia does.
Of course, the German Foreign Office isn't going to advocate lifting restrictions on immigration if only because it knows that's politically impossible, but it also doesn't want to push for Australia's solution for ideological reasons, so instead it virtue signals on Twitter 🤷‍♂️
For obvious reasons, nothing of the sort will ever be done, but this is exactly what happened in Australia and there is no reason to think it would be any different in the Mediterranean. The midwits who lecture everyone about ethics are killing people.
Read 27 tweets
Jul 13, 2023
In today's episode of "selection is everywhere", many people claim based on observational studies that naturalization improves the integration of immigrants, but this study based on a random lottery finds no effect on either economic and non-economic dimensions of integration 🧵

The study finds no effect whether the effect is defined as intention-to-treat (ITT) or local average treatment effect (LATE), which are both potentially of interest depending on the question you're interested in.
The ITT effect is the effect of winning the lottery and receiving a fee voucher to apply for citizenship, whether or not the person actually applies and gets it. It tells you how much facilitating naturalization (without changing eligibility criteria) will improve integration.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(