‘Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream’ has made some incredible tweets over the years. Short thread 🧵 https://t.co/jZLFU9UTJl
?????

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ɖʀʊӄքǟ ӄʊռʟɛʏ 🇧🇹🇹🇩

ɖʀʊӄքǟ ӄʊռʟɛʏ 🇧🇹🇹🇩 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @kunley_drukpa

Oct 9
WALKING TOUR OF EGYPTIAN NEIGHBOURHOOD

Pictures from a Walk around a Working Class-Area in Alexandria, Egypt 🧵 Image
Shisha Bar. Note the chairs are all positioned outwards facing the road. Cafe culture as a ‘step-up’ from low level milling? You go and sit in a cafe and smoke hookah and you sit there for hours on end just looking out at the street to see what is happening and how the life is Image
This really smelled. You can imagine the smell. It escaped out onto the street and had suffused the whole area around the butchery Image
Read 15 tweets
Oct 3
Why does almost nothing in the Congo work properly? A Chinese Businessman tries to explain to a local Congolese Man
Chinese Workers in the Congo trying to build a new road complain about how incompetent their Employees are
These clips are from ‘Empire of Dust’, a Documentary about a Chinese Company hired to build a road in the Congo that is the origin of the ‘It’s all so tiresome’ meme and which has become a Cult Classic for its candid depiction of incompetence in Africa - available here:
Read 4 tweets
Sep 30
It is 2035. You are at a cafe in Vienna - the same cafe Hitler, Stalin, Trotsky and Freud went to - with your Girlfriend. She says “Crazy that the long 20th Century that started in this Cafe is finally over now that they did Remigration. The end of history but for real this time”
“It’s so insane that Fukuyama was right in the end just he was like four decades out from when History was actually going to end. What were we thinking with all that immigration? But like you iron out those contradictions in liberal democracy and turns out you’re basically fine” Image
Vienna in the roaring (20)20’s Image
Read 4 tweets
Sep 26
Large ‘Trashhole’ in an Egyptian neighbourhood, small sinkhole had opened up in the road and was overflowing with garbage. People passing by seemed unfazed by the Trashhole, cars were parked haphazardly around it. A group of older men were sat nearby on plastic garden chairs casually smoking -

Asked “what happened here?”

“There was a sinkhole and the street collapsed in on itself … maybe one year ago”

“Did they not repair it?”

“No, no money”

“Why is it filled with trash?”

“Some people just throw their trash in there to get rid of it”

“Do people ever come and clean it out?”

“No”Image
Some goats next to the Trashhole Image
Lots of trash on the streets in Egypt, have more pictures but almost feels too gratuitous to share them. Racist just by virtue of you having taken a picture of it, like you’re being ‘mean’. Needless to say this kind of Third Worldism is upsetting if you see in your own country
Read 4 tweets
Sep 23
A VISIT TO THE PYRAMIDS 🧵

Longer Thread on Thoughts on a visit to the Pyramids at Giza in Egypt
APPROACH

Counterintuitively, or maybe not, the Pyramids look most impressive from a distance, from the road as your taxi takes you to the complex entrance. There is something quite compelling in the juxtaposition between the huge necropolis structures and the ramshackle third worldism of the Cairo surrounds. The still construction projects litter-strewn expansive new General Al-Sisi highways around the base, the backdrop of the Cairo slums. The slums themselves, with their trademark ‘Egyptian’ unfinished exposed facades of cheap redbricks and sloppily applied concrete, stretching into the distance. There is a large elevated carriageway that passes over the slums on the way to the Pyramids from the North and from the car window you can look down on the bustle and then you can you look up and see the pyramids out way afar - by comparison they appear otherworldly. The ruins of a great advanced civilisation and the squatters now living in the foothills of those ruins. You could say “that is what it literally is” I don’t want to be crass or gratuitous about it, rude, I wouldn’t want to go that far some parts of Cairo are very nice, you know, but just to say this is the impression one can formImage
THE TOUTS - “For you my friend, good price”

A lot is said about how the Pyramids today are overcrowded, covered in trash, how you will be constantly hassled by touts on a visit. To a certain extent this is true but they are ‘The Pyramids’ so you persevere. I don’t think these features are so bad as to make the whole experience intolerable, you shouldn’t exaggerate, but they detract from it. You just ‘cope’ with these things during your visit

To give an example, you could easily form the impression that there is some school nearby running very oversubscribed ‘accredited tour guide’ courses the amount of ‘accredited tour guides’ who will tell you that they can offer you ‘accredited tours’ as you enter the Pyramid Complex - “for you my friend good price.” How do you become an accredited tour guide? Are there exams? These people respawn every 60 seconds or so too after you defeat one, another one will pop out of the sand at you like in a random encounter type encounter. You can brush these people off fairly easily but as a remark on the environs I think it is one of the most dense ‘being approached by ‘for you my friend good price’ touts’ places on the planet that I have ever been to, excepting maybe India

One technique is to walk around with your headphones in, or pretend to be on your phone, walk around with your chest puffed out ‘walking with purpose’. “Just be confident.” This seems to put some touts off pestering you, not all of them because Egyptians are quite rapacious (maybe even more so than Indians who this technique can quite effectively dissuade) but at least some of themImage
Read 8 tweets
Sep 19
STARMER: “HUGE MISTAKE” TO LINK CAUSE AND EFFECT

“Causality does not occur in reality.
It is a mental construction due to the repeated and constant conjunction between the event we call cause and that we call effect. This is the problem of induction” said the Prime Minister
STARMER: “I AM A HUMEAN”

“As Hume wrote in his Enquiry, that the sun will not rise tomorrow is no less intelligible a proposition and implies no more contradiction than the affirmation that it will rise. That’s my governing philosophy, I do not believe actions have consequences”
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(