Ashlee Vance Profile picture
Apr 1, 2023 5 tweets 1 min read Read on X
Had a 20-minute walk down Market Street with a friend who remarked, "I've never seen anything like this," as his head was on a swivel the entire time. I love SF. What the city has become is unconscionable.
Several pockets of 20 to 30 people all off their heads. A number of them with pants barely on. Zombies. The walking dead. Cops observing the proceedings from 100 feet away.
This isn't tolerance. It's giving up. The city's leaders should not be able to sleep with their shame.
My son never wants to go to SF for a visit. Nor do his friends. They think it's a war zone.
The first time I visited SF at 18 the city felt magical. It had its rough around the edges spots. But so do all big cities. The center of the city now is apalling. Any official not spending every waking moment trying to fix it should go.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Ashlee Vance

Ashlee Vance Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ashleevance

Dec 9, 2023
Think I've been to as many European start-ups as just about anyone on the planet. There's a weird psychological limiter on start-up ambitions that is not helped by universities or governments
For reasons that I will never understand, the universities still tend to be very greedy during IP transfers. Stanford figured out the playbook about 80 years ago. Just do that. Risk taking. Fondness for the weird and eccentric. Also low
The US, China and Israel are the clear standouts in terms of VC funding, work ethic, networking and general energy devoted to start-ups
Read 14 tweets
Dec 1, 2023
A couple of weeks ago, I went to a weapons test site in the Nevada desert to see a test flight of Anduril's latest creation called Roadrunner. Contrary to the name . . .

bloomberg.com/news/articles/…
It does not run fast along the road. Instead, it's like part missile, part fighter jet, part reusable rocket. It appears to be the first reusable weapon of its kind ever made
It takes off vertically and then goes into plane made and then can come back and land like a @SpaceX Falcon 9.
Read 12 tweets
Feb 19, 2023
Smarter people than I and/or sci-fi has no doubt already explored this. But these new AIs seem good enough to read a whole company's e-mail+documents and assess workers. Humans intuivetly know the underperformers and whiners. Seems a button click away now
We all know the people at work who everyone complains about. The AIs would seem to be able to pick up on this very quick
News publications could easily have all their stories read and ranked for quality of writing. Reporting would be much harder to guage, I think.
Read 8 tweets
Feb 18, 2023
Just found this old beauty in a box in the closest
This box is like a time capsule
Read 4 tweets
Dec 21, 2022
"What's the runway?," George Hotz asks @elonmusk on Twitter Spaces. Silence. . . . some doofus jumps in to fill silence with garbage question. Come on, dude.
Twitter was tracking to spend $5bn next year, says Elon. Also, because of debt on transaction, $1.5bn debt servicing required. With revenue tracking to $3bn. "So that's like a negative cash flow situation of -$3bn next year. Not good."
"That is why I spent the last five weeks cutting costs like crazy."
Read 12 tweets
Dec 21, 2022
"You're a jackass," says @elonmusk to guy calling him "buddy" while asking him to describe the Twitter tech stack 😂
Hotz kicked the guy off 🤣😂
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(