Dr. Phil Metzger Profile picture
Aug 8, 2023 26 tweets 8 min read Read on X
The UAP debates reminded me of a personal story about handling evidence and judging likelihood. I think this is interesting & amusing.

🧵:

On Shuttle mission STS-128 the rocket exhaust blew out 3,500 tiles from the side of the flame trench. /1 Image
2/ The bricks were smashing into each other as they blew, fragmenting into millions of pieces of all sizes. The results were devastating to the perimeter of the pad. This is what the security fence looked like about a kilometer away. See the brick fragments? 🤯 Image
3/ My research group collected an unbiased sample of fragments so NASA Marshall could use a realistic range of fragment sizes in their computer modeling of the event. This is @Ryan_N_Watkins and John Lane measuring and weighing fragments. (I’m holding the camera.) Image
4/ Ordinarily, nobody would have worried too much about the safety of the Shuttle itself since the brick release was beneath the mobile launch platform and the flame trench did its job ducting everything off to the side. Image
5/ However, we had an experimental infrared camera mounted on the top of the VAB watching the launch, and it detected a single piece of debris flying UPWARD near the Shuttle. This raised the question, could this or other fragments hit the Shuttle? Image
6/ This was a big deal because we lost Columbia when a piece of foam slammed into the leading edge of a wing and broke a hole in it, so during reentry hot plasma flowed through the hole and the metal structure failed. Loss of vehicle and crew.😢(image: ) https://t.co/2N8InQiJ0cspaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts107…
7/ When we saw a piece of debris flying near the vehicle in liftoff of STS-124, we went into emergency mode. We were given 4 days to decide if it would be safe to land the vehicle, or should it stay in orbit until a rescue mission can be launched to save the crew? Four days!
8/ I had the idea that we could start by identifying the object by measuring its ballistics. My colleague John Lane had written software to interpolate between the frames of film cameras so we could combine multiple launch pad views to make the measurement. Image
9/ The problem was that the launch pad cameras were film cameras and the shutters were not synchronized between any two cameras, so each frame of the video was staggered relative to any other camera. John’s software interpolated the frames to synchronize them post facto. Image
10/ John got the blueprints of the launch pad and also went out to the pad to verify camera locations so he could do the math combining the two views. Image
11/ From this, John calculated the three-dimensional coordinates of the debris versus time as it flew upward next to the launching vehicle. Image
12/ John also measured the diameter, elliptical elongation, and rotation rate of the debris as it flew upward. (You could see it spinning.) Image
13/ My part of the effort was to write software that did the ballistics calculations and performed “simulated annealing” to determine the best fit parameters including origin, starting velocity, and material density of the object. Image
14/ The material density that was the best fit was exactly the density of a type of foam used to fill the throats of the solid rocket boosters before launch — to keep birds and insects out of the rocket so they don’t accidentally light the propellant by heating it somehow! Image
15/ So we showed conclusively that the high flying debris was just “throat plug foam”, not a flame trench brick fragment. And since the shuttle was still going slow at that time, a foam impact could not hurt the vehicle. Whew! 😮‍💨 Well, what happened next?… 😁
16/ We got that done in two days, so we we got scheduled to present our results the next day to the program managers to say it was safe to land. We went to the launch control center and gave our presentation with one day to spare.

But then,…
17/ …some folks from another NASA center had come to the meeting and they stood up and said that our analysis was WRONG. They had proof. They had checked our math, and they said we did the trigonometry wrong when we combined the two cameras. 🤔
18/ so they said the two cameras were not pointing exactly as we thought, and therefore the two videos showing debris flying up were actually showing TWO DIFFERENT PIECES OF DEBRIS.

That’s what they said. Image
19/ Well I didn’t say this in the meeting (because the managers took our recommendation anyways and proceeded toward landing), but I thought this to myself…
20/ Okayyy, so we know somebody made a math error. Either my guy Dr. John Lane who is one of the best applied mathematicians in the world with works-class experience in photogrammetry, or your guy. One of them made a math error.

If your guy is the one who is right, then…
21/…that means there were 2 pieces of debris instead of just one. And both pieces of debris had to have exactly the same size, same elongation, same rotation rate, same rotation phase, same starting velocity, same altitude in each timestep, same density & same deceleration, AND
22/…our math error had to be the *precise* error that made the 2 pieces exactly overlap in the horizontal dimensions so it made them look like the same piece. And on top of this, the infrared camera only saw one piece, so one was hot and one was stone cold despite the flames.😜 Image
23/ On the other hand, if it was your guy who made the math error, then it was just a math error.

