Emily♡ Profile picture
Jan 23 10 tweets 3 min read Read on X
I asked autistic and ADHD people what challenges they face at work and out of approx 1500 responses (thank you!!), these were the most common challenges, in order.👇🏻 Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work.

I am not surprised that navigating colleague relationships, the sensory environment and unclear instructions/communication took the top three places. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: navigating colleague relationships and interactions; the sensory environment; unclear instructions or communication; colleagues and managers not understanding autism/ADHD; distractions and interruptions; changes in routine.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: unwritten expectations or rules; background noise e.g. printers/phones/chatting; exhaustion from masking; focusing/concentrating; frequent burnout; becoming bored quickly.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: meetings - icebreakers, team-building tasks, interrupts workflow; frequent overwhelm; open-plan offices; doing tasks with no purpose/interest/reasoning/variety; communicating in a socially acceptable manner; managing a 9-5 schedule.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: remembering things/forgetfulness; time management; fluorescent lighting; ableism in the workplace; prioritising, organisation and planning; office politics.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: having a different way of learning things; lack of motivation; needing longer to process things; being misunderstood due to different communication; staying on task; getting started on a task and finishing it.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: bullying; being on time; being consistent with productivity; accessing reasonable adjustments; managing emotional dysregulation; meeting deadlines.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: processing verbal instructions and information; multi-tasking and transitioning between tasks; hierarchy/authority that doesn’t make sense; unclear or short-notice deadlines; waking up early due to poor sleep; running out of energy quickly.
Challenges autistic and ADHD people face at work. The title ‘challenges’ at top of page followed by six white boxes each containing a phrase: small talk; being accused of not being a team player; getting back on task after interruptions; expectation to attend office events/parties; managing anxiety and meltdowns; having to make and answer phone calls.
Stay tuned for part two of what people said would help them at work and a blog post summarising all this! ✌🏻

If you liked this thread, my book is available for pre-order now! 🫶 linktr.ee/girlunmasked
A photo of my book Girl Unmasked: how uncovering my autism saved my life by Emily Katy Out 28 March with the text ‘pre-order GIRL UNMASKED now - link in my bio!’

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Emily♡

Emily♡ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ItsEmilyKaty

Sep 10
Today is World Suicide Prevention Day and here are some things I would like to talk about.

#WorldSuicidePreventionDay Graphic reads: September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day
The statistics around autism and suicide are sad. Autism & suicide. Autistic people are significantly more likely to die by suicide than the general population - research suggests 7 times more likely, with up to 35% of autistic people considering suicide and 25% attempting suicide. (Autistica; Kirby et al., 2019; Newell et al., 2023)
Research around ADHD and suicide show similar devastating facts. ADHD & suicide. Adults with ADHD are 5 times more likely than those without ADHD to have attempted suicide. One study found 23.5% of women with ADHD have attempted suicide compared to 3.3% of women without ADHD. (Fuller-Thomson et al., 2020).
Read 13 tweets
Jul 20
The misdiagnosis of autistic distress in the mental health system. A thread. 🧵

When I am asked why I wrote Girl Unmasked, I say that I was angry. Which is true...
I was angry at finding myself sectioned on a psychiatric unit at the age of 16, at the doctor there telling me I just had high social anxiety not autism, at the fact they described my autistic meltdowns as ‘hysteric attacks when she doesn’t get her own way’.
My anger only grew when I discovered how many other autistic people were struggling like I was with being autistic in a world which doesn’t accept us very much, ending up stuck in a mental health system where our autism wasn’t being recognised or understood.
Read 18 tweets
May 6
Autistic burnout 🧠 - a thread. A graphic with the title autistic burnout on a white rectangle on a pastel coloured background.
What is autistic burnout? What is autistic burnout? Autistic burnout is extreme long-term exhaustion and overwhelm triggered over time, where the stress of coping with life’s demands exceeds the autistic person’s ability to cope. The individual may lose the ability to carry out every-day tasks, lose skills they usually have, and experience increased sensory difficulties.
Autistic burnout is different to work burnout and burnout that everyone experiences.

Research by @dora_raymaker @AutismAdulthood: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P…
Research has shown that autistic burnout is different to work burnout and the burnout that everyone experiences. “Autistic burnout is a syndrome conceptualised as resulting from chronic life stress and a mismatch of expectations and abilities without adequate supports. It is characterised by pervasive, long-term (typically 3+ months) exhaustion, loss of function, and reduced tolerance to stimulus.” — Dr Dora Raymaker
Read 12 tweets
Apr 23
Research suggests that 80% of autistic people experience mental health problems throughout their life, and around 40% of suicides are estimated to be autistic people.

What are some of the reasons why this is the case? 💭🧵 Why do so many autistic people struggle with their mental health?
The statistics are sad.

(Autistica, undated; Cassidy et al. 2022) Research suggests that…80% of autistic people experience mental health problems throughout their life, and around 40% of suicides are estimated to be autistic people. (Cassidy et al., 2022). This may be because of...
1. Lack of recognition.

(McCrossin et al., 2022) Lack of recognition. There are many autistic people who aren’t recognised, particularly those of marginalised genders or from minority ethnic groups.   80% of autistic girls remain undiagnosed after the age of 18 and are diagnosed later than their male counterparts. This can have a detrimental effect on their mental health.
Read 12 tweets
Feb 25
To @MrDavidScales (and all schools restricting toilet access),

As well as health issues affecting ALL young people…

Know that your toilet policies are not inclusive of neurodivergent children (though also everyone for that matter). For several reasons. 👇🏻 /1
Autistic students often struggle using the toilet at busy times due to sensory needs. School toilets become very cramped and loud during break-times.

Hand dryers in particular would send me into sensory overload in the school toilets. /2
Autistic people can struggle with interoception (identifying bodily sensations), so often don’t know they need the loo until desperate.

I remember seeing a peer wet themselves during class because they weren’t allowed to go. They were humiliated for a basic bodily need. /3
Read 10 tweets
Feb 17
A highly requested addition to my neurodiversity mindmaps - PDA (Pathological Demand Avoidance), or alternatively ‘Pervasive Drive for Autonomy’. Mindmap titled PDA ‘Pathological demand avoidance’ with eight circles which read: a profile of autism also known as pervasive drive for autonomy; a need for control/autonomy, driven by (often unseen) anxiety; avoidance of demands and daily tasks, even those they enjoy; perceived demands or control triggers anxiety, fight/flight and distress; likely to show obsessive or controlling behaviours e.g. of others; survival instinct for autonomy overrides other instincts such as bodily needs; uses excuses, distraction, negotiation, lying etc to avoid demands; low-arousal approach, trust, choices, n...
As @PDASociety state: ‘recognition of PDA is currently inconsistent…however, a PDA profile can, and should, be taken into consideration when undertaking autism assessments…when assessing and diagnosing, clinicians can add appropriate descriptive terms to an autism diagnosis…
…such as a ‘PDA profile’ or ‘characterised by extreme demand avoidance.’ However, whether this happens is variable between different teams and clinicians.

@PDASociety have useful guidance and letter templates on their website to support families through the diagnostic process.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(