Neurodivergent_lou Profile picture
Sep 17, 2023 9 tweets 2 min read Read on X
Ableist Things Autistic People May Internalise About Ourselves…
#Autistic #Autism #Neurodivergent #Neurodiversity #Disabled #Disability All slides have a green background with black text. All slides have my username @neurodivergent_lou in the bottom left hand corner. Slide 1: Text reads - Ableist things autistic people may internalise about ourselves.
Slide 2: Text reads- 'I can't communicate my thoughts properly. My way of communicating is not good enough.' I had so many thoughts in my brain and they just weren't coming out how I wanted them too, when I tried to communicate. I would sometimes be accused of being rude or short with people, when in fact, I was just trying to be clear and direct. I think that it is okay to recognise that I sometimes struggle to communicate but I also need to remember that communication is a two way process and the other person has equal responsibility.
Slide 3: Text reads- learn to give myself grace. 'I should just be able to control myself.' Before I knew that I was autistic, I felt like I should just be able to control my meltdowns and shutdowns, even though I really couldn't. I felt like I should be able to supress my stims. This was part of what society told me about how to act, to supress things and to just sit still. I realise now that these things were not personality flaws or things that I should 'just be able to control'. It is so much more complicated than I initially thought and I have had to learn to give myself grace.
Slide 4: Text reads - 'I am too lazy.' As an autistic person, I used to think that the reason why I couldn't get things done was because I was lazy. In reality, this was a narrative that I had internalised from society, but it was not the truth. I was actually really struggling with executive functioning and anxiety. I found it difficult to know the steps to tasks and I struggled to initiate tasks, even when I desperately wanted to do the task. It was not laziness, I was just struggling.
Slide 5: Text reads- 'I am too needy for other people.' I have often been told that my needs were too much, whether that was me asking too many questions or whether I was asking for reasonable adjustments. I realise now, even though it is still a massive battle, I am not 'too much', whatever too much even means. Part of this, for me, was recognising that I am existing in a world that fundamentally wasn't built for me. I am doing my best and am valid in who I am.
Slide 6: Text reads- 'I am a broken neurotypical person.' When I first was identified as autistic, I genuinely felt like a broken version of a non autistic person. It really hurt. Being autistic made me feel like other people were marking my life as 'less than' and 'not as worthy.' And although, I don't feel that way now, we are often drip fed the idea that autistic people were automatically less than. I have slowly been learning to recognise my autistic identity as an identity and to value myself just for who I am.
Slide 7: Text reads- 'I can't do things right.' It felt like everything that I did was not good enough and not right, no matter how much I tried. I could see other people achieving things much more easily, when things would be so difficult for me. It really made me feel confused. It made me feel like every single thing that I did, was not right and this meant that I internalised this feeling.
Slide 7: Text reads- Ableist Things Autistic People Internalise About Ourselves. I can't communicate my thoughts properly. I should just be able to control myself. I am too needy for other people. I am too lazy. I am a broken neurotypical person. I can't do things right.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Neurodivergent_lou

Neurodivergent_lou Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @neuro_lou

