Tymofiy Mylovanov Profile picture
Apr 12 17 tweets 6 min read Read on X
The war in Ukraine starts to escalate.

Evidence:

1. On April 11 Russia destroyed the largest power plant in Kyiv 1/
Russia used the latest X-69 to strike at Trypillia TPP, which more advanced than "Kinzhal"

X-69 is a subsonic cruise missile with the range of about 400 km 2/ Image
2. On April 11, Russia attacked two Ukrainian underground gas storage facilities

Bloomberg reports that this attack propelled Europe’s prices: European gas futures rose as much as 9.5% 3/

bloomberg.com/news/articles/…
3. In addition, Russia damaged a large number of power facilities across the country.

Bloomberg: Moscow used more than 80 missiles and drones, U.S. envoy says situation is 'dire' 4/reuters.com/world/europe/r…
3. These attacks with dozens or hundreds of missiles and drones have been steadily increasing

The UN Assistant General Secretary: We are appalled by the increase in civilian casualties as a result of these relentless attacks.  5/ Image
4. According to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, at least 126 civilians were killed and 478 injured in March.

This is a 20 per cent increase compared with the previous month.6/

dppa.un.org/en/mtg-sc-9600…
5. In March, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights also recorded a total of 12 medical facilities and 32 educational facilities destroyed or damaged. 7/
6. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant was attacked for the first time since November 2022. Russia accuses Ukraine, Ukraine accuses Russia of the attacks 8/ bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur…
Gen. Christopher G. Cavoli, the top U.S. military commander in Europe, warned that Ukraine could lose the war with Russia if the U.S. does not send more ammunition to Ukrainian forces quickly. 9/

nytimes.com/2024/04/10/us/…
7. Frontline Ukrainian forces are rationing artillery shells due to lack of a reliable Western supplier, allowing Russian troops to outfire them 5-to-1, a ratio that could soon increase to 10-to-1 without additional U.S. aid. 10/
8. Russia has reconstituted its army faster than initial U.S. estimates, increasing frontline troop strength by 15% to 470,000 and expanding the conscription age limit. Russia plans to expand its military to 1.5 million troops. 11/

politico.com/news/2024/04/1…
9. Russian missile attacks on Ukraine's energy system, bombardment of Kharkiv, and advances along the front are stoking fears that Ukraine's military is nearing a breaking point. 12/

Western officials say Ukraine is at its most fragile moment in over two years of war.

Ukrainian officials don’t comment on the “breaking point” but increasingly voice alarming pleas for weapons and air defense 13/
There is a risk of Ukrainian defense collapse which could enable Russia to make a major advance for the first time since the early stages of the war. The next few months will be Ukraine's toughest test. 14/
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy urged his country's allies to make good on their promises of military aid on Thursday, particularly in the form of desperately needed air defence systems as Russia scales up its air strikes 15/

reuters.com/world/europe/u…
So, in short, Ukraine is running out of air defense and weapons, and Russia is taking advantage of it.

Russia can break through unless the West overcomes its political infighting and dysfunctionality to provide support to Ukraine

16/
Democracies are messy, I often hear, but it is the best system. True, but this mess currently makes democracies unable to effectively address Russian threat. It looks more and more like a lack of leadership rather than the usual weakness of democracies. 17X

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tymofiy Mylovanov

Tymofiy Mylovanov Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Mylovanov

Jun 10
Mustafa Nayem, the head of Ukrainian reconstruction agency, resigned today on the first day of the Ukraine recovery conference in Berlin

The media and politicians say that’s a major scandal - a top official resignation - well timed for the conference.

I disagree 1/
I know Mustafa well and some might say we are friends. I certainly view him as my friend.

He is most know as a top investigative journalist who started the 2013-2014 revolution against the pro-Russian President Yanukovych 2/

ft.com/content/22cea3…
In the fall of 2013, Yanukovych abruptly pulled out from the EU association negotiations and opted out to join a trade union with Russia.

Mustafa triggered the protests by posting in FB a call to get together on a major square in Kyiv. 3/ Image
Read 17 tweets
Jun 10
Ukraine has 22 out of EU’s 34 critical minerals.

If Russia seizes the territory with these materials, they will go to China

This is what these materials are 1/
Rare Earth Elements. They are chemical elements essential in the manufacturing of a wide range of high-tech products and advanced technologies, including:
2/
1. **Electronics**: Smartphones, computers, and other electronic devices.
2. **Green Technologies**: Wind turbines, electric vehicle batteries, and other renewable energy technologies.
3/
Read 8 tweets
Jun 9
Brussel: Ukraine ready for EU membership talks, FT reports

The EU Commission recommends starting EU accession talks with Ukraine and Moldova this month, hastening the decision due to Hungary's upcoming EU presidency. But I believe Hungary will try to delay and derail. 1/ Image
One ongoing concern for Ukraine's EU application is the perceived and actual corruption, along with the influence of oligarchs on politics. In my view, this concern is somewhat unjustified, but it remains a reality. 2/

buff.ly/3RltNDX
The commission now asserts that Ukraine meets criteria such as anti-corruption measures and restrictions on political lobbying and the EU membership negotiations can go ahead. Good news! 3/
Read 15 tweets
Jun 8
I was so tired that I basically slept whenever there was a chance. My colleagues, instead, hiked as much as they could. This is them coming back from a hike to a mountain, while I am waking up and looking at the sun rising from my balcony. 8/ Image
There are interactive animal parks. We get a ticket and a pack of food to feed the animals. This goat was getting upset at me. It thought that I was giving out the food unevenly. So, it kind off first made a scene and laid down, but later when I got back to it almost attacked me/
The sunsets were breathtaking. This is a no filters pic. 10/ Image
Read 18 tweets
Jun 8
A professor of neuroscience asked me: How do you cope with wartime trauma in Ukraine?

I can only speak for myself. This is what I think helps me most

1. Almost every day I take long walks listening to music. I forget about the world and my body gets a mild workout 1/
2. I immerse myself in nature at least once a week. I really enjoy watching animals, playing with and feeding them.

3. Then, I spend meaningful time with family and friends 2/ Image
I am a civilian, leading a top university in Ukraine - Kyiv School of an economics. So I am probably in much better conditions than many others. My job is meaningful, there is a sense of urgency and unity, and our team is great. That all really helps. 3/ Image
Read 8 tweets
Jun 8
NATO scales back ambition for🇺🇦 aid

Zelenskiy: it's for 🇺🇦 to determine my legitimacy, not Putin

Like Russia, 🇺🇦 is recruiting from prisons

France, allies to ‘finalize’ plan to send military trainers to 🇺🇦

We’re in 1938 now’

Biden vows to back 🇺🇦 ‘completely’ 1/ Image
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg is modifying plans for a Ukraine aid package after facing pushback from alliance members. Instead of a five-year, $100 billion fund per year, the new proposal asks countries to maintain current support.
2/

Under the revised plan, allies would commit to spending at least €40 billion ($43 billion) per year on lethal and non-lethal aid for Ukraine, in line with average annual contributions since Russia's 2022 invasion 3/
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(