Pekka Kallioniemi Profile picture
May 21, 2023 26 tweets 13 min read Read on X
In today's #vatniksoup, I'm going to talk about MICE. Not the rodent, but an acronym that originates from CIA recruitment strategy used in espionage. MICE explains the main motivators for covert and also overt action, and it stands for Money, Ideology, Compromise and Ego.

1/25 Image
Whereas CIA Staff Historian Randy Burkett has stated that MICE has "outlived its usefulness" in counterintelligence, it seems to still apply quite well to those who are recruited to spread online propaganda. When doing research and deep dives on individuals who are...

2/25 Image
... producing and promoting pro-Kremlin viewpoints, one can quickly find connections between the people and these four motivators. Naturally, these motivators can also overlap. One example from counterespionage is the case of Earl Edwin Pitts, who had been an FBI agent...

3/25 Image
...who sold secrets to the Soviets and later to the Russians. During his interrogation, he told that he was treated badly while working for the FBI,but was also motivated by the stacks of rubles the Russians offered.

These days people who work to benefit a foreign actor..

4/25 Image
...are called "useful idiots", a term falsely attributed to Lenin. In my view, it's counterproductive to refer to these people as idiots, as some of there are actually quite intelligent, and they've simply taken an opportunity to benefit from "working for the enemy".

5/25 Image
A research project called Project Slammer, conducted during the late 80s, suggested that the subjects who become spies often see themselves as special, even unique; deserving, living in unsatisfactory situation, has ran out of other options (than to engage in espionage),...

6/25 Image
...and not a "bad person". This probably applies to most online propagandists, too.

Propagandists, like spies, often think of their work as "victimless" crime - many might feel that spreading disinformation and false narratives doesn't hurt anybody, it's just...

7/25 Image
..."another version" of the story. Yet these actions often have consequences - they can, for example, affect the support and aid that Ukraine gets from the West.

8/25 Image
Now, I'm going to move to the territory of speculation. I've been researching "independent journalists", politicians and other pro-Russian actors for quite some time, and I feel like I have a hunch of what drives some of them.

Here's my analysis for each motivator:

9/25
Money: This one's the easiest - most of the pro-Kremlin mouthpieces are motivated by money. In fact, if you'd take the money out of the equation, they'd stop producing their nonsense and would move on to other things.

10/25 Image
In my opinion, most "independent journalists", including Janus Putkonen, Mike "iEarlGrey" Jones and Patrick Lancaster are driven by money. All of them have had some hardships in their previous lives, and have moved on to work for the Kremlin to make a decent living.

11/25 ImageImageImage
Some businessmen were offered lucrative business deals by the Kremlin, possibly to help with their cause.

In addition, there are those politicians and grifters who are most probably driven by both their ego and their money.

12/25
These include Gonzalo Lira, Jackson "Z" Hinkle, and most of the MAGA crew. Politicians like MTG and Boebert will drop any ideology (for example, QAnon) as soon as it no longer serves their self-interests.

13/25 ImageImageImageImage
Ideology: Ideology can be extremely strong motivator and often creates staunch and loyal propagandists. Most of the ideology-driven Putin propagandists come from the far corners of the left and right,but many of them also believe in various conspiracy theories and have no..
14/25 ImageImageImage
..political affiliation. Some people who in my opinion are driven by ideology, include Caitlin Johnstone, Katrina vanden Heuvel, Caleb Maupin, Steve Bannon and of course Noam Chomsky. It's not rare to see people from the far-left and from the far-right cooperate in this...

15/25 ImageImageImageImage
..domain,reinforcing the idea of the horseshoe theory. Even though rabid anti-US/NATO/Western stance is not an ideology per se, it is a strong motivator for many propagandists. Russia is also often pushing the idea of "decadent West" vs "traditional Russia.

16/25 ImageImage
Compromise/Kompromat: This refers to damaging information about a person, which can then be used for blackmail. The most common type of kompromat is some kind of sex tape of the person involved. Putin has used this strategy to his benefit since forever.

17/25 Image
The most famous case happened in 1999, when then FSB Chief Putin released a sex tape where Prosecutor General Yury Skuratov was in bed with two young women. Skuratov had started investigating corruption of Putin's then boss, Boris Yeltsin, and this tape was used to make...

18/25 ImageImage
...him resign from his position. Kompromat is the most difficult to detect,as once the compromising material has been exposed, these people often become useless. In my opinion, those men who have visited Russia on various occasions are the most evident targets of kompromat.
19/25
Some of these people include Mark Ames, John Dolan, Andrew Anglin and Graham Phillips. Ames has even written about their sexcapades during the 90s and 00s in Moscow.

Ego: Ego is another strong motivator, and can create very loyal propagandists.

20/25 ImageImageImage
In many cases, propagandists ego has been "bruised", and they often feel like they have been mistreated by their own country. For ego-driven propagandists, two prime examples are Scott Ritter and Douglas Macgregor. Both were at some point quite talented in their work but...
21/25 ImageImageImage
...were, to some degree, mistreated by their superiors. Macgregor's career was hindered due to his unorthodox methods, and Ritter was humiliated as a weapons inspector. Now they're both pushing Kremlin narratives, and Ritter is even touring around Russia, even going to...
22/25 ImageImage
... talk shows to praise Russia and defame the US and Ukraine. In my opinion, fake news bloggers like Aaron Maté and Max Blumenthal are driven by their huge egos, and formerly prestigious old school journalists like Seymour Hersh have the same problem.