Jun 26
The hidden costs of being an autistic adult

#Autism #ActuallyAutistic #Disability #Neurodivergent Image
Slide 2: text reads- Autistic people often have additional costs that we have to face due to being autistic. Our autistic traits as well as living in a world that is not built for us, can make a lot of things more expensive. It does feel like a forgotten part of the autistic experience and when I see conversations around the 'hidden costs of autism' it often focuses on the hidden economical costs of autistic people on society, speaking as if we are a burden. It hurts. So anyway, this post is taking back that idea and looking at the hidden costs for autistic people.
Slide 3: text reads- There are some different reasons why autistic traits may result in hidden costs. For example  Sensory issues can make certain places (like buses or trains) inaccessible to autistic people. We may also need different sensory aids to help regulate our sensory systems. Our food needs may be specific too.  Autistic people often struggle with executive functioning which can impact our ability to remember things, complete tasks and not get distracted.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 24
Autism and Sensitivity to Sunlight #Autism #ActuallyAutistic #Neurodivergent #Disability All slides have a purple background with black text. All slides have my username @neurodivergent_lou in the bottom left hand corner. Slide 1: text reads - Autism and sensitivity to sunlight
Slide 2: text reads- For a lot of autistic people, sunlight can be absolutely unbearable in terms of the brightness. Not only can temperature be difficult, the light from sunlight can also trigger sensory overload. For lots of autistic people, sensory input can feel amplified and the light can feel incredibly intense for autistic people.
Slide 3: text reads- There is also evidence that we may have different physical responses to sensory input. As human beings when exposed to light, our eyes constrict and this, as a result, means that there is less light going into our eyes. However, research suggests that for autistic people, it takes longer for our eyes to constrict in comparison to neurotypical people. Somepeople argue that this is why autistic people experience increased light sensitivity.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 21
Autistic and Getting ‘Locked into Repetitive Thoughts… #Autism #ActuallyAutistic #Neurodivergent #Disability All slides have a pink background with black text. All slides have my username @neurodivergent_lou in the bottom left hand corner. Slide 1: text reads - Autistic and Getting 'Locked' in Repetitive Thoughts...
Slide 2: text reads- Autistic people sometimes struggle with getting stuck on repetitive thoughts and emotions. We may be completely unable to bring ourselves out of the experience of being 'locked in' to our repetitive thoughts. It may really impact our lives such as impacting our ability to sleep or to carry out the activities we enjoy.
Slide 3: text reads- It can be absolutely exhausting when one thought leads to another and before you know it, lots of time has passed and we are imagining all the worst case scenarios that can happen in the next five years. It can be hard to recognise when we get locked into this cycle of repetitive thoughts. It can feel out of control.
Read 9 tweets
Jun 14
Autistic Traits Becoming More Disabling Over Time #Autism #ActuallyAutistic #Disability #Neurodivergent All slides have a purple background with black text. All slides have my username @neurodivergent_lou in the bottom left hand corner. Slide 1: text reads - autistic traits becoming more disabling over time.
Slide 2: text reads- Sometimes autistic traits may become more disabling over time. It is often assumed that someone's capacity and support needs always stay the same over time, but for many (but not all!) autistic people, this changes over time. This can be due to, for example, autistic burnout or change in life context. Sometimes, there is no clear reason as to why an autistic person’s capacity or support needs change over time.
Slide 3: text reads - There has been some periods in my life where I have managed with minimal support. However, at other times, I have struggled so much that I couldn’t get out of bed, where I have been struggling to eat, drink or communicate.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 12
Autistic traits passed off as being ‘too sensitive’ #Autism #ActuallyAutistic #Neurodiverent All slides have a light background with black text. All slides have my username @neurodivergent_lou in the bottom left hand corner. Slide 1: text reads - Autistic traits passed off as being too sensitive.
Slide 2: text reads- I, like many autistic people, have often been described as being 'too sensitive'. However I think sometimes autistic traits are passed off as being too sensitive and being 'too sensitive' is often seen as a character flaw in society. I am much better now at leaning into and being at peace with the autistic traits which society has labelled 'too sensitive.' This post describes how autistic traits are sometimes passed off as someone being 'too sensitive'.
Slide 3: text reads- Not too sensitive, experiencing emotional dysregulation. Autistic people are often labelled as 'too sensitive' when we experience emotional dysregulation. Experiencing emotional dysregulation can mean that we experience emotions incredibly intensely and are then unable to regulate these emotions. For example, the feeling of sadness can feel completely all consuming and it may feel like we will never feel happy again.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 4
Autistic and Can’t Regulate Temperature #Autism #ActuallyAutistic #Neurodivergent #Disability All slides have a yellow background with black text. All slides have my username @neurodivergent_lou in the bottom left hand corner. Slide 1: text reads - autistic and can’t regulate.
Slide 2: text reads- Autistic people can be hypersensitive to hot and cold temperatures. This may mean that we feel the cold and the hot more intensely than non-autistic people. It can become quickly overwhelming and can trigger sensory issues. The feel of, for example, sweat on skin may feel completely unbearable to an autistic person.
Slide 3: text reads- Autistic people can be hypersensitive to hot and cold temperatures. This may mean that we feel the cold and the hot more intensely than non-autistic people. It can become quickly overwhelming and can trigger sensory issues. The feel of, for example, sweat on skin may feel completely unbearable to an autistic person.
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(