When you consider all that, you don’t even need to see the detailed math to know which one of them made the math error.🙃
24/ We published our results in Acta Astronautica. The preprint is available on the arXiv, here:

I was surprised one day shortly after these events when we had a staff meeting and an astronaut walking into the room...arxiv.org/pdf/0910.4357.…
25/ …and he presented the Silver Snoopy award for solving a problem that made human spaceflight safer. I felt deeply grateful for being noticed by the flight crew. Still one of the highlights of the NASA career. 🥲

But my point for now… Image
26/ …is that sometimes you can tell if math is wrong without even looking at the details of the math. I still laugh every time when I think about the extreme coincidences we were being asked to believe if our math had been wrong.😆 /end🧵

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr. Phil Metzger

Dr. Phil Metzger Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrPhiltill

Jul 18
A little background. The earlier version of this mission was the Resource Prospector Mission. When Jim Bridenstine was appointed NASA Administrator, NASA cancelled it without his permission just hours before he was sworn in. I can’t confirm this, but rumors say he was livid! /1
2/ Mr. Bridenstine was appointed by Pres. Trump, and the Trump Transition Team had people assigned to plan space policy. They were calling people for input. I got one such call and the person told me they not only WEREN’T going to cancel Resource Prospector, but instead…
3/ …they were thinking about having MANY Resource Prospector missions. We talked about what would be the scientific, engineering, and economic value of building multiple copies of the mission. There was strong interest in the lunar ice to support building a sustainable program.
Read 17 tweets
Jun 22
Ok, here’s a little thread of some of the recent, awesome fluid dynamics content on here.

1. Checkout the computer modeling of airflow over an aircraft!

1/N
2. Vortices made visible by water vapor

/2
3. Just awesome! Look how the rings pull each other toward the end.
Read 14 tweets
Jun 12
Four other problems with landing on a flat pad, even if it is a steel with water deluge.

(I’m assuming the larger size of the Super Heavy booster is why they can’t use flat concrete like ordinary booster landings.)

The four problems: … /1
1/ You need enough surface area around the base of the rocket for the gas to flow out, or the engines will choke. Imagine a cylinder extended below the rocket to the ground. The exterior of that cylinder must exceed the exit area of all the rocket nozzles that are firing. Image
2/ With more engines firing you would need longer legs to keep that area large enough. If not, then the flow will choke meaning it goes subsonic and super high temperature and pressure, comparable to inside the combustion chamber, which can destroy the nozzles or engines.
Read 9 tweets
Jun 10
If I had to guess it would be this: same exact material as the existing tiles but just a wee bit thicker. Here is why…

1/N
2/ Here is what they look like on the inside. They are something like 98% empty space, and the rest is a glass fiber. The fibers touch each other along small contacts, so thermal conductivity is very low. (The scale bar is 100 microns, or 0.1 millimeter.)
3/ This is an extreme case of a “granular material” where the grains are long fibers. I did research on shuttle tiles when I worked in a physics lab at NASA, and I did research on thermal conductivity through granular materials, so I can report something interesting about this. Image
Read 14 tweets
Jun 4
This was the same reaction the science team had during the Apollo program — surprise that bone-dry soil could have so much cohesion! See the clods in the footpad image, especially. Short 🧵 1/N
2/ Closeup image of the clods. These are likely very porous, low density clods — very fluffy material — that will easily fall apart between your fingers. Yet they are in blocky shapes somehow held together as the footpad impacted and disrupted the ground. Image
3/ The first hint of this came from the famous boot print made by @TheRealBuzz. Scientists’ jaws dropped when they saw the clean, vertical sidewalls of this print in such dry, fluffy material! How could the sidewalls stand straight without any moisture?! Image
Read 18 tweets
Apr 28
Untrue. This does touch on something related that actually happened, which people have apparently distorted and used to prop up the dumb conspiracy theory. I will explain… 1/N
2/ First I’ll tell you what I know about the videos, then the telemetry.

When I analyzed the plume effects of the lunar landings, starting in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I tracked down the original data. One of the guys on my team worked with Houston to get the videos.
3/ The originals had been converted to digital and this was more convenient for us to use, since we wouldn’t need reel-to-reel NTSC video equipment, so this is what we got. I had high resolution copies of all the landing videos. There was no lost video. It all exists.
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(