Portergauge 🏳️‍🌈 Profile picture
Apr 18, 2023 22 tweets 9 min read Read on X
Had some thoughts on troll heritage in the wake of this, since trolls and draenei are likely to get their heritage at the same time.

For troll heritage, I honestly want something much simpler: for the player to undergo the trials to become a Shadow Hunter. Image
My first instinct for a troll heritage would be for it to be the meeting of the tribes to re-establish where they all are, and to give the Darkspear a proper narrative moving forward.

But I honestly think that needs to happen independent of heritage, and available for all. Image
Ideally, I'd hope that could happen *before* troll heritage, alongside the return of Vol'jin (as loa of whatever he ends up being)

Vol'jin is incredibly important for the Darkspear, but I really don't want their heritage to be more "look, the trolls are mourning Vol'jin" plot. Image
The Kosh'harg worked amazing for orc heritage, because they are defined by their unity as a people *alongside* their clan identity.

The trolls don't quite have that same unity, and the identity of the player troll group has always been Darkspear, so my goal is to focus on that. Image
A big thing I think the troll heritage in particular needs to accomplish is re-establishing Darkspear identity in particular, because they've lost so much of it.

Not just Vol'jin, but their aesthetics and culture as a whole got wholly overshadowed by the Zandalari in BfA.
The most egregious offense in that regard is the fact that Bwonsamdi is effectively no longer their patron loa. He is the Loa of Kings for the Zandalari, with Talanji as his avatar, and only saved Zandalari souls in the Other Side.

It's been a rough go for the Darkspear lol
So for their heritage, I think that the Darkspear's connection to the loa as a whole should be something to focus on and re-establish.

And I think there's no better way to do that than to have the player themselves undergo the trials to connect to the loa in the highest regard.
The biggest question for this would be *where* it would be.

The interesting thing is that Vol'jin's short story implied that First Home, the location where shadow hunters undergo their trials, survived the collapse of the Darkspear Isles unscathed, so my ideal would be there. Image
The obstacle obviously becomes actually *making* a location for that.

But in my wildest dreams, a fully fledged island scenario seems like the perfect thing to go all out on for heritage, especially with how many modern troll assets the game has now. Image
It's there that I think the player troll could undergo trials to connect to the loa in their two distinct forms: the loa who are Wild Gods, and the loa who are troll spirits.

For the first, I'd love it if the player would get to choose a patron loa for themselves to guide them. Image
There's a huge repertoire of loa to choose from, and ideally they would all get their day in the sun here.

But out of them, the big ones I really hope would be included are Shadra, Gonk, Hi'reek, and Shirvallah. ImageImageImageImage
Gonk is self-explanatory, he's already the druid patron. Hi'reek and Shirvallah are two loa worshipped by the Darkspear and uniquely *not* connected to the Zandalari.

And for Shadra, I'd love a plot where she distanced from the Zandalari in the wake of their betrayal.
Bwonsamdi I think is simply the loa that applies to all Darkspear, he wouldn't be a matter of *choice* for a patron.

Also... please just retcon the Dambala stuff from Shadowlands. Say it was a mind controlled manifestation of Hakkar or something just. Please fix that lmao Image
In the same vein a lot of the heritage quests have added extra little toy goodies, I think this would be a nice little place to add a cosmetic totem for trolls, themed around whatever loa they choose.

Just as a neat little flavor thing, it would be cute. Image
Their connection to a loa like them would establish their connection the traditional troll arts (after a trial to prove yourself).

But from there, I think what should make the Darkspear truly stand out should be their connection to *troll* loa, the ancient spirits of the dead.
What has always made them unique amongst trolls to me is their connection to death, good and bad.

They have a will to survive, a will to accept their losses, and an intimate connection with their very god of death that no other tribe cared to do beyond a need for power. Image
Alongside Bwonsamdi, the true trial would be to prove themselves to these ancient spirits to gain the their favor.

And in the process earn make the Darkspear distinct from the other tribes: Their living manifestations of the loa's power as Shadow Hunters. Image
Shadow Hunters are essentially the only thing *not* totally ripped from their culture and made into a Zandalari thing during BfA, and I'll forever be grateful for that.

It is *the* iconic Darkspear class, and it's the perfect way of celebrating the player as their champion. Image
The ability for troll players of any class to become one would similarly show the adaptability of the Darkspear that the other troll tribes lack.

