Rich People's Gain is Worth Less than Poor People's Pain: A new way to think about utilitarianism, courtesy of the #OfficeOfManagementAndBudget

doctorow.medium.com/rich-peoples-g…

#Utilitarianism #MarginalRevolution #MarginalUtility #IntellectualHonesty #LitmusTests A faded, halftoned image of...
A simple litmus test for self-described utilitarians: would you trade places with someone much worse off if it increased the net supply of human happiness?

#utilitarianism     An intellectually hones...
The #rational case for giving half of Elon Musk's wealth to two people.

#BeRational #Utilitarianism As Quiggin explains, this m...

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK

Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @doctorow

May 30
Today's Twitter threads (a Twitter thread).

NOTE: I DID NOT BUY A BLUE TICK. IT WAS NONCONSENSUALLY ADDED TO MY ACCOUNT.

Inside: Real innovation vs Silicon Valley nonsense; and more!

Archived at:

#Pluralistic

1/ pluralistic.net/2024/05/30/pos…
A suite of old, mainframe-style computers. Looming over them is a carny barker, waving a cane. Perched atop one of the mainframes is a skeleton in a robe, drinking a goblet of blood. On the right, a credulous, gap-toothed child in old-timey clothes grins in marvel at the barker's pitch. The background is an out-of-focus filing room filled with ranked filing cabinets and busy clerks.
This is the last day to get bestselling solarpunk utopian novel *The Lost Cause* (2023) as a $2.99, DRM-free ebook!

2/kobo.com/us/en/ebook/th…
Real innovation vs Silicon Valley nonsense: We're living through a revolution, but all we hear about is scams.

3/
Read 24 tweets
May 29
The corporate wing of the Democrats has objectively terrible political instincts, because the corporate wing of the Dems wants things that are very unpopular with the electorate (this is a trait they share with the Republican establishment).

1/ A press conference in the White House briefing room. The press secretary has been replaced with a woman's torso topped with a 'pizzaburger' (a hamburger patty between two pepperoni pizzas) in place of a head.
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/05/29/sub…
Remember Hillary Clinton's *unimaginably* terrible campaign slogan, "America is already great?" In other words, "Vote for me if you believe that nothing needs to change":

3/
Read 61 tweets
May 27
One of my favorite nuggets of writing advice comes from @ManorMadhouse. Jim, a Navy vet with an encylopedic knowledge of gun lore, explained to a group of non-gun people how to write guns without getting derided by other gun people: "just add the word 'modified.'"

1/ Three antique leather volumes on a shelf. They are three volumes of Codex Theodos Cum, labeled TOME 1, TOME 2, TOME 3–4. Taken at the Royal College of Physicians Library, Regent's Park, London, UK.
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/05/27/cmo…
As in, "Her modified AR-15 kicked against her shoulder as she squeezed the trigger, but she held it steady on the car door, watching it disintegrate in a spatter of bullet-holes."

3/
Read 61 tweets
May 25
Today's Twitter threads (a Twitter thread).

NOTE: I DID NOT BUY A BLUE TICK. IT WAS NONCONSENSUALLY ADDED TO MY ACCOUNT.

Inside: Inkjump Linkdump; and more!

Archived at:

#Pluralistic

1/ pluralistic.net/2024/05/25/ant…
A late 19th Century Japanese boro-style child's sleeping mat composed of several layers of indigo dyed cotton fabrics, patched and heavily stitched.
For the rest of May, my bestselling solarpunk utopian novel *The Lost Cause* (2023) is available as a $2.99, DRM-free ebook!

2/kobo.com/us/en/ebook/th…
Inkjump Linkdump: A long weekend's supply of miscellany.

3/
Read 18 tweets
May 24
In "The Scorpion and the Frog," a trusting frog gives a scorpion a ride across a brook, only to be stung to death by his passenger upon arrival. The dying frog gasps "why?" and the scorpion replies, "I am sorry, but I couldn't resist the urge. It's my character."

1/

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/05/24/rec…
Capitalism's philosophers had an answer to this conundrum. The ambition that drives people to enter the business world comes from a "self-interest" that is indistinguishable from sociopathy.

3/
Read 45 tweets
May 23
A decade ago, a hedge fund had an improbable viral comedy hit: a 294-page slide deck explaining why Olive Garden was going out of business, blaming the failure on too many breadsticks and insufficiently salted pasta-water:

1/ sec.gov/Archives/edgar…
An old Red Lobster ad, showing a fisherman on a pier amid a bounteous catch, standing under an old fashioned . He grins and brandishes a large lobster at a grinning family. The image has been modified to add four symbols of rapacious capitalism. There is a dancing Monopoly Rich Uncle Pennybags with a skull-like face, his cane replaced by a scythe. There is a stern, impatient, grey-haired business-man looming over a rooftop, staring at his watch impatiently. There is a portly, shouting man in a suit and tophat, lugging a money-bag. There is a man in a suit with a money-bag for a head.

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/05/23/spi…
Everyone loved this story. As @ddayen wrote for @Salon, it let readers "mock that silly chain restaurant they remember from their childhoods in the suburbs" and laugh at "the silly hedge fund that took the time to write the world’s worst review":

3/salon.com/2014/09/17/the…
Read 51 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(