23/25 ImageImageImageImage
MICE is good at describing our core motivations for producing and promoting propaganda, but it's also oversimplifying things. Randy Burkett has stated that it excludes important factors like family, tribe, religion, ethnicity and nationalism.

24/25
But I still argue that it is a useful tool for determining what drives these actors to publish disinformation and false narratives, and that in most cases we can apply these motivators to most people.

In my case, it's probably ego.

25/25
Support my work: buymeacoffee.com/PKallioniemi/m…
Subscribe to my upcoming YouTube channel: youtube.com/@TheSoupCentral
Past soups: vatniksoup.com

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Pekka Kallioniemi

Pekka Kallioniemi Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @P_Kallioniemi

Jun 26
In today’s #vatniksoup, I’ll discuss the Wagner Group, its founders Yevgeny Prigozhin and Dmitry Utkin, and the mutiny they started on 23 Jun 2023. The event marked the climax of the Wagner Group–Russian MoD conflict, and finally led to the deaths of Prigozhin and Utkin.

1/22 Image
Wagner has been used in many conflicts around the world, but they came to global prominence during the war in Donbas in 2014-2015. Wagnerites helped the Donbas separatists fight against the Ukrainians during the conflict, which helped Putin to “outsource” the insurrection.

2/22 Image
The group doesn’t have any central ideology, but many of its members and leaders have ties to various neo—Nazi movements in Russia. For example, Wagner leader Dmitry Utkin had several Nazi symbols tattooed on his body. Neo—nazi group Rusich has also fights as part of Wagner.
3/22

Read 23 tweets
Jun 20
In today’s #vatniksoup, I’ll introduce an Amsterdam-based propaganda channel, Bonanza Media (@bonanzamedia2). It’s best-known for producing & spreading online pro-Kremlin propaganda videos while closely coordinating & collaborating with the Russian intelligence agency GRU.
1/19 Image
Russian intelligence has been extremely active in the Netherlands for a long time. For example in 2018, four GRU agents were caught while trying to hack into OPCW,an organization that monitors the use of chemical weapons. In addition, the International Criminal Court (ICC)…
2/19 Image
…and the MH17 investigation have become targets for the Russian intelligence and propaganda operations. These operations are often complemented with “investigative journalism” media outlets, that often echo the Kremlin’s propaganda and disinformation.

3/19 Image
Read 20 tweets
Jun 14
In today’s #vatniksoup, I’ll talk about the recent EU elections and what are their implications for both the Kremlin and Ukraine. Right-wing political parties, some pro-Kremlin, won a lot of seats around Europe, and this result can also change the EU’s stance on Ukraine.

1/19 Image
But before we start, I want to promote a truck fundraiser I'm doing together with the fantastic @ArturRehi and @69thSB.

Our goal is 20 000 USD, and you can contribute to this important fundraiser here:

2/19artursarmy.com/contribute/reh…
EU’s support of Ukraine is essential for their survival against genocidal Russia. So far,this support has been delayed mostly by Orban’s Hungary (& to some degree, Fico’s Slovakia). Now, this support will probably be challenged by many new members of the European Parliament.
3/19
Read 20 tweets
Jun 14
None of these clowns (Wallace, Zdanoka and Daly) were elected to the European Parliament.

It's a bad day for authoritarian regime apologists around the world.

1/4 Image
Read 4 tweets
Jun 12
In today’s #vatniksoup, I’ll discuss a specific propaganda/disinformation that the Kremlin likes to use – antisemitism. I also talk about how the Russian society itself has become riddled with antisemitism & how this has led to a decrease in Jewish population in the country.
1/19 Image
Russian antisemitism works on many levels, and their narratives vary depending whether they’re targeting a local audience or people in Europe and the US. For example for the latter, Russia attempts to create a false narrative of Ukraine being an antisemitic “Nazi state”.

2/19 Image
But before diving deeper, let’s look at a survey data of Russians in 2023: Nearly 30 million Russians harbour antisemitic attitudes, and 15% of those surveyed believed that “Jews were responsible for most of the world’s wars.” 38% think that the Jews have...

3/19
Read 20 tweets
Jun 5
In today’s #vatniksoup, I’ll introduce a Ukrainian media personality and propagandist, Diana Panchenko (@Panchenko_X). She’s best-known for betraying her own country by peddling anti-Zelenskyy and anti-Ukraine propaganda and disinformation for the Kremlin.

1/22 Image
Panchenko was born in 1988 in the Mykolaev Oblast in Ukrainian SSR in 1988. She studied publishing and editing at the Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute and later graduated from Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv with a degree in law.

2/22 Image
After graduating, Diana worked briefly for the news site . Between 2010 and 2015, Panchenko was a presenter for KyivTV, but she found her true calling as a pro-Kremlin propagandist after she was hired by a national “news channel” called NewsOne.

3/22 Gazeta.ua

Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(