Nathan Hubbard Profile picture
Mar 31, 2023 14 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1) As someone who was (briefly) in charge of the Twitter Media team - the group tasked with getting high profile people onto Twitter, and verification - AND as one of the few ever to voluntarily give up the blue check, I want to try to articulate how risky this policy change is.
2)The reason the Twitter Media team existed was because *almost all* of the engagement on Twitter happens with tweets from high profile people/organizations across government, sports, music, business, news, whatever the Kardashians are, etc. They’re the lifeblood of the platform.
3) We verified those people so that any user could know they were interacting with a real account; part of the fun of twitter is the real time dialogue with thought leaders (that then flows to others in the replies who get to share their thoughts and ideas).
4) There were a bunch of important safety and security reasons for doing this as well. Hero tweeps like @KatieS and @Larakate have all the scars/stories to prove it. It was also possible to organically build a verifiable account by gaining followers and impact on the platform.
5) There can be some debate over whether Twitter thrived on giving many non-verified users false hope that they were doing anything other than shouting into the void; regardless, it was (and is) the case that verified users are what drive engagement.
6) Now, surely there are verified users today who don’t deserve it. They craved the status symbol and found a way to worm their way in. The percentage is low, and the impact to the platform negligible. Any designation like this is by definition subject to human judgement.
7) But again, the Media Team spent all their time and resources supporting the people who - and the data undeniably proved this - support the platform. We knew where our bread was buttered. Twitter didn’t exist without these creators sending tweets. Now…
8) There were times where certain high profile people actually asked to be paid to join Twitter. There was some internal discussion about this over the course of the company’s history. But the decision was always to hold the line and hope the network effects would win. They did.
9) But what Twitter is going to start doing tonight flips the equation - it is going to ask its most important creators to *pay Twitter* instead of the other way around. Every other social media platform has found a way to pay its creators, not charge them. Will it work?
10) Every day that goes by validates Zuck’s famous “clown car crashed into a gold mine” description of Twitter. While it looks like a criticism on the surface, it is in fact praise for the underlying resilience and perseverance of Twitter. As Zuck discovered, it’s hard to kill.
11) Tonight is another test of that resilience. While a lot of web3 stuff has proven nonsense, the underlying principle that creators should have ownership in the consumer facing platforms that their content powers is still a vibrant idea, one most creators passionately believe.
12) This is the first major opportunity for creators, as a whole, to flex their muscle and reclaim power in the web3 age (if that’s a thing 🤷‍♂️). If most OG blue checks stop tweeting in protest of being asked to pay to create the content that Twitter lives by…Twitter dies.
13) The likely sequencing will be like LeBron: first, give up the check and not pay. But as the experience degrades and impersonation abounds, creators will start to wonder why they’d contribute content to a platform and company that holds them in such contempt.
14) That will be the point at which we might expect a wave of silence to ensue. The first real staring contest of the creator economy is upon us. Will creators seize the moment? Can Twitter sustain it? 🍿

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Nathan Hubbard

Nathan Hubbard Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NathanCHubbard

Apr 21
1) Does it matter that she’s a billionaire? The cooler-than-thou critics can’t seem to shake that context, and dismiss this work as a bit childish. How can she, at 34, still be singing about the same themes?
2) I fall into a different place, which is gratitude to get insight into the life of a unicorn. I mean, she tells us why she’s still framing the world a bit like the girl in the bleachers in You Belong With Me…
3) It’s right there on the pages of these lyrics. She grew up in an asylum. Don’t forget she was a child star. She tells us that when you are a precocious child (to say the least), sometimes you never grow up (in some ways).
Read 10 tweets
Apr 19
1) #TSTTPD is a piercingly vulnerable window into the 2022-2023 psyche of the biggest star in the world. It has some *really* good songs. I think it might be the most interesting lyrical product she’s ever put out. And it is, objectively, not her best album. Bear with me.
2) Following Midnights and the apex of her stardom with a new release was inevitably going to invoke critical scrutiny; but I’m here to tell you that making her “best” album ever was definitely not the point. It requires no apology. I think she made what she had to.
3) Every word of these songs reads of wrenching heartbreak from the longest relationship of her life, and the most public (and apparently painful) rebound of her life. Early 2023 @taylorswift13 was apparently pretty vaporized inside while performing the biggest tour in history.
Read 18 tweets
Jul 24, 2023
1) I was briefly blasé about Brian Harman, a journeyman, winning @TheOpen today. And then…I heard his message to his family after his round. And I *hate* myself for only passively rooting for him. Do you know how much it sucks to be the family of a @PGATOUR journeyman?

I do.
2) It’s probably awesome to be Rory’s wife, or Scheffler’s dad, or Rahm’s in laws - I’ve seen ‘em all at events and they’re cool, it seems great. Their golfer is unequivocally one of the best on 🌎. Their job is to give #perspective when they finish a disappointing 2nd place 🤣.
3) When your family member is a journeyman, every shot feels like life or death. Because your guy (sorry to avid hunter Brian Harman) only eats what he kills - half the field makes $0, and very few people are guaranteed a job next year.
Read 16 tweets
Jul 7, 2023
1)🚨Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) is here 💜🚨

Every Single Album will drop next week as we’ve had time to process and analyze.

BUT let’s do some real time reactions here👇

There will be a few clear narratives from SNTV. The first (fitting since Mean is here) is her voice.
2) For 1989 and Reputation, the hardest part of re-recording will be the sonic creations of Max Martin and Shellback. Increasingly obvious what’s hard about these earlier ones is capturing the youth, sass, bitterness, anger, hurt that was inherent in 2010 @taylorswift13’s voice.
3) And while she was criticized harshly for this voice (hence the reaction in Mean), it’s that very fragility that when paired with her subject matter creates the emotional vulnerability that is the pull for this album; she wrote these herself in her voice and you believe her.
Read 16 tweets
Jun 8, 2023
1)After 48 hrs talking to much smarter people inside and outside of DC, London, and Brussels, I’ve heard enough to believe:

The PGA Tour-LIV deal will be blocked. The filings in the prior lawsuits between them are damning.

If so, let’s ask the *next* questions:
2) Did both parties understand this? The rushed nature of the announcement and the short negotiation suggests there was not a lot of outside counsel involved in this discussion. This seems like the most likely truth. But let’s play the “what if it was strategic chess” game…
3) Who benefits most from the deal falling apart? And has the public reaction changed the calculus? Well…

The PGA Tour and Monahan are taking arrows. They didn’t communicate the case that this is the death of LIV (but a PIF win) well AT ALL. Rory did! But…
Read 18 tweets
Mar 2, 2023
1) Some long and loose ⛳️ thoughts on the big @PGATOUR news today from someone *insanely highly invested* in a family member who has been both inside and outside the Top 50 line and will be fighting every week for position:
2)The *methods* LIV took to exploit the vulnerability in the @PGATOUR are worth all the criticism, but the *insight* behind it was completely valid: the best players are not being paid enough for the value they bring to the sport.
3)The ONLY way to solve the problem is by 1) growing the pie and 2) redistributing it. The Tour was struggling to grow the pie because the best players weren’t all playing at the same time. It’s not far off from what we’ve seen w/load management in @NBA (who should pay attention)
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(