Bethany S. Mandel Profile picture
Nov 5, 2023 4 tweets 1 min read Read on X
I was a super far leftie in college. I took a class called The Politics of Protest and my thesis for the paper I had to write was that the intifada was a valid protest movement. I did a lot of research, including reading @AlanDersh ‘s Case for Israel.
I ended up turning in a paper about how Zionism was a protest movement. (Which tbh was a real stretch but when you have a total political realignment in one semester you run out of time for another thesis and the time to do the research.)
It was pretty exciting for me personally to do a segment with him tonight with @kilmeade. I know you’re supposed to play it cool, but it was a really exciting moment to be split screen with Dersh defending Israel. Full circle kind of moment.
@kilmeade Here’s the clip.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Bethany S. Mandel

Bethany S. Mandel Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @bethanyshondark

Jun 3
In honor of D-Day, buckle in for the story of how a Jewish soldier from Pittsburgh ended up in a Nazi mass grave, and how through dogged determination, will be buried with full military honors in Normandy later this month. Image
Lieutenant Nathan Baskind, of Pittsburgh, PA, came ashore on Utah Beach on D-Day with the 899th Tank Destroyer Battalion. Engaged in fierce battle, he went ahead of his troops to reconnoiter their position in the Battle of Cherbourg June 23, 1944. He was never heard from again.
A search of contemporaneous German war records revealed that Baskind was ambushed and shot, taken prisoner by the German army, and sent to a Luftwaffe field hospital. Later on the 23rd, Nathan Baskind died, and was buried together with 23 German soldiers in a mass grave.
Read 24 tweets
Dec 5, 2023
Nine years ago, after three teenage boys were lynched, I said we should have nuked Hamas and eliminated the threat. Hamas went on to rape and murder over a thousand people. But to BrieBrie, they were just having a picnic.
Hamas should have been smashed a long time ago. Child killing is nothing new. amp.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun…
If you’re out here Holocaust denying and rape apologizing in 2023, you’re going to have to do better than a hyperbolic nine year old tweet @briebriejoy.
Read 4 tweets
Oct 27, 2023
PERSONAL REQUEST: I spent the day with Amit yesterday on the Hill. She left her husband and three kids in Israel, all of whom just went through the worst trauma imaginable (35 hours hiding in silence as their front yard was used by Hamas as a staging area in Kfar Aza. Image
She left them because her friend Avihai needed help coming to talk to Members of Congress to beg them to help secure the release of his wife and three children. Her kids are all best friends with his. Image
She told me how her husband’s businesses and her job are gone. About how their home was destroyed and her family are living in a shelter. They’ve got literally nothing left from the house except underwear they were able to go back to get ten days later.
Read 12 tweets
Oct 14, 2023
Really disappointed in this statement from @Ch_JesusChrist. There was no eruption of violence. There was a massacre of civilians. Babies were murdered. I expected better from the Church. Image
After 9/11 President Gordon B. Hinckley said.

“Today has been a day that will be remembered always in the annals of our beloved nation,” he said. “It has been a day when the ugly face of hatred has shown itself with terror, death and destruction. It has been a day when uncounted numbers of the innocent have perished and their loved ones have been left to sorrow. Many have been wounded, and this, our nation, has been seriously injured and insulted.”
When it’s the Jews I guess we don’t talk about the ugly face of terror. Just wishy washy statements about peace. There is no peace possible with people who behead babies.
Read 4 tweets
Sep 27, 2023
Brought my dog to the groomer yesterday and in the shopping center a bunch of high school kids on lunch break were congregating. Most of them appeared to be smoking pot (based on what I smelled) and I observed two physical fights (one was a guy whaling on a girl).
And I find myself wondering: is this the crucial socialization I’m always that my homeschooled kids will be missing if I don’t enroll them in public school?
Here’s the thing: there are only so many waking hours in a day. Children are influenced by who they spend them with. Some influences are better than others.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 27, 2023
Live photos from the rally in Montgomery county with parents demanding an opt-out on LGBT curriculum. The @MCPS BOE refused to let them in the building, saying there were “safety concerns.”

Democrat Councilwoman Kristin Mink said “This issue has put some Muslim families on the same side of an issue as white supremacists and outright bigots.”

Who are the bigots here?
I met @NataliFGonzalez over the weekend (very nice, liked a lot!) and I told her the last county council knew me well because of the masks and vaccine mandates. She asked me what issues animated me now, given that COVID is over.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(