wolfewylie Profile picture
Apr 26, 2023 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
When I first joined the federal government, the structure of the organization was deeply confusing to me. Too many acronyms, so many lines of reporting, the sheer size of the place. It's a difficult place to learn.

So I built a tool.

Today I can share it with all of you:
I wanted an easy visual resource to show me where any team is and who they report to: Give me a sense of it all. That data came from GEDS: the Government of Canada's employee phone book.

geds-sage.gc.ca/en/GEDS/?pgid=…
The GEDS data is part of our #OpenData portal here: open.canada.ca/data/en/datase…

But uncompressed it's over 800MB of JSON and it's meant to describe each employee, not the structure of the organization. JSON view of the raw GEDS d...
So I wrote a little script to invert it and use each employee's reporting line to reverse-engineer an org chart for the whole of government. That starts to look like this: JSON of the government of c...The JSON structure for the ...
This exercise reduces the 808MB JSON file down to a much more reasonable 8MB, or just a few hundred KB per department. WIN! Now on to visualization. I used the @MiroHQ API to build out the org chart of any department anyone wants to see. A visualization of the stru...
This was fun math to get the layout right, I'm not gonna lie. But once we're in @MiroHQ we can start to zoom in on teams, link teams together and even search for teams within a broad structure. Showing an arrow linking to...Arrows shown linking togeth...A demonstration of the Sear...
And suddenly the entire organization of any government department is demystified, and collaborative work becomes easily visualized! FUN! The front-end lets you pick any department, and one of three layout choices (horizontal, vertical left-aligned and vertical right-aligned). The front-end of the tool s...
Because this is all #OpenData the code behind it is here, and that page includes instructions for how to install and use the tool: github.com/wolfewylie/gov…
And, because it's the federal government, the tool is entirely English/Francais bilingual.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with wolfewylie

wolfewylie Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @wolfewylie

Oct 23, 2020
I’ve been working with the @cbcmarketplace team for almost two years building this story, building the dataset and the structures, helping the team prove how widespread these problems are. We’ve published a few stories, but this is a big one. (THREAD): cbc.ca/news/marketpla…
@cbcmarketplace The raw reports are all public information. Nothing is preventing anyone from looking them up. But it’s very difficult to look at the system as a whole. The reports live here: publicreporting.ltchomes.net/en-ca/Search_S…
@cbcmarketplace Each report is a PDF. Most of them are text PDFs, a few of them are image PDFs. They look something like this.
Read 11 tweets
Jul 23, 2020
After the death of George Floyd, and the massive international movement to defund and demilitarize police, we got to work trying to see the Canadian context. Today, that project goes live.
There is no central database of police violence or killings in Canada. In 2018 we set out to build our own, and we launched Deadly Force, a database of everyone killed by police since Jan. 1, 2000.

Today, we launched its updated version: newsinteractives.cbc.ca/fatalpoliceenc…
555 people have been killed by police in Canada since Jan. 1, 2000. We’ve told the story before of how Black and Indigenous people are over-represented in that data. That hasn’t changed in this update. Image
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(