Paul Powlesland Profile picture
Feb 28, 2023 15 tweets 7 min read Read on X
So, I find myself 30ft in the air up a tree in Wellingborough- surrounded by police, security & tree surgeons- trying to prevent an illegal tree felling. How did I end up here? Here’s an outrageous story of nature destruction & collusion between authorities & private developer 🧵
‘Wellingborough Walks’ is an impressive Avenue of Lime Trees that is over 100 years old & is the pride of the town. A few weeks ago, local councillors were informed that 60 of the trees were to be felled, ostensibly to make a new roundabout & move a gas main
They swung into action, forming a local group to question & challenge the decision. They found that the trees have a Tree Preservation Order on them which makes it a criminal offence to damage or destroy them. But despite protests the developer Vistry started destroying the trees
Local people were arrested for trying to stop the felling & the local tree campaigners asked the council why they wouldn’t enforce the TPO & put a stop notice on the felling. They were told that an exemption applied under the TPO regs northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/people/fo…
At this point, I was instructed by the protesters to produce a pro bono advice on the position. Looking at all of the available documents, my clear conclusion was that the exemptions to the TPO regs didn’t apply & therefore felling the trees with TPO’s would be illegal
I’m sharing the advice I have with the permission of the protesters who instructed me. This was also shared with the council & the police. It was hoped that it would convince them to act to prevent the felling or at least to provide clarity as to why the advice was not correct
But no! So I travelled to Wellingborough to talk to the police on the ground. I explained my advice to them & they did not contradict it. However not only were the police unwilling to stop the illegal felling, they were threatening to arrest the protesters for aggravated trespass
This does not make sense as any trespass also has to be obstructing “lawful” activity to be aggravated. The activity the protesters were obstructing appeared to be unlawful. However, the police had conferred with the tree surgeons & contractors & were clearly on their side
The police came over & read their prepared script on aggravated trespass. I tried to reason with them that such an arrest could not be made given the unlawful nature of the tree felling, which they completely ignored & began physically removing people from the area
At this point I had a choice: to allow these beautiful trees to be illegally & unnecessarily felled, or to climb one of them to of them to prevent the illegality. Before I knew it, I was scrambling up the tree & seeing the perplexed expression of the police far below me
It’s absolutely freezing today, but I intend to remain up here to prevent the illegal felling of these trees. So far the work has stopped, which is good. If you wish to support, please send emails or call North Northants Council & ask them to use powers to issue a stop notice
Update: the police have now surrounded my tree with fencing (kindly provided by the developer they are colluding with today) & are covering it in police ‘crime scene’ tape so the tree is a crime scene. It would be funny if it wasn’t such an abuse of power & waste of resources
Update: I’m still in the tree & despite saying I would come down if the police moved away, they’ve now brought in *12* officers to surround the crime scene pen they’ve made & a fire engine. Such a ludicrous waste of resources to unlawfully arrest someone.
The felling crews went home (so the trees are safe for today); the head of the council offered a meeting tomorrow; & I was starting to get hypothermia, so I’ve now left the tree. Thanks for all your good wishes & the support & publicity you’ve given the campaign to save the trees
And thanks to @NorthantsPolice for cheering me up by giving me the hilariously ridiculous bail condition of “Not to climb any tree in Northamptonshire”. John Clare would be proud!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Paul Powlesland

Paul Powlesland Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @paulpowlesland

Jul 29
I have been the guardian of the confluence of the River Bourne in Kent for many years & have always wondered where it came from.

This weekend I went on a riverine detective adventure find out, & to touch the source of a river & then swim in its confluence on the same day
The River Bourne rises on the greensand ridge East of Sevenoaks.

