I'm @Ketanjoshi.co on Bluesky Profile picture
Apr 2, 2023 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Hey! You forgot about the #IPCC report!

Don't worry - I'm going to do another thread here, this time with highlights from the 'longer report', which is longer than the summary of the synthesis, but shorter than the as-yet unreleased full synthesis (which are all summaries)

🫡
The past is here, it's just not evenly (temporally and spatially)

Hello to North America and Europe, responsible for 39% of historical CO2 emissions

(some weird country groupings here....but that's because countries are weird concepts)
The most vulnerable countries also tend to have the lowest emissions per person

It feels old hat now but it's still an important point.
Not exactly a tick of approval for SRM. Didn't they hear about how 'punk rock' it is Solar Radiation Modification (SRM) approaches, if they were
To limit warming to 1.5 or 2C, we need to only emit a tiny fraction of what has already been emitted so far.

Existing and planned fossil fuel infrastructure tip us past that, easily.

Hence: WE CAN'T BUILD ANY NEW FOSSIL FUEL INFRASTRUCTURE.

#IPCC
Power really needs to come first, in the sequence of sectors that reach near-zero emissions up to 2050, for carbon dioxide emissions.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with I'm @Ketanjoshi.co on Bluesky

I'm @Ketanjoshi.co on Bluesky Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @KetanJ0

Jul 18, 2023
What gives me real climate anxiety:

Not that we're doomed to fail, but that the options for success are far more accessible, just and beneficial than we realise

And that we'll let it slip past anyway because it's easy for incumbents to spread lies and protecting profits.
We began this journey being told by Very Serious and Very Smart economists that this is a "wicked problem" and that it makes more sense to go slow on action and rely on distant tech solutions. This was the first big lie, and we're living the damage done by these people right now.  A person shelters from the sun at a Phoenix bus stop. City is in grips of record run of days with temperatures of 110F or higher. Climate crisis Extreme weather live: Phoenix breaks record with 19th day of 110F highs in a row; Europe swelters under heatwave 7m ago Arizona's Extended Extreme Heat Wave On Track to Break Its Record For Longest Stretch Of Days Over 110 Degrees<br>PHOENIX, ARIZONA - JULY 14: People seeking shelter from the heat rest at the First Congregational United Church of Christ cooling center on July 14, 2023 in Phoenix, Arizona. The church opened its doors, providing wat...
Yet the times where we've ignored these people and ran hard with heavy government intervention, we've had huge success. Wind and solar, for instance, were in reality far more effective, cheaper and simpler than previously thought. Image
Read 9 tweets
Jun 1, 2023
I am vibrating with rage at this story. Australian gas company @JemenaLtd is **PAYING PEOPLE** to buy new fossil fuel appliances instead of electric ones.

What a psychotic scheme. And what a stunning illustration of how shallow and cynical they are.

theage.com.au/environment/cl… A Jemena spokesperson defen...2023 Natural Gas gonaturalg...
@JemenaLtd oh my god
@JemenaLtd Always a good sign when you need to preface 2% with an "up to"

So somewhere between 0% and 2% then....

downloads.ctfassets.net/qo8rchstxbg2/1… Image
Read 5 tweets
May 31, 2023
A quick one for you all - I plugged the new Aus emissions data in my tracking spreadsheet. Historical land-use data has undergone what I think is the biggest revision for some time (if not ever) - makes recent emissions look much lower

This is bad. The data are unreliable Image
The bundle on the left: total emissions including land-use , with the darkening colours being each new version of the report

On the right - the same, excluding land-use

You can see how land-use changes the narrative so significantly, and the revisions to the data intensify that Image
These revisions to historical emissions data are **massive**. In terms of scale, it's a reduction in historical emissions data **bigger** than the drop in total transport emissions during the pandemic lockdowns, in 2020 - just from the last version to the most recent. Image
Read 15 tweets
May 30, 2023
The COP28 president has been editing Wikipedia to remove references to a 2019 multi-billion dollar oil pipeline deal

Definitely do not retweet these screenshots of details about the deal

theguardian.com/environment/20… ImageImageImageImage
Just....lol.

"Instead, they suggested that the page note the company was using the revenues from this increased oil output to “invest in carbon capture and green fuel technologies" A Wikipedia user, whose ide...
um....does anyone know who runs this account? Andy Vermaut @AndyVermaut. ...
Read 4 tweets
May 27, 2023
"Australia is one of the least racist countries in the world"
It's sort of amusing that he's having a go at journalists here, when this is exactly the thinking of Quillette-brained centre-right smugness that Australia's white media loves more than any other group

If anyone interested in some actual data rather than feels on this

theconversation.com/racism-is-stil… Image
Read 4 tweets
May 27, 2023
One of the most consistent trends in Australian media, whenever the issues of diversity, systemic racism and racist media reporting bubble to the surface, is just a stunningly powerful inability to admit there's a problem.

They been warned, many times, for a long time.
I have never encountered a group of people less capable of introspection, and of constructive peer criticism.

**and I work almost solely with the fossil fuel industry**
Many people have been doing this, but here are a few times I've tried to raise the issue of racism in Australian media - and failed entirely.
Read 35 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(