Tarek Loubani Profile picture
Apr 26 15 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Credible reports are emerging LHSC will fire its CEO(s) next week and hire Altaf Stationwala. Don't recognize that name? Stationwala engaged in anti-Palestinian racism when he suspended Dr. Ben Thomson for advocating against dehumanization of Palestinians. A deep dive in this 🧵 Image
I suspect that because Stationwala bungled Dr. Ben Thomson's suspension and put Mackenzie on the hook for potentially millions, that he is now trying to make an exit or is being shown the door. I agree: #FireStationwala . But LHSC?? No thanks. We've had enough CEO scandal here.
Recap: Dr. Ben Thomson was targeted by an organized harassment campaign based on his fact-checking of dehumanizing atrocity propaganda that is now thoroughly debunked. Stationwala suspended him personally. I wrote about it at the time, but there's more now
Gil Nimni, David Jacobs and other doctors were part of a highly organized harassment campaign fomented in private groups and involving pressure orgs like CIJA and B'nai B'rith. One member, Brian Berger, urged his colleagues to lie so as to present a pretext for suspension.

B'nai B'rith and CIJA both wrote letters to Stationwala, with B'nai B'rith making an implicit threat to funding by forwarding the message to him via the Foundation.

These attacks on a human rights defender found a receptive audience in Stationwala. He engaged the complainants and appears to have sided with them without any investigation, writing a "long email" to Allan Kagal, one of the instigators of the harassment campaign. Image
We've seen all of this before. But this is where it gets really weird. Thanks to Dr. Ben Thomson suing Gil Nimni and Mackenzie Health, we already know a lot - and will likely find out a hell of a lot more soon. Special thanks to the court clerk who emailed me the files. Image
When he was hauled into a meeting with his bosses, Dr. Thomson wrote a brilliant letter, clairvoyantly explaining where this dehumanization would go - 25x the death toll so far from the day he wrote that letter. He also provided multiple factual sources supporting his post.
He also provided one of the best blueprints I've seen about dealing with harassment campaigns such as this. Again, he was clairvoyant - both in his case and in those of others. Dr. Thomson was steadfast and insisted on facing the harassment bravely and head-on.
Mackenzie CEO Altaf Stationwala personally suspended Dr. Ben Thomson. The rumour I heard is Dr. Luke Bui, acting chief of staff, refused to do it and told Stationwala to do it himself. Regardless of why, it is incredibly rare for the CEO to suspend a doctor - it's MAC/chief's job
Stationwala claimed then and in multiple meetings with staff later that he did it for Dr. Ben Thomson's safety. This is negligence if true, but is more likely a laughable lie. Police assessed the situation as "low risk" within a day. Yet Dr. Thomson was not immediately reinstated Image
I can't say it better than Dr. Thomson did: "the safety concerns ... were a pretext", and were the result of opposition to "Dr. Thomson's vocal labeling of the actions of the state of Israel as ... genocide and/or contrary to international human rights law." Image
I am not a lawyer, but the accusations of "Misfeasance of Public Office", "Defamation", "Bad Faith Exercise of a Statutory, Public Office" all ultimately land at Stationwala's feet, not just as CEO, but as the hatchet man on Dr. Thomson's suspension. Image
And that brings us back to Stationwala coming to London Health Sciences Centre. If this rumour is true, it is a guarantee of scandal, both because of how it happened, and the conditions under which he's leaving Mackenzie, with his failure of leadership there.
I don't have a particular action plan - I'll add a message to this thread when I do. In the meantime, I'll leave this list of the board of directors at LHSC here: lhsc.on.ca/about-lhsc/boa…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tarek Loubani

Tarek Loubani Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @trklou

Apr 10
Western University's Schulich medical school is by now an active supporter of Israel's brutal atrocities in Gaza, which they refuse to condemn. Instead, they condemn and attack students standing against an obvious gen cide, including by promoting people who harm students. A 🧵
The med school and Western are capable of righteous moral outrage. 18 months before the war crimes ramped up in Gaza, they expressed shock and solidarity with Ukraine. They humanized Ukrainians' struggle against Russian occupation, showcasing them in official publications.

