Tinashe Mukogo Profile picture
Oct 3, 2023 24 tweets 9 min read Read on X
1/24 OK's results are out, and they are not pretty.

OK blames the environment & competition from informal traders.

But maybe there is another a hidden issue that has been a blind spot for OK for over 10 years — Capital Allocation.

A thread🧵 with background & analysis. Image
2/24 For large companies it is IMPOSSIBLE to maintain a competitive edge if you don't do Capital Allocation well.

Harvard defines Capital Allocation below but hyper simplified Capital Allocation is how a company decides to invest or spend its money to generate returns. Image
3/24 Generally there are 4 ways to allocate capital.

1. Invest in organic growth
2. Mergers & Acquisitions
3. Strengthen the Balance Sheet (e.g. pay off debts)
4. Return cash to shareholders (e.g. Dividends)

I think OK may have had some missteps on the above. Image
4/24 The first capital allocation decision that is hard to understand is the interim dividend.

The interim dividend was US$ 0.13 per share & the final dividend was 6.5 times smaller US$0.02 per share.

This is unusual. Interim dividends are usually smaller than final dividends. Image
5/24 Interim is like halftime in a football match. You may be doing well but you don't know what may happen in the 2nd half.

So normally companies leave some buffer to avoid paying too much cash as an interim dividends halfway through the year.

In the past that is what OK did. Image
6/24 Below are OK's USD dividends. Only in 2015 was the interim bigger than the final (by a small amount).

This year it was 6.5x bigger 🤯.

This probably means they couldn't really afford to pay the $0.13c/share ($1.6m in total) at interim.

A capital allocation misstep? Image
7/24 The challenge with paying out too much dividend is effectively you are giving away the biggest advantage a large company has against informal traders - CAPITAL.

Especially in Zimbabwe where there isn't much lending to informal traders, capital is a massive advantage. Image
8/24 OK knew it was having a capital-intensive year with buying Food lovers, launching their pharmacies & a big store refurbishment program.

In 2016 management decided to pause on paying dividends to invest in the business.

Wouldn't it have made sense to do the same this year? Image
9/24 Had OK not paid dividends & saved capital, it could have allocated capital to strengthening the balance sheet by paying creditors quicker countering the issue they now are facing with shorter credit terms from suppliers. Image
10/24 They could have paid down debt or invested the $1.6milion elsewhere.

Even OK acknowledges that one of their constrains is "High interest rates and limited access to funding affecting capital expenditure and investment plans" Image
11/24 Moving on from the dividend, at least philosophically it is good that OK is being more adventurous e.g. acquiring Food Lovers, starting the Pharmacy business.

I think OK in the past could have been more aggressive in investing in new business opportunities. Image
12/24 Below is a comparison between Innscor and OK looking at major transactions between 2009 - 2022.

Innscor on the right. OK on the left

Innscor has continually invested in new and diverse opportunities. OK has remained the same. Image
13/24 I believe Innscor's ability to allocate capital to new opportunities has helped to to grow more and be more resilient as shown in the below.

I actually think OK's revenue has declined in real terms as the $451m is derived from the average official rate. Image
14/24 OK could have diversified while remaining true to its retail core.

A common trend is that businesses where the shareholders are actively involved such as Innscor tend to be more ambitious.

OK's major shareholders are passive investors Datvest, NSSA, Old Mutual. Image
15/24 Instead, OK paid out over $30m of dividends between 2010-2017 more than the market cap of many listed companies on the ZSE. Image
16/24 OK is now struggling with competition from small players & unfortunately their new Pharmacy business is just as exposed to fierce competition.

The number of pharmacies has increased from 287 in 2011 to 933 in 2020.

Was this the best opportunity to chase?

Time will tell. Image
17/24 OK has placed a lot of blame on the operating environment and a lot of their concerns are valid.

But it will always sounds strange hearing Goliath complain that the fight against about David is not fair. Image
18/24 To succeed OK is going to need to find opportunities and allocate capital extremely well.

This is not easy because capital allocation is a skill that you don't really need to excel at until you are in executive management. Image
19/24 Overall, I hope OK can navigate successfully and this challenging season actually helps drive them into a period of innovation that will see OK transforming into a broader and more ambitious FMCG retail group. Image
20/24 Disclaimer: These thoughts are based on my interpretation of publicly available information and so I may be missing something.

Please comment let me know what you think.

Opposing views are more than welcome! Image
21/24 I hope you found this insightful. If you did please leave a comment or repost this thread.

I write on the finance & strategy behind the most important companies impacting Africa + 🌍.

Follow me @tmukogo for more.

Repost or Comment on the first tweet below if you can.
22/24 if you found the above interesting you should definitely check out these threads as well.

