Zaid Jilani Profile picture
Apr 11, 2023 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
An MSNBC host claimed that independent journalist Matt Taibbi lied to Congress, a federal crime. What's more likely is the MSNBC host has no idea what he's talking about.
leefang.substack.com/p/msnbcs-mehdi… Image
Having worked with Mehdi, this is a pattern. He learns very little about a topic and then goes 100% full throttle with no nuance. He plays to a partisan crowd but frequently makes elementary errors. Like claiming black people can't vote in Georgia:
Which by the way had higher voter turnout in 2022 than New York did. Where's the MSNBC segment on New York's oppressive voter laws?
Going 100% into a partisan or tribal ideology with no nuance, always seeking to demonize the other side is why Mehdi fell for this Islamist stuff as a 20-something. True change would be listening to the other side not preaching at them.
An avowed Afghan foe of the Taliban decrying Medhi describing Americans as analogous to them. Of course to Mehdi this is just partisan banter to get the MSNBC job he was seeking.
Mehdi Hasan has perfectly adapted to the pathologies in partisan cable news: seek out conflict, not facts. Play to your base, never challenge them. And polarize the country because it's good for you, even if it's bad for the country.
By the way I was working with both lee and mehdi at that time, and this *never happened.* What happened was they were just arguing about politics on twitter and the managers wanted them to chill so they both did. Why is Mehdi lying about this during *Ramadan*? Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Zaid Jilani

Zaid Jilani Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ZaidJilani

Apr 24
When I was working at ThinkProgress, which was basically a Dem Party operation, years ago, we would go to Tea Party rallies with 100,000 people and find one or two people saying something racist to frame the whole rally that way. I didn't like it then, don't like it now.
I focus pretty much everything I do on elite actors who actually make a difference, I don't like picking on ordinary people or smearing people. That's a sickness in American politics, on all sides.
Well, did you find any stories I wrote like that? I objected to that tactic then and I object to it now. I'm just saying that it's a dirty tactic and now that a foreign government is playing that tactic against Americans, it's no better.
Read 10 tweets
Apr 21
At least 40-50% of Jewish students at colleges and universities right now hate the Israeli government and the war, yet it's being reported as a Jews vs. Arabs thing. Just like the simplistic woke narratives during the Summer of 2020, reducing people to ethnic stereotypes.
There's also a broader problem in media that if you're a minority you're supposed to be a victim. If you as a reporter interview someone who says "yeah I feel totally fine" the editor says, sorry that's the wrong story. We need conflict, we need victims.
And yet when the right does it, as they are now, you are silent. So that shows how sincere the criticism is.
Read 8 tweets
Apr 12
Try telling them Indian parents are fine if the kids live with them until they’re 50. Heck the grandkids too.
I was reading a Reddit thread yesterday about a pregnant 19 year old whose mom wanted to kick her out and I was thinking man these people are Americans alright
In India they’d be like awesome can you have four more we will build an extension to the house for your whole family
Read 4 tweets
Apr 10
I found the article about NPR on Free Press to be interesting. In that article a former NPR insider notes they struggled to get minority listerners.

I went to the front page and put the first article through a readability test, here were the results: Image
Basically NPR's segments and articles are geared towards college-educated audiences. If they want people broader than that to take advantage of their content, they need to use language and cover topics that interest people broader than that segment of people.
I'm sorry but your average dude sitting at a waffle house is not going to understand what's going on in this article. They would not get past the line about they/them pronouns. Image
Read 8 tweets
Apr 5
Stephen Miller who runs America 1st legal and was one of Trump's immigration point men doesnt care that much about illegal migration. His goal is to revert the U.S. to the 1920s or something and that would probably include deporting much of Elon's space x/tesla workforce.
Elon I assume flirts with this stuff because he thinks if Republicans win, they will cut his taxes. But if he helps them become as extreme as Stephen Miller, they might also deport his workforce and ruin his fortune. So...
Read 8 tweets
Mar 27
I did a reverse image search. One hit on the entire Internet, on a website called "Civil War In Europe" in 2017. Jesus is a revered figure in Islam.

Then I realize this account (who Elon loves) posts this image once every few months. Are they gullible or just sociopathic?
One day if these guys actually managed to incite a terror attack or something are they going to be like "don't care, got my Twitter payout."
Actually it goes back even further, 2015, and even the blog that posted it was skeptical Muslims did it (I used Google Translate on the French) Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(