derek guy Profile picture
Jul 17, 2023 10 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Getting a lot of questions regarding my criticism of Daniel Craig's clothes. Common questions: "How can you dress if you're muscular?" "Should no one wear skinny suits?" "What about a more modern silhouette?" Let's talk about some of these points. 🧵 Image
Craig often wears clothes that are too tight for his body. This causes the buttoning point to strain across his waist, the lapels to buckle away from the chest, and the coat's collar to lift off his neck. Image
His right sleeve is often two inches too short. I suspect this is because his bicep is too tight and he is right-handed. When he waves or shakes people's hands, his tight sleeve is prone to riding up on him, leaving him with too much shirt cuff. Happens often at press events.

A good sleeve should hang well, which is to say it should be relatively free from wrinkles. This comes from two things: 1) enough room for the arm inside and 2) sleeve should be pitched correctly for the arm (not too forward or back, relative to how the wearer naturally stands)
It's very much possible to get clothes made for a muscular build that's both flattering and comfortable. These garments don't pucker or pull. (Lebron's trousers bunch at the bottom bc they were tailored for dress shoes and he's wearing sneakers here, but it's otherwise good.)
These clothes will be more comfortable and allow movement. When you feel more comfortable, you will be more stylish. You will also look more at ease, so the clothes will look natural on you. You will be able to hug people without feeling like the center back seam is going to rip.
It's not that skinny suits can't be worn. It's that the cut has to work for your body. Notice Dior and Saint Laurent ads always feature a very slim model. Clothes hang right. By contrast, Craig looks like he had to squeeze into his suit. The effect is more "sausage casing."
Hedi Slimane, who helped kick off the trend for skin tight suits in the late 1990s/ early 2000s, was once the Creative Director of Saint Laurent Paris. And Yves Saint Laurent himself wore very slim suits on occasion. His body was built for it. Image
As for how you can modernize the suit, there are lots of ways: material, color, silhouette, or styling. Impossible to cover everything here, but the principles for good tailoring still apply to pics below: collar hugs neck, clean lines, no pulling, etc.

Will leave you with one more example. Both men are about the same height and have muscular builds. Craig emphasizes his build by slimming the suit until it looks like he bought the wrong size. The second still has a flattering build (V-shaped silhouette), but has clean lines

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with derek guy

derek guy Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @dieworkwear

Oct 27
I politely disagree. The modern standard for business attire is not black or navy suits with ties. It's worse; it's business casual. This gives you none of the flattering effects of tailoring or the creativity possible in genuine casualwear. 🧵
This change happened in the postwar period. After the Second World War, American civil conflict could be read off people's backs. The establishment was represented by Gregory Peck in The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit; the antiestablishment was Marlon Brando in The Wild One. Image
Against the backdrop of the Civil Rights movement, feminist movement, and anti-war protests, many people no longer wanted to be associated with the suit. This is especially true after Watergate. Even though libs wore it, the suit increasingly became coded as "conservative." Image
Read 18 tweets
Oct 24
Had this saved in my bookmarks because I wanted to answer it. Funny enough, I think Senator Sheldon Whitehouse is one of the better dressed US politicians, but only in a very specific way that will appeal to a very small group of people. 🧵
First, let's look at some photos of Senator Whitehouse. Do you think he's well-dressed? What do you think of his style? Please make your judgements before reading on, as I don't want my commentary to color your views. Image
Personally, I think he dresses well. I like his use of gabardine and tweed in addition to typical dark worsteds. I like that he wears colors such as olive, rather than only navy and grey. He has good taste in ties and layers with Shetland knits. His clothes have good proportions.
Read 22 tweets
Oct 23
There are two sensible ways to choose a fragrance and one bad way. 🧵
The first sensible way is to go to a store that sells fragrances. Spritz some on some test strips and sniff. Of the ones you like, choose two so spray on the inside of your wrist. Walk out and go about your day and see how the fragrance changes over time. Image
I personally don't buy the idea that fragrances interact with your "skin chemistry." IMO, this is a marketing gimmick masquerading as pseudo-science that sales associates use to make you feel unique and special. But it is true that a scent changes over time.
Read 16 tweets
Oct 23
The Harris Tweed Act of 1993 doesn't stop other people from producing tweed. It only regulates who gets to use the Harris Tweed Orb logo, which is a trademarked symbol. Let me give you some examples. 🧵
Below is Donegal tweed, which is called so because it's produced in the Donegal county of Ireland. Donegal tweed is most known for its signature flecks, which are created by spinning yarn with bits of felted wool, which glob onto the yarn like gum on a piano string. Image
My favorite Donegal tweed producer is Molloy & Sons, a father-and-son team that produces for some of the best English, American, and Japanese brands, as well as bespoke tailors around the world. I love the fabric for its story as much as its physical qualities.
Read 15 tweets
Oct 22
Harris Tweed is the only fabric that's legally protected. Just as Bordeaux wine has to be from the Bordeaux region of France, any fabric bearing this stamp has to be woven in the Outer Hebrides, finished in the Outer Hebrides, and made from wool dyed & spun in the Outer Hebrides. Image
The Outer Hebrides is Scotland's Wild West. In his 1973 book, WH Murray wrote that the region's most important climatic feature are the gale force winds. If you ask an islander for tomorrow's forecast, he won't say dry, wet, or sunny, but quote a figure from the Beaufort Scale. Image
Read 17 tweets
Oct 22
I disagree and will explain why you are wrong. 🧵
As men's tailoring has slowly died, many people, including Will, see things in overly broad strokes. He thinks that these outfits are the same when they couldn't be more different. He also alludes to this idea of "noblesse oblige," which refers to a specific social class. Image
To understand the difference, we have to go back to the founding of Brooks Brothers in 1818. Brooks was the most important American men's clothier, as they invented the ready-made suit and introduced American men to things such as sack suits, Shetland tweeds, polo coats, etc. Image
Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(