Recommendation 1 of 3!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tinashe Mukogo

Tinashe Mukogo Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @tmukogo

Sep 30
Chinese stocks are currently flying.

If you want to make money on the stock maket you need to understand market sentiment.

Here is a how I lost thousands of dollars on Chinese stocks even when the companies I invested in were fantastic. Image
The last few years, Chinese stocks have taken a beating.

Take Alibaba for example, which once traded at about $300 per share but until recently was worth well under $100. Image
A lot of other stocks have fallen from their heights (think GameStop) but the difference is that companies like Alibaba were not "meme" stocks where the stock price is held up by hype.

These were great companies with solid fundamentals.

Even if you look at the stock ratings for Alibaba , we nearly every analyst has rated it a buy, but the stock price was just not popping.Image
Read 10 tweets
Sep 10
1/18 To analyse the impact of Starlink on Econet Wireless Zimbabwe (EWZ) we first need a recap of the telecommunications (telco) business model in its simplest form.

Let's unpack this and then later how Starlink comes in.

The telco business model is made up of four key sequential, simultaneous, and repeating cycles.

🏦 Borrow 🛰️ Build 🤳 Sell 🤝 Service.

This is a simplification but let me explain each cycle and then illustrate with MTN.Image
2/18 The first thing telcos need to do is BORROW because telecoms is a capital-intensive business and so self-funding is difficult.

Once you've borrowed, you BUILD (and maintain) the network and infrastructure that people will use (think base stations, etc.).

After that, you SELL people access to the network so they can make calls and use data etc. and with the sales you generate profits.

Then, with those profits, you SERVICE the loans (i.e., pay back the banks) and since you've serviced the loans, you can then BORROW more money, and the cycle repeats.
3/18 🏦 Borrow 🛰️ Build 🤳 Sell 🤝 Service 🔂

As long as all four cycles work well, you can repeat this continuously and make loads of money.

Let's look at MTN's financial statements for a concrete illustration. Image
Read 18 tweets
Aug 28
1. This is a company you need to watch.

TDW is shaking up Zimbabwe's property industry with millions in USD revenue, over 70% annual growth, and hundreds of homes built.

Let's unpack, the property industry, why TDW is growing so fast and the company's potential and risks.

🧵 Image
2. Troika Design Workshop (TDW) is an architectural design studio that also owns a property development business called Turnbury Property Developers.

The company was founded in 2015 and is run by a team of young professionals with an average age of 33. Image
3. TDW is a private company, but they provided me financial information and insights on their strategy.

Note that this is not a promotional post. I am not being paid anything.

I am covering TDW as part of “The Prelist”. For more info on the Prelist see below 👇.
Read 28 tweets
Aug 27
1. Truworths filed for corporate rescue last week, meaning the company that made millions just over 10 years ago now can't pay its bills.

There will be many winners and losers.

Let’s unpack the losers, starting with Mega Market - one of the most fascinating companies in Zim. Image
2. If you are in Zimbabwe and don’t know Mega Market, you should pay attention.

It is one of the most interesting private companies in the country.

It is run by 38-year-old entrepreneur Shiraan Ahmed and is based primarily out of Mutare, breaking the conventional Harare bias. Image
3. Its core business is manufacturing and distributing fast-moving consumer goods (think rice, salt, flour), but in recent years, it has kinda also become an Investment Firm.

Yes, the company that trades rice also trades listed stocks.

Mega Market may be a fitting name.
Read 17 tweets
Jul 11
OK Zimbabwe’s results were recently released, and sales went up by 29% but also went down by 29%!

Confusing?

OK's is a great case study in how you can analyse financial performance.

Let's unpack OK's Results “The Good, The Bad and The Confusing”

🧵 THREAD🧵 Image
Let’s start with the confusing.

Normally, if you have a business selling item X. If you sell 29% more units of X, you expect the sales in monetary terms to be about 29% more.

In this case it is the complete opposite. Why?

Hyperinflation accounting. Image
Hyperinflation accounting tries to adjust financials for the impact of inflation by using data such as consumer price indexes (CPIs).

CPIs measure changes in the price of a basket of household goods and services which in theory give you a measure of inflation. Image
Read 24 tweets
Jun 21
1/12 Entrepreneurs and business owners.

Here is a wild story about how FedEx's Founder kept the company going when it couldn't pay its bills.

This may just encourage you. Let's unpack. 🧵 Image
2/12 The year is 1973, and FedEx is making some progress but also racking up huge losses, so much so that the people who backed it when it was founded in 1971 now have doubts about the business. Image
3/12 This is bad news for Fred Smith, the founder, because the company is so stretched that it only has $5,000 in its bank account.

To make it worse, they have a $24,000 bill for fuel costs that needs to be settled urgently. Image
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(