Bari Weiss Profile picture
Oct 30, 2023 7 tweets 2 min read Read on X
If you thought that the Hitler-loving reporter in Gaza was the only scandal @nytimes, think again. 🧵
A few days ago, the paper published this story about the atmosphere in Saudi Arabia post-Oct. 7 massacre.

In it, you hear from Sultan Alamer, a grad student in Harvard's Center for Mideast Studies.

nytimes.com/2023/10/26/wor…
Alamer is presented as an expert by the Times. But it took about five seconds for me to discover that he is also a person that celebrates the mass murder of Jews.

Here is Alamer on Twitter on October 7: "what a sweet day." Image
In 2021 @nytimes published this flattering profile of a professor named Refaat Alareer, praising him for his decision to teach Israeli poets:

nytimes.com/2021/11/16/wor…
The Times also published an oped by this person:

nytimes.com/2021/05/13/opi…
Here is Refaat Alareer joking about whether or not an Israeli baby, burned alive in an oven, was cooked "with or without baking powder." Image
What’s going on here? Pretty simple. Institutions are a reflection of their people. This is what happens when a newspaper is overrun by reporters and editors, trained at elite schools, who have embraced a “decolonial” worldview. Reader, beware.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Bari Weiss

Bari Weiss Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @bariweiss

Oct 30, 2023
A vibeshift?
An awakening from woke?
A political realignment?

Three stories just up in @TheFP on this theme:

🧵
The Black Activist Trying to Save Oakland from ‘Phony’ Woke Progressives

@SenecaSpeaks21 says his city and its leadership are broken. He has a plan to fix both.

Story by @davidvolodzko:

thefp.com/p/black-activi…
‘This Is Not the America I Knew’

The recent wave of nearly 130,000 migrants to New York City is angering Hispanic residents—enough to make them consider voting red.

Reporting by @Olivia_Reingold:

thefp.com/p/hispanic-imm…
Read 4 tweets
Dec 16, 2022
The old regime at Twitter governed by its own whims and biases and it sure looks like the new regime has the same problem. I oppose it in both cases. And I think those journalists who were reporting on a story of public importance should be reinstated.
I have never been swayed by the "Twitter is a private company" argument. And I'm left wondering, as I wrote yesterday @TheFP, whether any unelected individual or clique should have this kind of power over the public conversation. You can read it here: thefp.com/p/why-we-went-…
I don't need to dwell on how mesmerizing it is to watch those journalists who defended—even celebrated!—Twitter's bans under the old regime under the guise of "safety" now call it censorship, and say it infringes on freedom of expression. It did then as it does now.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 12, 2022
THREAD: THE TWITTER FILES PART FIVE.

THE REMOVAL OF TRUMP FROM TWITTER.
1. On the morning of January 8, President Donald Trump, with one remaining strike before being at risk of permanent suspension from Twitter, tweets twice.
2. 6:46 am: “The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!” Image
Read 47 tweets
Dec 9, 2022
THREAD: THE TWITTER FILES PART TWO.

TWITTER’S SECRET BLACKLISTS.
1. A new #TwitterFiles investigation reveals that teams of Twitter employees build blacklists, prevent disfavored tweets from trending, and actively limit the visibility of entire accounts or even trending topics—all in secret, without informing users.
2. Twitter once had a mission “to give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.” Along the way, barriers nevertheless were erected.
Read 31 tweets
Jun 16, 2022
My friend @AbigailShrier broke open the story of medically transitioning children. She was way ahead of the curve, and for that she paid a price. People lied about her. They smeared her. Target banned her book. The ACLU's most prominent lawyer called for it to be banned.
Today in The New York Times, @emilybazelon validates the groundbreaking reporting she did for Common Sense featuring Dr. Erica Anderson and Dr. Marci Bowers, who bravely blew the whistle on 'sloppy' care.
Abigail's Common Sense story was published in October 2021. Her book was published in June 2020. The lag between independent journalists and the legacy press on important, knotty subjects like this is a major why the upstarts are flourishing.
Read 5 tweets
Oct 17, 2021
It's been quite a weekend...
Last night I was deeply honored to receive the Daniel Pearl Award from @LAPressClub and @yudapearl. This is the speech I gave: forward.com/news/israel/47…
I was thrilled, also, to finally sit down with my friend @benshapiro for his Sunday Special. Watch our conversation here:
And thank you, @brianstelter, for having me on @ReliableSources. You can listen to the whole thing here: cnn.com/audio/podcasts…
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(