One of the springs giving rise to it flows from Oldbury Fort, 1 of the biggest Iron Age forts in the South East. This source appeared to be a winter one & was dry, so our attention turned to a pond we had heard of
This pond was north of the village of Ightham & seemed to be where a number of small ditches & underground streams converged. It wasn’t marked on maps, but local people managed to direct us to Fen Pond. Arriving at the site, it seems like an overgrown area of trees… Image
Read 7 tweets
Jul 25
Just returned from a 5 day pilgrimage, walking from London to Canterbury with no money, tent, phone, or much of a plan other than to keep walking until I got there. It was a hard but peaceful & rich experience, through layers of history & miles of exquisitely beautiful nature…

I left Southwark Cathedral at 7pm along the Thames path, walking 10 miles to get to the first piece of green outside the city & slept on the banks of the Thames by the Lighthouse at Tripcock Ness. The estuary is a weird & lonely place, where heavy industry meets wild nature

Next was a day walking up the Darent valley. I’d only seen the river in Dartford before, so was surprised by the character & natural charm of this chalk stream, a days walk out of London. In the evening I went for a dip by a weir & got chatting to another swimmer…

Read 13 tweets
Jul 18
Both of the actions you see in these photos potentially amount to the offence of ‘public nuisance’.

One is punishable with “long, long prison sentences” & the other is rewarded with huge bonuses & billions in profits.

Why the disparity? What does this mean for the rule of law?
The statutory offence of public nuisance is set out at section 78 Police, Crime, Sentencing & Courts Act 2022. There is a strong case that water companies across the country are committing this offence when they carry out illegal sewage spills into many of our rivers & seas. Image
Section 78(1)(a) covers both acts & omissions of acts required by law. This covers many sewage spills, as failing to treat sewage in line with their legal obligations or allowing it to be discharged from CSO’s in non-exceptional circumstances is clear breach of legal obligations
Read 12 tweets
Jul 12
A turd in the hand is worth… billions in profits!

As OFWAT allows massive bill rises to reward @thameswater’s continued failure, here’s what my experience of standing in a river full of shit has taught me about the sewage crisis, it’s origins & what we must do to fix it 🧵 Image
A few weeks ago, I organised a clean up day with @riverroding to remove rubbish from the River Roding in central Ilford. Even in such an urban location, the water was clear & flowing over sand & gravel. There was a short rainstorm & we sheltered under a bridge…

Within minutes, road drains began to pour filthy black water into the river, followed swiftly by raw sewage, including many massive turds bobbing past. The short duration of the rain makes it very unlikely that Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) discharges were legally justified…
Read 19 tweets
Jun 1
In my Chapter in Wild Service, I wrote about an adjoining meadow (owned by aristocrat Viscount Falmouth) which was destroyed with glyphosate. They’ve done it again this year, with a clear line between brown death in adjoining field & green life on my thin strip of land

The kestrel I wrote about has returned, but seemingly can’t hunt in the huge field next door as all of the plants are dead, & thus the creatures that they support are gone. It’s hypnotising to watch it hunting on my riverbank, but melancholy that it’s restricted to a tiny area.
It’s frustrating: this is very poor & marshy agricultural land & plants grow poorly there. Given the Viscount has a huge fortune & 1000’s of acres of land, why not leave this land aside for nature as a riverside meadow & wildlife haven, rather than trashing it for little return?
Read 4 tweets
May 31
One of the best publicly-accesible rewilding sites in London is due to be enclosed & destroyed for artificial pitches for @SpursOfficial. I visited Whitewebbs Park in Enfield to see why it’s special & why local people are against this destructive sell off by @EnfieldCouncil 🧵
Whitewebbs Park used to be a golf course. This has been used to justify turning it into artificial football pitches: after all it’s already had 1 leisure use, why not another? However, over last 4 years since the golf course closed, it has already started to significantly rewild
Indeed, the pre-existing parts of the golf course (particularly the mature trees at the edge of the fairways) give the site a structure which you just couldn’t get if you were rewilding a bare field, & this means Whitewebbs is better for humans & wildlife due to its previous use
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(