In the past 6+ months, not a word of support, outrage or condemnation for 40k+ Palestinians killed: doctors, nurses, medics, patients, and children killed at dizzying rates. None for attacks on ambulances, hospitals, universities, nor for what the ICJ ruled is plausible jenacide
Read 13 tweets
Jan 26
This is a wholly inadequate response that represents an absolute minimum effort. Breakdown of UOttawa's statement and my response. A 🧵
Why on earth was Dr. Kershin allowed to "voluntarily" recuse herself from the process. Why wasn't she immediately terminated? Is she seriously supposed to preside over the academic future of residents who are now admitted with this supposedly fair process?
Does UO believe Dr. Kershin is the only person engaging in this process? I've shown she's part of a larger effort to suppress doctors who advocate for human rights and against genocide. UO is actively choosing not to protect the best learners through faculty's actions & omissions
Read 7 tweets
Jan 25
Dr. Carly Kirshen is a program director for Dermatology at UOttawa. In a message responding to a CBC expose on student harassment, she asked for the list of students. We can assume she intends to use it to screen CaRMS applicants to her program. UOttawa knows and did nothing. Image
Concerned doctors saw these posts and privately wrote to University of Ottawa >2 weeks ago requesting action. Their demands are simple: immediate action to stop abuse of students; accountability; transparency. The university has not yet responded or acknowledged the messages. Image
The University of Ottawa is aware of these letters and has not yet taken any action. Dr. Kirshen remains the PD. She remains in charge of the CaRMS process. UOttawa has not said anything publicly or privately. Not one word in response to the complaint, even to acknowledge them! Image
Read 5 tweets
Jan 8
In my last thread on harassment of students, residents & learners, I mentioned Dr. Olga Shmuilovich deserved her own thread. Her posts (Irony_stop) are egregious and abundant. I organized them into categories: racism, harassment, pro-genocide, atrocity denial, and antivax. A 🧵
I got involved with Dr. Shmuilovich because she was part of a harassment campaign against a medical student even after he was cleared in a thorough investigation. But what I found looking through her timeline was deeply concerning. Image
Here are a few examples of her racist tweets. She appears to subscribe to the "Great replacement" theory and posts virulently racist tweets about any non-whites. I'm keeping it to 4/category for brevity.

Read 9 tweets
Jan 8
It is no secret that students, residents, physicians, and others are being harassed for their human rights positions. The scope of this harassment is wide. I will dissect one such campaign, how it is executed, and why the template is so easy to repeat. Anatomy of a campaign. A 🧵
The first part of a harassment campaign is a group willing to create a mob and direct its energies. Journalists have reported on several such initiatives. Below is a message in one group specific to medical students seeking to target an essential part of their medical education. Image
This campaign is still in progress. People involved above didn't stop because they were exposed - They deviated behaviour to increase perceived safety. I will post more about this campaign when it makes sense to do so. Meanwhile, let's examine a campaign we can now go public with
Read 20 tweets
Dec 21, 2023
I have been deeply mourning Dr. Hani Al-Haitham since he was killed a few days ago. I want to tell you about Hani, an incredible person and doctor. He was killed with his wife, Dr. Samira Al-Ghefari and their five children, Sherin, Thea (Tota), Sara, Samir, and Wafaa. A 🧵 Image
Hani just turned 41 years old when he was killed and only a few years into his career as an emergency doctor. He boarded in 2019 and became head of Shifa's ER a few weeks before COVID hit. He met the challenge, helping reconfigure the department for the pandemic. Image
Hani was a talented Emergency Physician, but Emergency was his second career. Hani was first an accomplished neurosurgeon. In 2009, he was part of the first team to remove a brain tumour in Gaza. This remarkable feat allowed patients to be treated under blockade in Gaza.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(