Matt Pocock Profile picture
Mar 2, 2023 18 tweets 6 min read Read on X
satisfies in TypeScript has been out for a little while now.

Overall, it's been a success - but it's starting to cause some confusion.

Let's clear it up. const obj = {} satisfies Record<string, string>;  // Propert
satisfies has added yet another tool to the TypeScript user's toolkit.

There are now _three_ ways to assign types to values.

First, there's the humble 'colon annotation'.

This concept isn't really given a name in the TS docs, so I'll use this slightly medical name.

This lets you say 'this variable is always this type'. const obj: Record<string, string> = {};  obj.id = "123&
When you use a colon annotation, you're _declaring_ that the variable is that type.

That means that the thing you assign to the variable _must_ be that type. // Type 'number' is not assignable to type 'string'. const s
This means you can actually give a variable a type that's _wider_ than the one you initially assign.

This is useful when you want to have a default which might later be reassigned. let id: string | number = "123";  if (typeof numer
But colon annotations come with an edge-case downside.

When you use one, the type BEATS the value. That means that if you declare a wider type than you want, you're stuck with the wider type.

In this example, you don't get autocomplete on the routes object. const routes: Record<string, {}> = {   "/": {},
This is the problem satisfies was designed to solve.

When you use satisfies, the value BEATS the type. This means it infers the narrowest possible type, not the wider type you specify. const routes = {   "/": {},   "/users":
satisfies also protects you from specifying the wrong thing inside your config object.

So, colon annotations and satisfies are equally safe. const routes = {   // Type 'null' is not assignable to type
The third way you can assign types to variables is the 'as' annotation.

Unlike satisfies and colon annotations, 'as' annotations let you lie to TypeScript. type User = {   id: string;   name: {     first: string;
This has some limits - you can add properties to objects, but you can't convert between basic types.

For instance, you can't force TypeScript to convert a string into a number...

...except if you use the monstrous 'as-as'. // Conversion of type 'string' to type 'number' // may be a
Sometimes, 'as' is needed. For instance, when you're converting an object to a known type. type User = {   id: string;   name: string; };  // The user
But if you're using 'as' as your default way to annotate variables, that's almost certainly wrong.

The code below might look safe, but as soon as you add another property to the User type, the defaultUser will be out of date - and won't error. type User = {   id: string;   name: string; };  const defaul
There's actually a secret _fourth_ way to give a type to a variable.

Don't.

TypeScript does an amazing job at inferring types for your variables.

Most of the time, you won't need to type your variables. const routes = {   "/": {},   "/users":
So, we've got FOUR ways of assigning a type to a variable.

- colon annotations
- satisfies
- as annotations
- not annotating and inferring it
The mistake I'm seeing a lot of devs make with the release of 'satisfies' is to use it as their new default.

This is fine for simple cases like this: type User = {   id: string;   name: string; };  const defaul
But most of the time, the times you want to assign a type to a variable are when you _want_ the type to be wider.

For instance, this case. If we used satisfies here, you wouldn't be able to assign numericId to id. // colon annotation  let id: string | number = "123&quo
So - satisfies shouldn't be your default. It's for edge cases. It should be for when:

- You want the EXACT type of the variable, not the WIDER type.
- The type is complex enough that you want to make sure you didn't mess it up
If you dug this thread, my TypeScript course just launched - and it's on sale for another week.

Thanks for reading! ❤️❤️

totaltypescript.com

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Matt Pocock

Matt Pocock Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @mattpocockuk

Aug 20
Narrowing down the types of values is key knowledge for any TypeScript dev.

Here's 11 different ways you can do it. I bet you won't know 2 or 3 of them!

🧵
Narrowing with typeof: Image
Narrowing with truthiness: Image
Read 13 tweets
Aug 8
So many folks don't know about structuredClone.

It's awesome, built-in, and supported in all major browsers.

Let's learn 🧵 Image
A common pattern in JavaScript is to create an immutable clone of an object. This is useful when you want to make mutations to it without changing the original.

For that, you'll often see code using the spread operator: `{ ...obj }`. Image
However, this only creates a shallow clone. This means that if the object has nested objects, they will be shared between the original and the clone.

Here, `deep` is shared between `originalObj` and `newObj`, not cloned across. Image
Read 10 tweets
Aug 7
I'm starting to think that library types in TypeScript are all wrong.

Instead of top-level types, they should be available right on the functions that use them.

Brief thread 🧵 Image
How is this possible? Well, it's due to a trick in the way namespaces work in TypeScript.

When you export a namespace with the same name as a function, TypeScript combines the two: Image
This still works with 'import type', too: Image
Read 4 tweets
Aug 5
I've changed my mind on .d.ts files.

If you're writing application code, you should NEVER use them.

Let me explain 🧵
Declaration files are files that only contain types.

They've got two purposes - providing types for JavaScript files, and augmenting types in the global scope.

Here's the section on them in my book:

buff.ly/3SDoL6p
You'll see them a lot in your node_modules folder. Every package comes with a lot of .d.ts files to provide types for the JavaScript files they ship. Image
Read 11 tweets
Aug 5
Sometimes, TypeScript's narrowing kind of sucks.

The prime suspect? Boolean.

Let's take a look at why. 🧵 Image
Let's explain the code above. `myFunc` takes in a string or null. We want to ensure it's not null for some reason.

So, we can use an if statement to check if it's truthy. If it's truthy, it ain't null.

We can do that in MANY different ways: Image
But if we try it with `Boolean`, it doesn't work. We just get string | null, even though this is basically equivalent to `!!input`.

Why? Image
Read 7 tweets
Jul 9
In celebration of my free book coming out, here's a massive thread of all my best free TypeScript resources.

I guarantee that if you work through this list, you'll be the top TypeScript wizard at your company.

🧵
We've got to start with the book. It's 16 chapters of totally free written content.

It goes from first principles all the way up to the bottom end of advanced.

It's the no-brainer place to start.

totaltypescript.com/books/total-ty…
If you want to get practical right away, try diving into my free beginner's tutorial:

This is probably the most popular tutorial I've ever put together. You get a code editor right in your browser, and videos from me to help.

totaltypescript.com/tutorials/begi…
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(