Leslie McAdoo Gordon 🇺🇸 Profile picture
Aug 20, 2023 24 tweets 5 min read Read on X
DJT GA Case. Removal - more practical issues.

So this thread will look at (1) who can file the notice to remove, (2) do each/all the defendants need to file separately to get the removal, & (3) will the whole case be taken by the federal court or just the "federal" defendants.
I knew a bit about some of these issues when this started & some I had to figure out by researching a bit. As I've noted repeatedly, removal in criminal cases does not happen that often and I have never personally handled one.
As I explained in an earlier thread, there is a federal statute that governs removal. It's not just for federal officers & most of it is for civil rather than criminal cases. The sections Meadows' lawyers are using pertain to state court criminal cases against a federal officer.
That section, which is 28 USC 1442(a), says federal officers & "any person acting under that officer" can seek the removal of state charges that relate to acts for his/her office. So, it's obvious that Trump, Meadows, & Clark were federal officers here so they can seek removal.
What about the non-federal employee defendants? Whether they can also seek removal depends on what "acting under that officer" means. It does not mean lower ranked federal officers as the plain language might suggest.
The SCOTUS has interpreted that language several times, through several iterations of the statute, to include people who are not federal employees but who are "assisting" the federal officer in his acts. Even chauffeurs have been considered covered. See Soper, 270 US 9 (1926).
In another case, (Greenwood) the Court said that those also "authorized to act with or for" federal officers were covered by the statute. The main SCOTUS case for evaluating this issue is the 2007 decision in Watson v. Phillip Morris. It is linked here: supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/…
The basic point is that the federal govt only acts thru people, & those people can be both it's own officers & others assisting them & authorized to act with or for them in carrying out their duties. So each defendant in this case who could show that could seek removal.
Each defendant in the DJT case who actually filed a notice of removal in federal court would be required to establish that point, so a closely related issue then becomes: do they each individually have to qualify and/or file to get the removal? The answer is: "No."
Unlike civil cases, where every party who can seek removal must do so for it to be effective & stay in federal court, in criminal cases if any 1 defendant successfully removes the case to federal court, EVERY defendant gets removed, even the ones couldn't seek removal themselves.
Again, the theory is that the federal court is vindicating the rights of the US (thru its employees/agents) & protecting itself from inappropriate state action & so that's the overriding factor in every issue. The SCOTUS established this rule in TN v. Davis, 100 US 257 (1879).
Several of the federal Circuits have specifically said that that principle requires that the entire case be removed if one officer successfully removes (at least the 2nd Cir, 5th Cir, 9th Cir, & 10th Cir) & numerous district courts have also held this.
The current, modern 11th Circuit has not so held but the 5th Circuit's precedent, Fowler v. Southern Bell Tel. Tel. Co., 343 F.2d 150 (1965) is binding on it because the case was decided before the split that created the 11th Circuit. So this is the law that applies in this case.
I suspect Meadows' lawyers and DJT's lawyers and perhaps many of the others conferred on these points before the case was indicted and decided who would have the best case for making the removal argument and pulling all the defendants into federal court.
The SCOTUS has not explicitly ruled on this point that I can tell, & truthfully, the reasoning used by the leading opinions (2nd & 9th Circuits) falters a bit when you consider the issue of including defendants who aren't federal officers or acting under them. What about then?
Because the cases talk about vindicating the US' interests & not letting the state impinge on them, but how are those affected if the federal officers were removed to federal court but the non-feds stayed in state court? Making them all stay together isn't the only solution.
A rule that split off the feds & left the state employees/actors or purely private actors in state court would probably not interfere w/or harm the interests of the US at all. And the cases pretty much say they are making a policy choice, not a statutory language one under 1442.
Where the case law falters a bit, the statute doesn't because in another section, 1447, Congress says that after deciding to remove, the court has power to issue "orders and process to bring before it all proper parties . . ." which typically would include all those involved.
1447 also requires the judge to remand the case back to state court if "at any time before final judgment" the court finds it no longer has federal jurisdiction. That could be for example, if all those entitled to removal as federal officers & those under them were dismissed out.
Finally, 1447 says that a remand to state court is NOT reviewable on appeal, unless the removal was based on 1442, in which case it CAN be appealed. The whole thing seems to contemplate that all defendants are removed to federal court at least initially.
So, long story short, under prevailing law, only 1 defendant in the case needs to file a notice of removal & succeed on it & the entire case will move to federal court, although as we've seen that often means it only does so for purposes of a motion to dismiss based on immunity.
And, unless the case gets remanded part way through the case, even if some of the defendants could not have independently sought removal, that is not going to ever matter. It would only matter if some people are dismissed for immunity reasons & others are not & there is a remand.
Then they could try to fight that by establishing that they are also federal officers & the court should continue to exercise its federal jurisdiction, & if they lost that argument, they could appeal it to the 11th Circuit.
If you want to read the earlier thread about the other practical issues with a removal notice (it's longer than this one I will warn you), it is here: 👇

