Battle Order Profile picture
Mar 23, 2023 13 tweets 6 min read Read on X
1/ An odd one, the 🇮🇱 Israeli Tank Company (active) mounted on the Merkava Mk4. It's notable for having only 2 tanks per platoon (although reserve units with Merkava Mk 3s have 3-tank platoons, but only 3 platoons) #idf
2/ The numbering scheme:
Battalion CO - ג10
Battalion XO - ג11
Company CO - ג (Charlie)
Company XO - ד (Delta)
Platoon Leaders - 1, 2, 3, 4
Platoon Deputies - ב1, ב2, ב3, ב4 (Bravo)
3/ In platoons with 3 tanks, there is also an "A" tank (א) who is the newest tank commander.
4/ These numbers are seen here repeated on their right-front mudguards. From left to right there's unmarked, 1B, 1, 3B, 3, 4, and 4B (reinforcing the two-tank platoon scheme).
5/ The number of rings on the barrel also symbolizes the battalion number (which is repeated as a numeral on the front-left mudguard).
6/ The "V" IFF marker on the sides represents the company, as does the rightmost horizontal lines on the front-right mudguard.

1st Company - V
2nd Company - > (facing forward)
3rd Company - ^
4th Company - < (facing rearward)
7/ I've been told the 2-tank plts is due to the low availability and expense of the Merkava Mk 4, although this was hold to me by an enlisted soldier so who knows. I've also been told that it's compensated for by technology (like APS and warning receivers)
8/ My personal theory is that supporting infantry/engineers with more attached plts is more of a need than optimizing for peer armored warfare. The Israelis were experimenting with smaller 7-tank coys at one stage, with 2x autonomous plts. This may be a refinement of that
9/ Also, almost everyone in the coy is a conscript (except for the 1LTs and CPTs who have started their extended service). The conscript term is 32 months for men, so Field NCOs don't benefit from the same experience a US Army Sergeant 1st Class would bring to a 2-tank section
10/ I'm told that when conducting a tank-forward mission, the company maneuvers as a whole (sometimes as 2 half-companies of 2 platoons each under the CO and XO). The 4th platoon is also often attached out to an infantry/engineer unit.
11/ Also, Israel does have a custom version of the Jeep Wrangler called the AIL Storm (right). But I’ve been told by a vet that they’ve been replaced as liaison/CO vics in his unit by civilian Wranglers in black (left)
12/ I’ve been told conflict things on the Master Gunner, but the CO’s tank has 5 crew members. Might be unit dependent, but either the CO or MG works from the loader’s hatch. If they have to button up, they have to move to the rear passage
13/ This might also be the case in XO’s tank, with a dedicated tank crew commander so the CO/XO can focus on leading the company. Their crews are also typically chosen for proficiency so they don’t have to be micromanaged

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Battle Order

Battle Order Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @battle_order

Apr 12
1 | The 🇲🇽 Mexican National Guard Section (Type B) the year the Guardia Nacional was formed to replace the Policía Federal. It is a federal gendamerie, mixing police & military characteristics

🇲🇽 terms in 🇺🇸:
Compañía = Company
Sección = Platoon
Pelotón = Squad
Escuadra = Team Image
2 | An interesting aspect of this structure was two of the three "pelotones" (squad-equivalents) were staffed by men while one was staffed by women. Image
3 | I assume this was to balance the integration of female agents at low levels while also providing them their own accommodation, as the National Guard has permanent quarters unlike the old Federal Police. Image
Read 8 tweets
Apr 10
1 | The 🇳🇱 Dutch Motorized Infantry Squad mounted on the Boxer circa 2019, based on my convo with a Dutch Boxer officer at that time. This thread provides more detail & why money matters means they can only fit 6 dismounts in an APC the size of a house 🧵 #ORBATBoys Image
2 | First, their ride is the Boxer GNGP, shortly for Geniegroep or Engineer Squad. Both their infantry and engineer units use the engineer variant of the Boxer, which only has room for 6 dismounts but more stowage for equipment/munitions. Image
3 | There are 4 Boxers per platoon. The Platoon Commander is "Romeo" and the Deputy is "Echo", so the squads in those vehicles are named after them. The Alpha and Bravo squad leaders are doctrinally the more senior squad leaders Image
Read 24 tweets
Aug 27, 2023
1 | NATO unit symbology is 90% standardized, but some countries use their own unique symbols that don't match up with the U.S. The U.S. has also historically used symbols it no longer uses. This thread will look at some of these differences and some unique ones Image
2 | Starting with a unique one, the🇫🇷 Dismounted Engagement Support Platoon.

Their missions are intelligence gathering behind enemy lines and raids. As part of conventional Infantry Regiments, they're sort of like Korea-era U.S. Army Rangers. I think the arrow means penetration
3 | This isn't universal, but I've noticed Euro countries use solid HQ and supply bars for their headquarters and service companies. The U.S. Army took the services out of its HHCs when it created Forward Spt Cos, so it's not as applicable. I believe the USMC just does "H&S"

Read 20 tweets
Aug 25, 2023
1/ The 🇺🇸 U.S. Army Rifle Squad organization and equipment after the fielding of the M110A1 SDMR and M17 pistols to Squad/Team Leaders.

Now available as a poster: battleorder.myshopify.com/products/usa-s…
2/ In terms of structure, the light infantry's Rifle Squad hasn't really changed since 1985, but there have been some recent changes in equipment since the last time I did this graphic ~4 years ago. Image
3/ The big one is the M110A1 SDMR started to be fielded as a squad-level designated marksman rifle around 2020. The SDMR config differs from the CSASS in that it has a different stock and a TANGO6 1–6x24 LPVO
Read 12 tweets
Jul 31, 2023
1 | The 🇺🇸 U.S. Army Attack Company, an AH-64D/E Apache attack helicopter formation part of Attack Battalions, Combat Aviation Brigade.

This 🧵thread overviews the evolution of U.S. Army Attack Helicopter organization, as it's changed dramatically several times since the 1960s. Image
2 | Each Combat Aviation Brigade has an Attack Battalion with 3 Attack Companies, HHC, Aviation Maintenance Company and Forward Support Company. The CAB also has an Air Cavalry Squadron which is similar, but with organic RQ-7BV2 Shadows and an emphasis on recon & security Image
3 | Since the Longbow Fire Control Radar (FCR) was introduced in the late 1990s, the TOEs I've seen have generally prescribed 3 FCRs per company/troop. In footage you will often find Longbow-equipped Apaches paired with those without. Image
Read 18 tweets
Jul 30, 2023
1 | The 🇺🇸 US Army Medium Tactical Vehicle (MTV) Company, a medium transportation capability. They serve in Composite Truck Companies, which are the C Company of Division Sustainment Support Battalions (formerly numbered companies under CSSBs). Image
2 | The main equipment of the MTV Platoon is the 5-ton MTV truck and associated trailer, a relative of the Steyr 12M18.
Heavy Divisions have 1 MTV Plt (20 trucks + trailers), 1 HET Plt, and 2 PLS Plts. Light Divisions have 2 MTV (40 trucks + trailers) and 2 PLS Plts. Image
3 | Unlike the 10x10 PLS trucks specializing in bulk cargo or HETs that can transport tanks and other armor, the MTVs are more suited to transporting personnel and breakbulk cargo.
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(