In the same way they adapted to the world and thrived, their highest of arts would adapt to encompass all of their martial ways.
It also ties into the armor itself: There's really no other choice other than to give trolls Shadow Hunter armor.

Variants to add things like the Witch Doctor garb should be included, but at its core Shadow Hunters are their iconic visual from WC3 to now. ImageImage
Rokhan, the Darkspear, and non-Zandalari trolls as a whole definitely need a proper spotlight in the future, but like I said, I hope that is a proper story within the plot that anyone can do ala the Baine quests.

For their heritage, I think simple and focused is the better move. Image
Oh, and as a bonus:

In the same way worgen join the Greyguard and humans join the Lionsguard, it would be a great opportunity to let the troll player be a member of the Siame-Quashi to show their status among their tribe. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Portergauge 🏳️‍🌈

Portergauge 🏳️‍🌈 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Portergauge

Mar 21
It's very funny looking back at how blatantly evil Bolvar was in Legion compared to more recentstuff lol Image
Like come on man, you can't pass this off as "oh I was just doing it for The Balance :)" lmao Image
Also I still find it very funny that they made a whole ass HD Frostmourne just for this one scenario and nothing else

Maybe in the future they'll rectify that, now that we're fully done with Arthas and the Lich King. Put it on the Trading Post as a 'very convincing replica' lol
Read 5 tweets
Jan 19
So, it seems like with 10.2.5 going live, a *lot* of NPCs relating to draenei and troll heritage got added to the files.

Gonna be going through them here, so beware of potential spoilers for both stories by implication of these NPCs.
Starting with draenei, which *seems* to be focused around Auchindoun, and potentially building a new equivalent on Azeroth.

Not only are there a bunch of soulpriest NPCs, but D'ore, the naaru that Auchindoun was originally built around.
There are also a bunch of old, now-deceased Exarch NPCs who will likely be showing up as spirits, including Maladaar himself.

It's nice to see these ones, however minor they might be.

Read 12 tweets
Jan 16
Okay, proper Dragonflight epilogue time, here be spoilers. Image
This was a cute little capstone to the story, and a nice way of showing that the player is, in some way, being treated more like a character now.

Still a shame half these people have never even talked to each other to make that 'family' though lol
There's two epilogue branches, starting with night elves first to get it done Image
Read 9 tweets
Jan 16
Okay, 10.2.5 time, here be spoilers. Feel free to mute this thread/me for the day, because I'll be covering *all* of it.

Starting with Vyranoth's reason for being Aspect of Storms, I like that it calls to her and Raszageth's interactions in the book. Image
Okay this is... literally everything I wanted from Wrathion this expansion, and god I wish they'd actually *told* this story beyond this conversation lol

Really hoping this is leading up to him joining us properly in TWW, and god is this *so* well choreographed/voiced, holy shit
Text version, for better ease of reading, but please listen to the voice acting and music, it is phenomenal, easily the best Stay a While and Listen the game has ever done
Read 7 tweets
Nov 1, 2023
Finally home and free, wasn't lucky enough to get a pre-review copy so I'm doing it the old fashioned way on release day lol

Here be spoilers, but mostly out of context snippets I find interesting. Image
It's nice to see Tyranastrasz get a cameo, and some confirmation that he's an *old ass dragon* lol

(maybe one day his poor skull will be taken from a fucking dwarven museum and given back to the dragons lol) Image
The first chapter notes the "Dragonwilds" as surrounding the Broodlands/Dragon Isles, but the opening of it has it already existing as a totally independent island, just with Ohn'ahran Plains renamed (but also somehow still housing Maruukai?)

Not sure what's up there.
Read 40 tweets
May 25, 2023
So, 10.1's campaign is over. I gave myself a day or so to compile my thoughts, and this will be where I air them out. Warning: this will be long thread lol

Like I've said in the past, I love most of 10.1, but the biggest pain point lies in the Black Dragonflight storyline. Image
To preface: I do not think the plot beats of 10.1 are inherently bad.

There is a feasible story for any of the three brothers becoming Aspect, and while Wrathion's plot was inarguably the most set up, a pivot to explore other sides of his character instead is a neat idea.
My issues pretty much entirely come down to execution, both on the larger narrative messaging and on the journey to get towards this conclusion.

I'm going to first go through my issues with each brother, and then the issues with the flight's story as a whole.
Read 63 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(