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Leslie McAdoo Gordon 🇺🇸

Leslie McAdoo Gordon 🇺🇸 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @McAdooGordon

Jun 27
I’m late to the SCOTUS party today because we are moving today!

But I wanted to let you guys know that the decision today about the SEC is a huge win for liberty lovers. The case is Jarkesy.

The Court ruled the govt can’t impose fines on people for alleged fraud w/o a jury.
This decision is constitutional & therefore should directly affect all the other administrative agencies that have civil fraud penalty schemes too, like HUD, HHS & a bunch of others.

This has been one of the most common constitutional violations perpetrated by the federal govt.
As a young lawyer I was astonished these schemes were considered legal. It seemed obvious to me that they were unconstitutional.

The first one I worked on I was horrified because the SEC lawyers were so tyrannical- precisely because there was no check on them, judge or jury.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 14
Donation Opportunity.

(I never ask for money for myself on social media, nor do I do any affiliations.)

I wanted to bring to your attention a good cause if you have the inclination & ability to donate some money.

It’s a GiveSendGo acct. givesendgo.com/1APMediaDefama…
1st Amendment Praetorian (1AP) is/was a nonprofit organization that I represented (pro bono) prior to Jan6 & before the congressional J6 Committee. They provided security for speakers at various events before & after the 2020 election.
If you followed me then, you will know that I lodged formal written objections on behalf of 1AP to the J6 Committee because the Committee was trying to violate 1AP’s 1st Amendment right to freedom of association by demanding information & testimonies from this nonprofit.
Read 13 tweets
Jun 3
I’ve now listened to Mark Levin’s argument about SCOTUS taking DJT’s case by writ. I agree it’s at least possible, tho as Mark agrees, rare. I said this in my Daily Wire interview this morning.

The statute he cites 28 USC 1651 is right but he’s not right that it can be done now.
SCOTUS’ writ power is “in aid of” its appellate jurisdiction. So, 1. there must be a federal issue in the case, which I think there is.

But 2. there must also be a judgment that the writ is seeking review from.
I see only 2 ways that there could be such a judgment:

1. A judgment in the criminal case - which only comes once the sentence is rendered - &/or the failure of Merchan or other judges to stay any sentence; &
Read 9 tweets
Jun 1
DJT NY case.

Having gotten the actual jury instructions (thank you @KingMakerFT), it now comes clear what DJT was charged with/convicted of. Most of the reporting on this has been wrong because reporters don’t understand the law.
He was charged with 34 counts of violating NY penal section 175.10, a falsification of books & records offense that becomes a felony if you do it with intent to cover up a second crime. 👇🏻 Image
Bragg’s office said & the judge clearly instructed the jury that the second crime was NY code section 17-152, a misdemeanor conspiracy statute prohibiting promoting the election of any person by “unlawful means.” Image
Read 15 tweets
May 30
Some perspective.

1. There are multiple, well founded grounds for actual reversal on appeal in the DJT NY case. Unlike in most ordinary cases where as a practical matter there are few.
2. The conviction does not preclude DJT from running for President or serving as President.

3. Any sentence will likely be stayed pending appeal under normal legal principles, if not by Merchan, then by a courts of appeals.
4. Thus, as a practical matter, this verdict very likely does not change anything between now & Nov.

Except there will be more legal maneuvering in this case & the others.
Read 5 tweets
May 30
Free speech. In the coming years, I think we're going to see a lot of free speech cases. It is one of the most important aspects of our liberty based republic. We must defend it at all costs. Literally no other rights can be defended w/out it, at least not nonviolently.
It is vital that the Right of Center understand and insist upon having free speech. It is both a legal right against the govt (First Amendment) AND a social, civil value that makes our civilization work.
The First Amendment restricts the govt's power to suppress free speech. Most people know this in a general way - you can't be jailed for your views.

An increasingly important issue, however, involves the govt's speech/views, esp when it is in conflict with those of citizens.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(