Daniel Kleven Profile picture
Jun 14, 2023 8 tweets 7 min read Read on X
You know how when you take a wrong turn, you need to go back and take the other turn?

I've decided I'm doing that with Critical Race Theory--I'm going back to before all the CRT hysteria and alarmism, back before the Anti-CRT Industry® took off, back before the book bans

1/🧵 Image
Back to 2016, when @drjjwilliams @TheWitnessBCC could say:

"evangelicals should be quick to listen and slow to speak on race when they do not understand the issues.

White supremacy and racism are complicated issues... such as...critical race theory..."

thewitnessbcc.com/15-steps-to-ra… Image
2016, when @drjjwilliams @TheWitnessBCC could make basic observations:

"Contrary to certain evangelical Christians, critical race theorists and social scientists argue that racism is systemic, and is deeply ingrained in the structural fabric of the U.S"

thewitnessbcc.com/cruelty-of-col… ImageImage
Back to 2016, when @drjjwilliams @TGC could recommend every evangelical read Delgado, __Critical Race Theory: An Introduction__

"A necessary book because evangelicals still tend to be decades behind on critical race discussions."

thegospelcoalition.org/article/on-my-… Image
Back to 2017 when @Jeff_Liou could put Bavinck in conversation with Critical Race Theory in the Journal of Reformed Theology

"Taking Up #blacklivesmatter: A Neo-Kuyperian Engagement with Critical Race Theory" Image
And then I'm going to pick up @Jeff_Liou and @ProfeChaoRomero __Christianity and Critical Race Theory: A Faithful and Constructive Conversation__ (2023)

amazon.com/Christianity-C… Image
Which, by the way, check out @JemarTisby interview with @Jeff_Liou and @ProfeChaoRomero here:

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/foo…
In other words, I'm just not going to let alarmists hijack the discourse and conversation about Critical Race Theory.

I'm not going to let it be a "bad word" or a "radioactive topic." I'm not going to give them that ground. It's holding us back, and they never really earned it.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Daniel Kleven

Daniel Kleven Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @danieleleven32

Jul 22, 2023
Not going to lie, I did not expect to see @chuckswindoll open up his book on Elijah with a tribute to Confederate general Robert E. Lee, and a reference to the "fine volume"
on Lee by neo-confederate J. Steven Wilkins:

https://t.co/f1AqzuaJMZarchive.org/details/elijah…

And in that book on Robert E. Lee, apparently J. Steven Wilkins plagiarized multiple books:

https://t.co/ipkWaMWnNFtomandrodna.com/notonthepalous…
And OF COURSE in a book on Robert E. Lee, J. Steven Wilkins would recommend another plagiarized book for "Other works of related interest":

Douglas Wilson, Steve Wilkins, __Southern Slavery As It Was__ Image
Read 6 tweets
Jul 19, 2023
You did not have to be in a bubble to be exposed to Bill Gothard

Mainstream evangelical publishers promoted him too (remember the little Lifechange Books?)

The advertising section in C. J. Mahaney's best-seller, alongside Randy Alcorn, John Piper, more

https://t.co/o8SNKIIPmzarchive.org/details/crossc…

If you picked Joni Eareckson Tada's daily devotional back in 1998, on the second day--January 2--you'd get some Bill Gothard, and a reference to __Institute in Basic Live Principles__

https://t.co/hm0A6nSCoTarchive.org/details/morepr…

Bruce Wilkinson (author of best-seller __The Prayer of Jabez__), in __30 Days to Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs__
Read 11 tweets
Jun 27, 2023
The Vision Forum Family Catalog, 1998–2008

an incredible artifact of an industry promoting quiverfull / patriarchy / stay-at-home-daughter / neo-confederacy / homeschooling / providential American history / warfare

https://t.co/cqfMuQDihxyumpu.com/en/document/re…
I think that's Voddie Baucham
The Anti-Historical Revisionism Home School Kit
Read 12 tweets
Jun 15, 2023
Matt Denzer's claim here has pushed me to grapple with some questions about “Third Party Assessments,” Pellucid Consulting, and @wademullen

?s like, “Why do some people implicitly trust a 3rd party assessment, while others call it misleading and ‘malpractice’?”

1/🧵
For example, @johnhsather says: “...The choice of @wademullen doing the assessment was a great choice.

Wade is highly respected by people/orgs like @chuckdegroat @netgrace_org @DianeLangberg @BozT and other well known Christian & professional counselors.” Image
The Assessment Report is public, so what are we —in the public—to make of these conflicting claims? What criteria should we use to evaluate them? And fundamentally, it raises the question of who is assessing the assessors, and how? Are there any checks and balances here?
Read 22 tweets
Jun 15, 2023
Whoa

"Slave cases are still cited as good law across the U.S...

thousands of cases involving enslaved people that lawyers and judges continue to cite as good precedent"

@rachel_treisman @NPR on @JustinLSimard @MSULawthe @CitingSlavery Project

npr.org/2023/06/14/118… Image
For example, the "insane delusion rule"

--still considered grounds for contesting a will, and cited in 70+ cases across the country--

originated when John Townshend tried to free his enslaved workers after his death, but his family challenged it as an "insane delusion" Image
Check out @CitingSlavery's website here:

citingslavery.org
Read 5 tweets
Jun 9, 2023
I think @TGC is a great example of why you need to be *anti-racist* not just "pro-diversity"

If you asked anyone at TGC "how do you feel about white-supremacy and neo-confederacy?" I bet you get clear denunciations

But, oops--here's some resources by a neo-confederate

1/🧵
Oops--here's a TGC council member speaking at "Confederate Memorial Day":

Oops--here's a TGC learning course on Calvinism with "recommended resources" by a white-supremacist:

Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(